2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringSolicitor

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
For those who got a PFO from Travers post-IV, just a heads up - they got back to me really quickly with super detailed feedback, so I'd recommend emailing Grad Rec. Really useful but only makes the rejection harder to swallow as the quality of the feedback has made me love the firm even more (imagine how well they treat their employees if they treat rejected candidates so well)... Also, they said it was a strong interview but my answer to just one of the ethical questions was muddled - guess it shows just how competitive the process is (missing out because of one below-average answer). Well done to those who got the VS. For me, onto the next...

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    It’s not perfect or finished but here she is!! View attachment 3125
    That's amazing!!
    the doctor wow GIF by Doctor Who

• Love
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    They have 15 TC available (5 for each year) and there are 15 Vac scheme spaces available so I assume they would consider start dates when finalising Vac scheme candidates but that’s just my observation :)
    So do you think that everyone who gets a vac scheme gets a TC? Or are there separate vac schemes for the different intake years? Or is it 15 people in spring and 15 in summer lol

Reactions: John Travoni

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    Guys, I just received a call from BPP University. They asked me to be an ambassador for them, enquiring why I chose not to study the LPC with them (applied for January start).

I told them this was due to cost and they said if I agree to become an ambassador for them (1-2 hours per month) - they will cover the cost of the LPC for me!!

I'm so surprised, this has come out of nowhere. Within an hour I had accepted a place and been enrolled onto part-time study.

Has anyone else had this?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Guys, I just received a call from BPP University. They asked me to be an ambassador for them, enquiring why I chose not to study the LPC with them (applied for January start).

I told them this was due to cost and they said if I agree to become an ambassador for them (1-2 hours per month) - they will cover the cost of the LPC for me!!

I'm so surprised, this has come out of nowhere. Within an hour I had accepted a place and been enrolled onto part-time study.

They are in a massive PR sh**..so I am not surprised. But pay attention as they tend to go back on their word! So use a solicitor and email (words fly ink stays). I did my LPC at BPP..I did not have a positive experience!

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

.... um did they mention they wanted to fund anyone else's LPC

happy parks and recreation GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    At what point in the process do firms reach out to referees? Is it before a vac scheme or before the TC offer out of interest?
    Depends on the firm and the nature of the references.

Some firms contact academic referees even before interviewing for vac schemes. Some only do this once you have accepted a TC... some will do it in the steps in between.

Some firms will have a policy of doing all vetting checks pre you starting a VS. Others, knowing they will have to go through that process again 2-3 years later when you join as a trainee may only choose to do it about 3-4 months before your TC starts.

Reactions: Lawgirl123

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018

There's definitely more to this story than BPP is letting on. I agree with what @S87 says about BPP's current PR crisis.

• 🤝
    Reactions: KS94

Sekani Wraith

Valued Member
    Aug 26, 2020
    So do you think that everyone who gets a vac scheme gets a TC? Or are there separate vac schemes for the different intake years? Or is it 15 people in spring and 15 in summer lol

from my understanding, it’s 15 in total so there’s a TC for everyone who’s on the scheme. That doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone will get one though, just means that it’s not a competitive scheme. They can offer less than 15 if they think some people aren’t the right fit or they can offer everyone a TC if they think everyone is the right fit and everyone performs well.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey folks,

For the NRF AC, have any of the stages (partner interview, negotiation, case study) been changed due to being online?

Specifically, the case study? Does it include a written element, so do we have to draft/write something or do we have a look at the case study and discuss with a partner/associate without writing/drafting?

Would appreciate an insight (anyone who done the winter vac scheme maybe since it was virtual)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.