Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There could be an interesting dynamic this year for many firms (not sure if this is the case for Freshfields) as they could be recruiting less candidates this year and yet still be recruiting the same number of people in the cohort, because the SQE could be shortening the timescales in legal education, especially for non-law grads.

It could also be the case that firms have had to defer more trainees from previous years due to the pandemic.

Stephen King Shakespeare GIF by PeacockTV

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
There could be an interesting dynamic this year for many firms (not sure if this is the case for Freshfields) as they could be recruiting less candidates this year and yet still be recruiting the same number of people in the cohort, because the SQE could be shortening the timescales in legal education, especially for non-law grads.

It could also be the case that firms have had to defer more trainees from previous years due to the pandemic.

Stephen King Shakespeare GIF by PeacockTV
Out of interest, how will the SQE affect training contract places in the coming years? would it be less competitive as I heard people who are legal assistants/paralegals can easily qualify via their current experience

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Out of interest, how will the SQE affect training contract places in the coming years? would it be less competitive as I heard people who are legal assistants/paralegals can easily qualify via their current experience
If anything I expect it to become more competitive. As you no longer have to commit to the GDL/LPC, it becomes more affordable for people to seek the qualification route.

Also it opens the market up to international qualified lawyers too. The people who would have taken the QLTS and have qualified through this, now need to do the SQE and gain 2 years work experience too.

But the number of opportunities will dramatically increase too. As the qualifying work experience piece is no longer regulated, it means anyone can offer qualifying work experience, while currently an organisation would need to be approved by the SRA as a recognised training provider and have a training principal who signs off the “period of recognised training”.

The other thing that will make it less competitive is people are less likely to pass the SQE than the LPC. Pass rates will be significantly lower - and so there will be a much higher attrition rate where people do not pass the qualification exams. So if anything, expect firms to up their total “training contract” numbers, but expecting that 20%+ off their trainees will either not pass probation periods (which currently don’t exist) or don’t pass SQE1 and/or 2.

Jerome

Dec 1, 2020
Hey, So I'm applying for a TC and one of the questions asked "From the research you have done, what do you think (blank) will need to do to stay competitive in the legal market" (The firm's PMC if that makes a difference)

The problem is that some of the things I would say the firm has done or I dunno how viable it is given COVID. For instance, they have merged with another firm a couple of years back, expanding doesn't seem very feasible at the moment because of the economic climate which also impacts the suggestion of improving salaries to attract better lawyers. Finally, I feel the investment in technology answer is already obvious especially given covid. The only thing I can think of is cutting back office space and using that to put more money into tech.

Also, I'm thinking how they stay competitive is up for interpretation like obtaining new clients, attracting new employees, growing revenue etc.

Last edited:

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
If anything I expect it to become more competitive. As you no longer have to commit to the GDL/LPC, it becomes more affordable for people to seek the qualification route.

Also it opens the market up to international qualified lawyers too. The people who would have taken the QLTS and have qualified through this, now need to do the SQE and gain 2 years work experience too.

But the number of opportunities will dramatically increase too. As the qualifying work experience piece is no longer regulated, it means anyone can offer qualifying work experience, while currently an organisation would need to be approved by the SRA as a recognised training provider and have a training principal who signs off the “period of recognised training”.

The other thing that will make it less competitive is people are less likely to pass the SQE than the LPC. Pass rates will be significantly lower - and so there will be a much higher attrition rate where people do not pass the qualification exams. So if anything, expect firms to up their total “training contract” numbers, but expecting that 20%+ off their trainees will either not pass probation periods (which currently don’t exist) or don’t pass SQE1 and/or 2.
When will the SQE start? Is it for the people applying for the 2023 training contracts or 2024? Why is the SQE so hard to pass? ... this has scared me 😳

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When will the SQE start? Is it for the people applying for the 2023 training contracts or 2024? Why is the SQE so hard to pass? ... this has scared me 😳
Its already started - first exams for SQE will be this November.

There is a transition period where people can still do existing route (depending on their circumstances).

It depends on the firm you are applying to. Some are transitioning to the SQE in 2023, some in 2024. Some will allow people to take the existing route for a few more years though. You really need to find this out from each firm you apply to.

Ultimately having two sets of assessments to pass rather than one (with the LPC) will lead to lower pass rates overall.

Last edited:

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Its already started - first exams for SQE will be this November.

There is a transition period where people can still do existing route (depending on their circumstances).

It depends on the firm you are applying to. Some are transitioning to the SQE in 2023, some in 2024. Some will allow people to take the existing route for a few more years though. You really need to find this out from each firm you apply to.
Thank you, good to know! Do you know the firms who have already started this? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

aspiringlawyer004

Nov 8, 2020
I'm thinking of applying for Freshfields direct TC in the summer window, but I'm unsure if I'm eligible and wondering if anyone can help.

They state on their website that GDL graduates can apply. I am currently doing a masters version of a GDL and will finish the GDL portion in April, but I have a project that is not due until the end of July, which is after their deadline. I should get my results from the April exams in June. Do you think I will be eligible to apply for a direct TC (assuming I pass)?

@Jessica Booker maybe you can advise on this?

lozza_2

Distinguished Member
Nov 25, 2019
I'm thinking of applying for Freshfields direct TC in the summer window, but I'm unsure if I'm eligible and wondering if anyone can help.

They state on their website that GDL graduates can apply. I am currently doing a masters version of a GDL and will finish the GDL portion in April, but I have a project that is not due until the end of July, which is after their deadline. I should get my results from the April exams in June. Do you think I will be eligible to apply for a direct TC (assuming I pass)?

I sent an email to grad recruitment in December about this as I also have done the MA Law conversion course and they said to me that I would be classed as a law student and so could apply in the summer window if I wanted to 🙂

Reactions: aspiringlawyer004

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

You have started the GDL so are eligible to apply in the summer window.

Reactions: aspiringlawyer004
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.