2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    It is an assumption (which could be horrendously wrong) but given the wording on their email saying that for VS programmes their aim is to recruit undergrads, maybe this is something they have had to change their approach to given the volume of applications.

Reed Smith could be a very popular option this year given their innovative approach to qualifying. For anyone who can’t really afford the GDL/LPC (even if it is sponsored, many people can’t afford to live of the maintenance grant alone), Reed Smith is going to be a very attractive option where you can earn money while learning.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but I know the biggest factors that led me to apply there were not really Reed Smith-specific but more the fact that the deadline was quite a lot later, the application form (initially) was very easy and could be done quickly and there was no WG test. It just seemed like such a no brainer!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How deadly is a typo during/right before the vacation scheme lol? I was sending the firm some documents and misspelt 'scheme' as 'schene' in the subject line. (it's like my spell-check OCD was gone after finishing the written applications)
    Really not going to be an issue.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and konanslan

ar2r

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    This might be a stupid question but if I go into my 3rd year of a non-law degree do I need to be applying for the GDL, or should I wait and see if I get a vac scheme which converts to a TC? As (most) firms pay for the GDL it seems like a tight turnaround from a summer vac scheme to the GDL in September/ October. I know certain firms want you to do a firm-specific course or attend a particular uni so I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This might be a stupid question but if I go into my 3rd year of a non-law degree do I need to be applying for the GDL, or should I wait and see if I get a vac scheme which converts to a TC? As (most) firms pay for the GDL it seems like a tight turnaround from a summer vac scheme to the GDL in September/ October. I know certain firms want you to do a firm-specific course or attend a particular uni so I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Thank you in advance to anyone who replies! :)
    Unless you are graduating this year from a non-law degree and able to start the GDL by 31 December 2021, your only option will be the SQE route, so you don’t need the GDL.

Reactions: ar2r

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    I think my brain is just very tired, so I am trying to make sense of everything I read here - if I graduate in 2022 with a law degree, and I were to be offered a TC this year - could I still do the LPC? Thank you!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I think my brain is just very tired, so I am trying to make sense of everything I read here - if I graduate in 2022 with a law degree, and I were to be offered a TC this year - could I still do the LPC? Thank you!
    Yes - you can do the normal route until 2032 but your firm may want you to do the SQE instead. Hope that helps!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alex3107

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, you can. But the firm you train with could still ask you to do the SQE though.

jcatherine

Star Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    Also if you don't get a TC — I highly reccommend going to City, the teaching is really good and it's considered the best one for GDL as it's where most barristers train + class size is 14 which is not too bad

Reactions: ar2r and OB

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    Email them to ask for an update. I did and heard back two days later
    Lol I’ve emailed them like three times and no answer, so I called them and they said they just haven’t watched my video interview yet and will get back to me as soon as they do, but I’m so confused because they seem to have got back to everyone else within days of them completing theirs??

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Can somebody please explain to me why some (smaller office headcount yet still very international) US firms in London do not sponsor international students studying at UK universities for their TCs, but have American lawyers working for them under work visa sponsorship?

I completely understand the dynamics between a well established fee earner vs a trainee, but I've heard that firms spend more on office decoration than on visas, and are nevertheless extremely profitable.

• Wow
    Reactions: FM302989
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.