2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    I heard your camera has to be on throughout the tests...is this true? :oops:

Confused Thinking GIF
    Yep... but you can’t see yourself until vid interview. I was full on talking to myself during the maths qs so hope they enjoy

xvcardell

Jan 15, 2021
    Its really hard to give tips on this one imo as someone said previously the questions are very specific! All I can say is you do have unlimited time to think so I wouldn’t panic too much about that section. I think there was 5 qs?
    Thank you that is helpful!!! I've had VIs where you have like 15 second think time and I'm just there stuttering lmao. May I ask if they were more competency based questions and why the firm, or are there also commercial awareness qs?

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Thank you that is helpful!!! I've had VIs where you have like 15 second think time and I'm just there stuttering lmao. May I ask if they were more competency based questions and why the firm, or are there also commercial awareness qs?
    Again its quite hard to help without giving them away (and the test freaked me out by making a big point of saying you will be prosecuted for sharing anything) :((( 15 seconds is awful!

I’d just say prepare for a mix, some you can’t really prepare for due to the specificity of them (you will see what I mean!)

xvcardell

Jan 15, 2021
    Again its quite hard to help without giving them away (and the test freaked me out by making a big point of saying you will be prosecuted for sharing anything) :((( 15 seconds is awful!

I’d just say prepare for a mix, some you can’t really prepare for due to the specificity of them (you will see what I mean!)
    Aw no worries, thank you for your help!! I am sure you did better than you think you did :) I will come back to feedback after

• Love
    Reactions: CharlotteLegal

BorgP95

Jan 31, 2021
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but has anyone got any idea whether it’s better taking the WBD Pymetrics test on a laptop or a smartphone?

I see most people are suggesting a smartphone, so I will offer the opposite view! I did mine on my PC as I trust the receptivity of my mouse and spacebar far more than I trust the touchscreen of my phone. I'm not sure if they are adapted depending on which device you are using but it definitely wasn't difficult on the PC.

If you are into gaming as well, then I would strongly recommend the PC - your reaction times with keyboard/mouse will be strong and you will have the benefit of a bigger screen.

Good luck!!

Reactions: collie_121

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    I see most people are suggesting a smartphone, so I will offer the opposite view! I did mine on my PC as I trust the receptivity of my mouse and spacebar far more than I trust the touchscreen of my phone. I'm not sure if they are adapted depending on which device you are using but it definitely wasn't difficult on the PC.

If you are into gaming as well, then I would strongly recommend the PC - your reaction times with keyboard/mouse will be strong and you will have the benefit of a bigger screen.

Good luck!!
    Thanks for this!

I just completed it and did end up doing it on my smartphone, however can definitely see the benefits of doing it on a laptop in terms of having a bigger screen etc

Reactions: BorgP95

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    What should I practice for the maths element? I'm fairly confident on everything else but my mental maths is awful and I'm a bit worried about it.
    Best thing to do is to take a look at some mcquaig examples online. There is nothing especially complex, it’s all pretty basic. It’s just about being confident enough to work quickly. My biggest tip would be to move on if you don’t think you can answer a question quickly and go back to it. Then you’ll be able to use time you have left at the end more efficiently for anything you find takes a little longer.

Reactions: Matt_96

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    What do you guys reckon is the appropriate formality?
    If my interviewer's name is Jones Smith and he is considerably older than me, should I refer to him as Jones, or Mr Smtih?

Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.