2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    This is not an application rewlated question but it is about university grades and impact on future applications.

I am studying at BPP and am doing my exams in the pandemic. Most of you know that universities have given students 24 hours for online exams and some were given 72 hours for online exams in this pandemic. At BPP for undergraduate degree we were only given 4 hours and had had to sit the exam at the exam time. What do law firms think of this and do they know about this. Maybe @Jessica Booker you might be better to this query.

Should I state this in my applications or are law firms aware of this.

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    So after 10 months of waiting, I just received my Orrick PFO. Honestly, I don't get this anymore. This was my best application to date, and it seems I progress the applications that are more last minute than the ones I work hard for. I work with some of these law firms on the other end of transactions (and with their trainees......) and I genuinely know I am "good enough" to get further than a mere PFO over and over and over and over and over again. This goal of getting a TC is getting really, really annoying. Feel very angry and not even sad anymore. Rant over, hope I'm not alone with feeling like this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is not an application rewlated question but it is about university grades and impact on future applications.

I am studying at BPP and am doing my exams in the pandemic. Most of you know that universities have given students 24 hours for online exams and some were given 72 hours for online exams in this pandemic. At BPP for undergraduate degree we were only given 4 hours and had had to sit the exam at the exam time. What do law firms think of this and do they know about this. Maybe @Jessica Booker you might be better to this query.

Should I state this in my applications or are law firms aware of this.
    Law firms won’t care to be frank about this. If you were doing the exam in person it would be a fixed time. Everyone in your cohort will be under the same conditions. There is no need to mention it in applications.

MzM

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 11, 2019
    Have heard rumours in the financial world that the fallout of the Goldman associate survey has been other banks (+ Apollo) dishing out bonuses as a thank you to associates!

i feel so much better tony hale GIF by Veep HBO

• Haha
    • Wow
    Reactions: jan28 and FM302989

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Hey all, how would you go about mentioning future VSs you have coming up in a direct TC application, if the firms you've got VSs with are all varied, and different to the one you're applying now? E.g. you've got a US and MC VS coming up, and now you're sending a direct TC to a mid-market UK firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey all, how would you go about mentioning future VSs you have coming up in a direct TC application, if the firms you've got VSs with are all varied, and different to the one you're applying now? E.g. you've got a US and MC VS coming up, and now you're sending a direct TC to a mid-market UK firm.
    You just have to make sure you are explaining what that firm in motivational answers. Almost deal with the elephant in the room (or in your application) that it looks like you are applying for second best.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Yes - if it's virtual it might be one week online like last year but they're planning it to be in person. The first week is a presentation week where everyone from across the UK offices comes to London. It's just so frustrating that I had to turn down another vac scheme for it :( But I am on the reserve list!
    That does suck! I think all three of my offers have confirmed that they're running our scheme online now.

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    You just have to make sure you are explaining what that firm in motivational answers. Almost deal with the elephant in the room (or in your application) that it looks like you are applying for second best.
    Hmm well I think I can justify my motivation for the firm pretty well, but I don't think I could directly address why I've applied to BOTH them and some of my other firms (e.g. I find it very hard to find much if any similarity between a high-end US PE-focused firm and a mid-market asset finance UK firm). So in that case, if the difference is so glaringly obvious, would it better to simply leave out my upcoming VS that I can't marry with this firm, even if my specific motivation for this firm is solid?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.