Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, has anyone ever been placed on the reserve list for a VS before? I have just been informed that I did not get a VS but was told that my interview went very well and that they would like to offer me a VS if someone rejects their offer (which they said could happen anytime until the actual scheme starts in summer). Should I get my hopes up at all or not? I just really did not expect this and don’t know how to feel about it so I would love it if someone could provide me with some perspective:) thank you!
A couple of questions to ask them back.

1) where are you on the waiting list? Are there other people ahead of you on the waiting list, and if so can they give you an indication of where you are on the list so you can manage your expectations

2) what would be the latest date they would potentially consider still offering you a place?

For them to operate a waiting list, it clearly is possible for people to be offered from it. If they historically didn’t need the waiting list, they wouldn’t operate one now.

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
Hello, has anyone ever been placed on the reserve list for a VS before? I have just been informed that I did not get a VS but was told that my interview went very well and that they would like to offer me a VS if someone rejects their offer (which they said could happen anytime until the actual scheme starts in summer). Should I get my hopes up at all or not? I just really did not expect this and don’t know how to feel about it so I would love it if someone could provide me with some perspective:) thank you!
Hi, I was on the reserve list for a VS this year (the AC took place in mid-Feb and I found out a week later I was a reserve) and I found out on Friday I have an actual place! Obviously it's not certain that you will get a place but I think it is quite likely as there will be people who have several vac schemes with clashing dates so don't lose hope! Good luck and I hope you find out soon you have a place :)

• Love
Reactions: lawgeek_301

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Do Simmons send the VI to every candidate? I assumed you had to pass the situational judgment test first

If you pass the situational judgment test you will get sent it, there's no examining of your application or anything because the app form doesn't really form a significant part of the process. All I had to do was put some basic details about my hobbies that I copy pasted from other answers. In total, doing that and the SJT took me maybe 15 mins tops?

I did prepare quite a bit for the VI though, although I was utterly convinced that I failed because my answers weren't very serious as I just wanted to get a feel for the questions and the online tests which were sent at the same time were seriously difficult.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    The LinkedIn content debate has popped up a few times... in all honesty, it depends.

I have to be 100% honest and say that I find it pretty sickly when people put up a 6-paragraph essay thanking everyone and their granny's dog for absolutely everything they ever do. When I post to my LinkedIn personally, it's either something to do with TCLA or something which I'd consider an achievement of some note (vac scheme, TC etc). I personally wouldn't put up a post for something which falls outside of this.

In re the Forage programmes that some firms do, I probably wouldn't personally include them in my profile as they're non-selective, but there's definitely nothing wrong with sticking them in the certificates section, for example. Just a matter of preference.
    I seem to remember doing a non-selective Inside Sherpia scheme for a firm and it telling me not to put it as "work experience". They gave a certificate so that participants could add it under "licenses and certificates".

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Applied to a firm for direct TC with A-level requirements of AAA. I emailed grad rec beforehand to ask If I should still apply as I don’t meet the minimum they told me to apply.

I got an email today stating I have been shortlisted and have to do the Critical Thinking Test - don’t give up everyone.

After this there’s an interview but still slow and steady wins the race (hopefully) haha

edit* my Alevels were CCE 😅 so I was shocked
    If you don’t mind me asking, what firm is this ??

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    guys, whats the average salary for a paralegal in London
    Depends what experience you have and what area you’re working in I believe.

I can tell you that in Yorkshire my first Paralegal job was 17k, my new one after 1.5yrs exp will be 19.5k. In London I expect it’ll be 20ish? But again it can get quite lucrative from what I see being posted in areas like IP if you get super experienced.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: acceleratedlaw

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Hi everyone :D
    Ive just received an email inviting me to a final interview for a legal internship. Prior to the interview I will be sent a one page contract to review. The email says I should aim to make basic edits and identify any gaps. This is the first time I will have ever done something like this so if anyone has any advice on how to approach the task it would be much appreciated!
    Do you mind sharing which legal internship is that?

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.