2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSta

M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2019
In the same boat with Winston & Strawn.

If anybody has interviewed with them this cycle, could you please let me know if they've started giving out offers yet or what stage they're at with their interviewing process? I'd really appreciate it!
FYI one of my friends has an interview with Winston tomorrow so they are still doing interviews at the moment.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I found this document quite interesting! https://www.shlegal.com/docs/defaul...ctures-2021_web-version.pdf?sfvrsn=2e84ed5b_0

Insight pages on firms' websites often have great overviews too! Good luck with your AC :)

Personally, I'd be a bit wary of learning stuff like this the day before an interview if you're not already prepared and aware of these issues. Whilst it may be good to have a story that's relevant to them, the last thing you want is to mention something you read about the day before and then being grilled on it further by people who are experts in the field and it becoming clear you don't really know all that much about it.

My advice would be to focus on the commercial awareness areas that interest you as ultimately the interview is designed to get to know your interests, not the interests/areas expertise of the interviewers.

PS: best of luck with your AC!

I’d suggest Retail Week (but I agree with Dan’s point!)
    Thank you all! Just prepping in case they ask me anything - I was interested in property litigation when I made my app but things changed a bit since then so my knowledge isn't very current

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Putting up the defences for the inevitable Forsters rejection after people had their AC invites last night:

(Congrats those who did btw!)

It's not a PFO til it's a PFO! I literally did my Simmons and Simmons app on the day of the deadline as a joke because I wanted to practice video interviews and they send them to every candidate. I have my AC tomorrow!

Given how long Forsters has taken to get back to some of us (I'm waiting to hear back from the 2022 cycle lol), it's not unreasonable to think they have a lot of people to get through and won't be giving all answers straight away. You still have a chance.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Does anyone know where I can find a rundown of important trends happening right now in property law/real estate? I got my AC tomorrow and turns out almost everyone interviewing me is a commercial real estate practicioner...

I don't know but I can certainly tell you about what I talked about in my interview with Trowers yesterday which was John Lewis's intention to enter the affordable housing market and whether it was the future of big retailers with large amounts of land but decreasing need for it, or whether it is a risky gamble that might go wrong given the onerous burden of affordable housing regulation on providers and the existing pressures facing the company. There are articles about it everywhere in the Times' business section as well as the FT.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I don't know but I can certainly tell you about what I talked about in my interview with Trowers yesterday which was John Lewis's intention to enter the affordable housing market and whether it was the future of big retailers with large amounts of land but decreasing need for it, or whether it is a risky gamble that might go wrong given the onerous burden of affordable housing regulation on providers and the existing pressures facing the company. There are articles about it everywhere in the Times' business section as well as the FT.
    Thank you for this !! I'll have a look in the Times/FT in that case since they usually link similar articles!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    For all those who have an AC, @Paul - Shearman & Sterling posted something very interesting

"I've interviewed a lot of people for #vacationschemes recently. I've found that the vast majority of candidates are talking about the same commercial news stories. These are:

1. Regulation of 'big tech'
    2. The death of the high street
    3. SPACs

The analysis of these issues also tends to be the same.

Don't forget, the interview is an opportunity to differentiate yourself. Giving your own analysis on topics and news stories is the best way to do this"

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
    Hey! This cycle I applied to 10 firms, got invited to three ACs and got two VC - I would defo say focusing on the quality of applications (at least that's what I did, but I am aware it is also a numbers game). I would say to vary the types of firms you are applying to as well!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Andrew M and Deleted member 8227

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can someone just tell me something reassuring before my AC this morning
    Probably too late for ahead of your AC, but just remember you are one of a very small minority of people who have got to that stage. The firm see a lot of potential in you and want you to succeed.

Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Alex3107

Star Member
    Future Trainee
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Does anyone know where I can find a rundown of important trends happening right now in property law/real estate? I got my AC tomorrow and turns out almost everyone interviewing me is a commercial real estate practicioner...
    Dentons and Eversheds have really amazing real estate reports, I've used them quite a lot in my ACs.

moesha12

Jan 3, 2021
    Has anyone still not heard back from MoFo after second round interview?? Did mine almost a month ago now so not feeling too positive but also just want an answer at this point
    If they gave you a time frame by which you could expect to hear back and they've exceeded this quite substantially, I would say there's no harm in following up with an email. I know some people don't like doing this though through fear of looking impatient (myself included lol)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Out of curiosity, do people recommend only applying to around 10 firms that you really love or trying to apply to like 25+ ? I'm trying to plan ahead for next cycle
    Apply to as many firms as you can without sacrificing the quality of those applications is normally the best advice - for some people that may be 5 due to the time they have available, for others that may be 30 but obviously, the more apps you send the greater your chances!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Deleted member 8227
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.