Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thats interesting I didn’t know that. I just assumed that it was more of a case of interviewers feeding back to recruitmrnt with a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’. So do interviewers tend to pass on their notes to recruitment and then recruitment make a final decision based on the notes?
Yes. The only way an interviewer would be making the decision is if they are doing all the interviews and the interview is the only assessment. Otherwise what would happen if 5 different interviewers said yes to 5 candidates and you only had 1 role? Or if they did well in the interview but completely bombed another assessment?

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Anyone got any prep tips for Dentons AC? I've heard a bit about prepping finance related stuff but no idea where to start since I don't have any background in it!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I just received a VS offer for Mills & Reeve!

I actually cannot believe it - this time last year I was so dejected by the application process after failing to make it past the application stage of the vast majority of my applications. This year I'm sitting on three VS offers from my top three firms. I'm now in the (enviable) position of having to choose which to do and which to turn down...

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    hmm where did you get this info?
    Probably makes sense given their very small intake.

If you look at their recruitment brochure, they put their trainees front and centre, with very detailed profile descriptions. I guess they're very focused on finding the right individual as opposed to the right cohort.

And they can take their own sweet time, since all they really recruit from is just one summer vacation scheme.

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Congratulations to everyone who received VS offers from Mills & Reeve!

I really liked the firm, but I'm afraid it is a PFO for me this time after partner interview. You win some, you lose some 🤷‍♀️

Absolutely - if it helps, I was rejected post-interview twice in previous cycles and it's a horrible feeling, but after changing things up slightly this year, I'm having better outcomes. I hope M&R will be able to give you some helpful feedback?

It's definitely a long process with many ups and downs - but you'll get there🌟

Polyglot

Star Member
    Jan 24, 2021
    Absolutely - if it helps, I was rejected post-interview twice in previous cycles and it's a horrible feeling, but after changing things up slightly this year, I'm having better outcomes. I hope M&R will be able to give you some helpful feedback?

It's definitely a long process with many ups and downs - but you'll get there🌟
    Thank you, I appreciate your message. I am quite rejection-proof and know this is just a numbers game.

In fairness, I already secured a VS for this summer, so it is easy to be chilled out about this opportunity ending here. I suspect I might be a better fit for the firm who offered me a place anyway, but it would have been useful to find out during the schemes.

@Jessica Booker revelation up thread about the fact that the interviewers don't normally get to make final decisions also made it feel slightly less personal.

WannabeSolicitor24

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer 26
  • Apr 14, 2020
    I think Gibson Dunn interview one person at a time and then decide on them and then move to the next person
    This is true - I believe there's like four-six people interviewed every week at each stage
    Loool if that’s true that’s kind of insane. I have to admit it’s put me off the firm a little bit. Compared to a number of other US firms I have applied to they have been painstakingly slow.
    I guess you could say it is more personal? Prefer that to being one of 25-30 at an assessment day, even if it means waiting a little longer? That's my view anyway

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.