2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

liverpoollawyer

Esteemed Member
Feb 10, 2021
DWF? I don't think it would be a bad idea to be prepared for some general commercial awareness. I've had other "strength based interviews" where they've snuck in a couple of commercial awareness questions at the end. But it does sound from the email like the group exercise is the main part where they will be assessing CA.
Yes! Yeah I agree, best to just be prepared just in case

Becca

Feb 6, 2021
Hi guys :) I'm stuck on the last bit of this app question. Does anyone know the sort of thing they might be looking for?

Please tell us about your most outstanding personal achievement and how it added value to the environment you were in.

Thanks!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi guys :) I'm stuck on the last bit of this app question. Does anyone know the sort of thing they might be looking for?

Please tell us about your most outstanding personal achievement and how it added value to the environment you were in.

Thanks!

What have you done that really stands out to you as being something particularly special? Some example scenarios could be raising a lot of money for a charity or cause close to your heart (maybe even accompanied by an athletic feat e.g. a marathon or half-marathon), founding a university society, or even volunteering locally during the pandemic and being part of something bigger. I know that's something I've been earmarking to talk about in my upcoming interviews.

Once you have identified a topic that you consider particularly noteworthy, using the STAR approach, you should then go through what you did and then as a concluding paragraph explain how it made an impact. When doing so, it is extremely useful to quantify your particular contribution (e.g. I raised £A, which went to Charity B to support C people at Project D) as it conveys a sense of impact more effectively than words can do alone.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hey gals! Does anyone know the dates for the Reed Smith summer vac scheme or the Hill Dickinson London business stream vac scheme? Thanks :)
    Hiya, Reed Smith told me they haven't finalised the summer VS dates yet and that they'll let me know when they have so can deffo post them here/ pm you as soon as they do! But it may be a while!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Thanks!
    Hey Becca,

A question like this is really an opportunity to show that you are capable of making exceptional contributions to situations that you are in. In terms of the example you used in this question, you can use anything (law or non-law related) and I would advise generally trying to think outside the box here to make it both personal to you and an answer which will stand out from the crowd.

While you could use the STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result), I would probably go with CAR (Context, Action, Response) to place more emphasis on your "outstanding achievement". I would definitely recommend using a clear response structure, though, as it would be easy to forget about the latter half of that question having spent a lot of time focussing on the first part. I do discuss the STAR and CAR structures in my interview article, albeit not in the context of this particular question.

I hope this helps! :)

Reactions: Andrew M

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Does anyone know how long OC take to get back after the AC? I’m itching to find out even though I definitely messed up my interview
    I saw a few years ago somebody said it was roughly two weeks but I don't know how long it'll be this year! I'm sure it went better than you think - it's so easy to be critical and overthink everything you've said, especially when waiting and mulling it over!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.