Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Hey - don't worry about it! It was good that you asked them to reclarify the question, otherwise you might have said something completely irrelevant to what they wanted. Even if you did not get a chance to demonstrate your firm motivation, it sounds like they did not provide much of an opportunity for that (although they did ask that question, they could have followed up if they were more interested in your firm motivation) and were more focused on your career motivation.

I know a candidate who had a similar experience at an MC firm, where she was asked about her career motivations but did not get much of a chance to express her firm motivations. The candidate was really upset afterwards, and thought the interview had gone disastrously as a result...but got the offer! The main takeaway is that you answered the questions you were asked to the best of your ability - if they do not ask you something, it is pretty hard to provide an answer!

So, I know it is a little disconcerting but try to focus on how well the interview went in other regards!
That’s definitely reassuring, thank you so much!! ☺️

Reactions: Anon08

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
Feb 19, 2021
Apparently Withers is still interviewing as we speak! I remember seeing interview dates that went to early March.

Wow! Maybe someone on this thread has one coming up and can confirm.

Mine was a few weeks ago and I do seem to remember it being in the middle of the interviewing window. Did they give you any details about whether it will be a phone call or email (whether successful or not)? :)

archerc22

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 17, 2019

Mine was a few weeks ago and I do seem to remember it being in the middle of the interviewing window. Did they give you any details about whether it will be a phone call or email (whether successful or not)? :)
    I didn't ask that specifically :/ but I imagine both?

Lawstudent1997

Distinguished Member
    Mar 2, 2021

They didn’t say if it would be a phone call or email to me, just that I’d be contacted and that they’d arrange a follow up call if unsuccessful for feedback🙂 how did you find yours? The first half of mine was ok but I definitely bombed some of their business questions/the mini case study so not massively hopeful😬

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    about the Gateley assessment, is it the final AC or is there something that follows it up? i'm kind of unsure of what it is really!

also if anyone has done it and wants to share some tips that would be great!
    This is the assessments prior to the AC. It’s a bunch of SJT, verbal reasoning and about 8 hard maths questions, followed by 4 VI questions.
    good luck!!!

deckoking123

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 27, 2019
    I've just finished my Dechert AC today! Pretty shattered lol. It's two back-to-back interviews with a written exercise right before: a proper grind.

Update on my first cycle:

23ish applications,
    3 through to AC,
    2 offers (Skadden and Ashurst)
    And waiting on a bunch of US firms like Cooley and MoFo with fellow US firm hodler @Aun Abbas

I've really enjoyed the interviews and applications at US firms specifically - if nothing comes out of this cycle, am definitely narrowing my strategy down to some delaware-law firms next cycle! :D

If anyone needs advice on Ashurst do PM me, I think I've replied to around 40 people so far for Ashurst and the list keeps getting longer!

*edit: you just need ONE!!!
    I actually resonate with this! I feel that firms are more accommodating when it comes to grades as well.

This is a break down of my official first cycle as a non-legal career change applicant -

31 application ( purely because I had free time after finishing my masters in November)
    3 through to AC
    2 offers ( Cleary Gott and Pinsent Masons) ( awaiting results on the AC with SPB)
    waiting for Mayer Brown post TI, Cooley post WG, Arnold Porter.

Whereas I haven't even been able to crack the first stage for many MC firms

archerc22

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 17, 2019
    Just got a call from Reed Smith, I've been awarded a place on their Spring Vac Scheme 😭😁😭

They didn’t say if it would be a phone call or email to me, just that I’d be contacted and that they’d arrange a follow up call if unsuccessful for feedback🙂 how did you find yours? The first half of mine was ok but I definitely bombed some of their business questions/the mini case study so not massively ho
    Hopefully Withers will get back to us soon!

Reactions: ZaraB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.