2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N.9

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    Speaking of Forage, do people tend to put the certificates etc on their LinkedIn? I don't know if they are considered 'legitimate' enough to do so? Any thoughts on this?

manifestingaTC

Esteemed Member
  • Nov 5, 2020
    Just had the weirdest post AC feedback call. grad rec didn’t have the notes from my interviewers/ assessors so couldn’t pinpoint specifically where that seemed to be an issue but generally said “ more personality coming through” (even though I’d built up rapports with other candidates and laughed with the interviewers in interview) - which seems like I just wasn’t the right fit? but then encouraged me to apply next year (I hadn’t asked as I have no intention to) and said they’ll help with app process?
    Im usually one to take criticism constructively but I’m just a bit confused by this one ! I would’ve liked more transparency feedback wise - has anyone else had similar experiences where the feedback was unhelpful ?

• Wow
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Obviously varies but what’s the average % of candidates who are taken to AC stage? just out of curiosity
    The percentage will vary massively.

But let’s say a firm gets 2,000 applications and is hiring 50 trainees, I would expect it to be roughly 6% of applicants get to an AC stage.

Although not a law firm, I have known that percentage to be less than 1%.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: layla rose

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Just had the weirdest post AC feedback call. grad rec didn’t have the notes from my interviewers/ assessors so couldn’t pinpoint specifically where that seemed to be an issue but generally said “ more personality coming through” (even though I’d built up rapports with other candidates and laughed with the interviewers in interview) - which seems like I just wasn’t the right fit? but then encouraged me to apply next year (I hadn’t asked as I have no intention to) and said they’ll help with app process?
    Im usually one to take criticism constructively but I’m just a bit confused by this one ! I would’ve liked more transparency feedback wise - has anyone else had similar experiences where the feedback was unhelpful ?
    I feel you so so much.

I made it to the "third" round of Reed S. app and politely asked a feedback because I made it so far. The only thing that they said to me is that I did not mention why reed in my first answer. Well you are asking me why commercial law, why don't you ask why commercial law at Reed Smith?

This process is debilitating as without a constructive feedback there is little room for improvement. Stay strong!

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    I'm aware that some firms call their candidates to inform them regarding interview invites, etc. However, I am currently studying remotely from outside the UK, and my UK mobile number is switched off.

I have mentioned my alternative local number in all my applications, so will firms try and contact me on that number if they don't get a response from my UK number? Would appreciate your thoughts @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm aware that some firms call their candidates to inform them regarding interview invites, etc. However, I am currently studying remotely from outside the UK, and my UK mobile number is switched off.

I have mentioned my alternative local number in all my applications, so will firms try and contact me on that number if they don't get a response from my UK number? Would appreciate your thoughts @Jessica Booker
    If a firm can’t get hold of you they will try alternative contact details, including email.

My advice would be to have voicemail or call forwarding from your UK mobile though!

Reactions: djqb

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Speaking of Forage, do people tend to put the certificates etc on their LinkedIn? I don't know if they are considered 'legitimate' enough to do so? Any thoughts on this?
    The LinkedIn content debate has popped up a few times... in all honesty, it depends.

I have to be 100% honest and say that I find it pretty sickly when people put up a 6-paragraph essay thanking everyone and their granny's dog for absolutely everything they ever do. When I post to my LinkedIn personally, it's either something to do with TCLA or something which I'd consider an achievement of some note (vac scheme, TC etc). I personally wouldn't put up a post for something which falls outside of this.

In re the Forage programmes that some firms do, I probably wouldn't personally include them in my profile as they're non-selective, but there's definitely nothing wrong with sticking them in the certificates section, for example. Just a matter of preference.

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    It’s been two weeks post VI, is it appropriate to email the graduate recruitment team to see if they have any updates? I don’t want to bother them of course so would really appreciate your advice!
    Those are rookie numbers, try almost six weeks! Jk but to answer your question W&C told me we should hear by this Friday latest so if we don’t I’ll call again on Monday and lyk what they say :)

JayC

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 8, 2021
    It's not a PFO til it's a PFO! I literally did my Simmons and Simmons app on the day of the deadline as a joke because I wanted to practice video interviews and they send them to every candidate. I have my AC tomorrow!

Given how long Forsters has taken to get back to some of us (I'm waiting to hear back from the 2022 cycle lol), it's not unreasonable to think they have a lot of people to get through and won't be giving all answers straight away. You still have a chance.
    Do Simmons send the VI to every candidate? I assumed you had to pass the situational judgment test first

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    Applied to a firm for direct TC with A-level requirements of AAA. I emailed grad rec beforehand to ask If I should still apply as I don’t meet the minimum they told me to apply.

I got an email today stating I have been shortlisted and have to do the Critical Thinking Test - don’t give up everyone.

After this there’s an interview but still slow and steady wins the race (hopefully) haha

edit* my Alevels were CCE 😅 so I was shocked

N.9

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 1, 2021
    The LinkedIn content debate has popped up a few times... in all honesty, it depends.

I have to be 100% honest and say that I find it pretty sickly when people put up a 6-paragraph essay thanking everyone and their granny's dog for absolutely everything they ever do. When I post to my LinkedIn personally, it's either something to do with TCLA or something which I'd consider an achievement of some note (vac scheme, TC etc). I personally wouldn't put up a post for something which falls outside of this.

In re the Forage programmes that some firms do, I probably wouldn't personally include them in my profile as they're non-selective, but there's definitely nothing wrong with sticking them in the certificates section, for example. Just a matter of preference.
    Thanks very much, Jacob!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You can put it on your LinkedIn Profile - I personally wouldn’t put it in as work experience (but then I am the person who loathes people putting open days and careers events in work experience too) but you could put it in other sections of your LinkedIn profile.

layla rose

Legendary Member
  • Nov 27, 2020
    Applied to a firm for direct TC with A-level requirements of AAA. I emailed grad rec beforehand to ask If I should still apply as I don’t meet the minimum they told me to apply.

I got an email today stating I have been shortlisted and have to do the Critical Thinking Test - don’t give up everyone.

After this there’s an interview but still slow and steady wins the race (hopefully) haha

edit* my Alevels were CCE 😅 so I was shocked
    Rooting for you!! 😍

lawgeek_301

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 1, 2020
    Hello, has anyone ever been placed on the reserve list for a VS before? I have just been informed that I did not get a VS but was told that my interview went very well and that they would like to offer me a VS if someone rejects their offer (which they said could happen anytime until the actual scheme starts in summer). Should I get my hopes up at all or not? I just really did not expect this and don’t know how to feel about it so I would love it if someone could provide me with some perspective:) thank you!

acceleratedlaw

Legendary Member
    Jan 27, 2020
    Hello, has anyone ever been placed on the reserve list for a VS before? I have just been informed that I did not get a VS but was told that my interview went very well and that they would like to offer me a VS if someone rejects their offer (which they said could happen anytime until the actual scheme starts in summer). Should I get my hopes up at all or not? I just really did not expect this and don’t know how to feel about it so I would love it if someone could provide me with some perspective:) thank you!
    i remember someone last year being put on a reserve list for a VS and not only did they end up getting on the scheme, but they were also offered a TC. so don't feel discouraged at all, you never know where it all ends up!

• Love
    Reactions: lawgeek_301

user254

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 7, 2020
    Hi everyone :D
    Ive just received an email inviting me to a final interview for a legal internship. Prior to the interview I will be sent a one page contract to review. The email says I should aim to make basic edits and identify any gaps. This is the first time I will have ever done something like this so if anyone has any advice on how to approach the task it would be much appreciated!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.