2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
My 2 cents on commercial awareness... A few weeks ago I asked whether people recommended becoming a paid subscriber with Watsons Daily and I received some great responses from @Daniel Boden @FM302989 @lozza_2 and @MzM. After 2 weeks of subscribing, I wholeheartedly recommend it. The daily newsletter groups together categories of news so it is much easier to remember and recall, the format itself is very engaging too and the daily podcast goes into a bit of detail on two pieces of news already mentioned in the daily newsletter. The weekly roundup reinforces everything you have read in the daily newsletter too. The Zoom call is also amazing and surprised me that you can ask Peter (the guy who writes the newsletters) any commercial awareness questions - e.g someone last week asked him to explain SPACs. Personally I think all of this is great value for £5 a month and I have learnt more in the last two weeks than a year before listening to the Economist/ daily FT podcast.

I also listen to the Wake up to Money podcast after reading Watsons Daily as in most cases they mention the same stories but expand on them by getting people's opinions on the story.

CharlotteLegal

Distinguished Member
  • Jun 13, 2020
    Every applicant did a VI? :O Assuming people may not make it to the next stage on the basis of their application as well then, as the app must count for something
    Its probably a lot of pages ago now but I’m fairly sure someone on here was in contact with GR and they said everyone was given a VI (unsure if it was benchmarked and thats how the apps were used but I think they said it was everyone). Its their first year doing it so maybe they didn’t realise how much work it’d be? 😂

• Haha
    Reactions: Holly and law89

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    My 2 cents on commercial awareness... A few weeks ago I asked whether people recommended becoming a paid subscriber with Watsons Daily and I received some great responses from @Daniel Boden @FM302989 @lozza_2 and @MzM. After 2 weeks of subscribing, I wholeheartedly recommend it. The daily newsletter groups together categories of news so it is much easier to remember and recall, the format itself is very engaging too and the daily podcast goes into a bit of detail on two pieces of news already mentioned in the daily newsletter. The weekly roundup reinforces everything you have read in the daily newsletter too. The Zoom call is also amazing and surprised me that you can ask Peter (the guy who writes the newsletters) any commercial awareness questions - e.g someone last week asked him to explain SPACs. Personally I think all of this is great value for £5 a month and I have learnt more in the last two weeks than a year before listening to the Economist/ daily FT podcast.

I also listen to the Wake up to Money podcast after reading Watsons Daily as in most cases they mention the same stories but expand on them by getting people's opinions on the story.

Can't remember if I chucked this into the convo as well, but I'd recommend getting a Lexology account. You get morning emails on practice areas of interests (corporate, real estate, private client etc.) including articles put out by law firms on those topics.

These are written to be client friendly, but a lot of them will be quite high level and some articles aren't worth reading, but can be very helpful to stay in the know. I personally find this helpful as some articles are directly applicable to work I do in my current Paralegal role

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Can't remember if I chucked this into the convo as well, but I'd recommend getting a Lexology account. You get morning emails on practice areas of interests (corporate, real estate, private client etc.) including articles put out by law firms on those topics.

These are written to be client friendly, but a lot of them will be quite high level and some articles aren't worth reading, but can be very helpful to stay in the know. I personally find this helpful as some articles are directly applicable to work I do in my current Paralegal role

Thank you so much, this is great, I'll definitely sign up, sounds like a great application resource too!🙂

Ryan B

Aug 12, 2020
    Thank you! Never heard of this before. Do you pay for the premium? Just trying to figure out if I am getting good value for money. Deloitte told me I can get it FT for free as they already pay for it. So may cancel that and get it through work.
    Yes, I pay for premium. I agree with what @ZaraB said further up - great value for money :)

• Love
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and ZaraB

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Is it worthwhile emailing graduate recruitment for some application feedback after getting rejected post application?

Honestly, I'm just sick of being rejected at this point. I've spent months on researching and writing applications, attending events, months spent gaining legal work experience through cold emailing firms, going for open days, networking, and its just fucking frustrating at this point.

It's a bloody draining process that makes you question your self worth, and when you get rejected, firms simply tell you that "rejections are made on very small margins" or "you were a very strong candidate, but unfortunately...".

If firms want to show that they truly care about D&I, all they need to do jot down a couple points with every rejection they send out, and spend some more money on GR and employ more people to read applications (instead of bragging about having concierge services or fancy new offices). That's it. Not everybody has hundreds of £ to spend on application review services, just to find out what "small margins" they are being rejected on.

Sorry for the rant but I'd appreciate it if anybody could answer my question. Thank you.
    It can be - it honestly may be just luck in some cases whether or not a firm gets back to you. If you're sure you don't want to work there in the future you can always try a SAR as well

Reactions: djqb

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Re Reed Smith: email says they're still in the process of screening and will be in touch by week commencing 12th April with an outcome. They aim to hold interviews w/c 3rd May and virtual vacation schemes will take place during week commencing 28th June and 5th July.

Reactions: Law2022 and djqb

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    I've just got an email from Jones Day saying they were impressed with my performance but they've just filled up all their places for the Summer Scheme so are going to put me on the reserves list. Does anyone know how likely it is that anyone will drop out last minute?
    I was on the reserve list for a different firm and a month later they called me to say a spot had become available! Even though they have now filled their places, they are probably giving the candidates some time to confirm their place and other candidates may drop out later due to clashing dates etc! The fact that they even have a reserves list suggests that they have used one in previous years, so I wouldn't lose hope :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.