Taking a year out: at a disadvantage?

em2211

Apr 1, 2021
Hi there, I'm currently a second year non-law student who is considering a career in commercial law. I've attended various insight schemes this year, and was planning on applying for vac schemes next year. However, as someone who has little life experience outside of education (went straight from school to uni), I'm worried that I might miss out jumping straight into a career as demanding as commercial law.

My question is: do you think that taking a year out post-graduation (before vac schemes/GDL/LPC, etc.) would harm my chances of a career in the sector, and would it be looked upon negatively by firms?

Any opinions would be really appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi there, I'm currently a second year non-law student who is considering a career in commercial law. I've attended various insight schemes this year, and was planning on applying for vac schemes next year. However, as someone who has little life experience outside of education (went straight from school to uni), I'm worried that I might miss out jumping straight into a career as demanding as commercial law.

My question is: do you think that taking a year out post-graduation (before vac schemes/GDL/LPC, etc.) would harm my chances of a career in the sector, and would it be looked upon negatively by firms?

No not at all in my opinion. Obviously it depends how you use your time and how you frame it e.g. if you show it as personal development through travel/learning about new cultures etc. then I think it'd be a great thing to do before you start your career as you won't get the time again when you start :)

Elle W

Valued Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hiya, I took a gap year following my non-law degree and moved abroad, where I worked in a restaurant and learnt the language. I had a great time and it was so nice to do something non-academic and it also really gave me some time to think about what I wanted in the future, so from a personal perspective, I really couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Even though it was completely unrelated to law, it has been an interesting talking point in both applications and interviews, and improved skills like cultural awareness and resilience, both of which are important if you want to work in an international law firm. I don't think it has been perceived negatively by law firms at all (and in fact in one interview, a partner had also lived in the same city and it immediately got the interview off to a good start). If anything, it will help differentiate your application which can only be a good thing when considering how competitive law is!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019

It's great you are reflecting on this. I'd definitely recommend a 'year out' - as long as you use it wisely. The other thing to realise is that the timing on VS applications is tight and you won't, for instance, find it so easy to spend the full year abroad. It may take a few cycles to get a TC under your belt too, but in the meantime maybe the SQE will be up and running and you won't be a guinea pig for that!

Travelling and working is always a terrific combination - either learning about life as a barista at a coffee shop in a city you love, or working with other people on a farm, or selling ice cream in a ski resort... Even staying here in the UK and doing an actual real job at a supermarket or for a temp/nanny/etc agency will stand you in good stead for employment in the future. Just bear in mind that the applications take WAY longer than you think they are going to, but that's another reason to concentrate on your Finals and get the 2:1 you need. Then ensure that whatever job you get enables you to spend the time you need to stay commercially aware, build skills, practice the WG and make high quality targeted applications to firms you actually want to interact with.

@Jessica Booker will have the official line on your prospects too. Always a helpful view!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi! Sorry I missed this earlier in the week.

I personally didn't take any time out (tbh I'm champing at the bit to get into my career!) but I don't think you'd remotely be at a disadvantage - on the caveat that you do something productive and meaningful with your time (working/ travelling/ gaining experience/ volunteering etc etc).

Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Wouldn't be of harm at all, unless you didn't do anything with that year (e.g. you just sat around and did very little). Most firms would probably encourage you to take a year out while you could and do anything that would build your skill set, interests, knowledge, or just give you a wonderful experience.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello!

It definitely won't be viewed as a negative thing at all. Small personal anecdote here but one of the best compliments I have ever gotten was when GR were giving me feedback post AC, they said that one of the partners specifically requested that they let me know I apparently "made his day with the conversation you had with him". I knew exactly what part of the interview he was referring to and it was the bit where I really delved into what I'd gained from the gap year I took.

As someone whose now taking a second gap year, the one thing you really need to keep in mind to make sure you're having a "developmental" year is to be as systematic about your goals as you would if you were working towards a more traditional outcome (like getting good grades for example). What I mean by this is you need to set a timeline for yourself in terms of things like when you'll learn the beginner levels of X language by, when you'll reach Y stage in a new sport you're picking up, how many books you'll read by Z date, etc. It sounds counterintuitive, but the more free time you have, the more organised you'll have to get.

Also, even if all you do with the year is travel, work on VS/TC apps and have a great time, that's still productive! Many firms I've interviewed at don't even notice the gap year I took, the ones that ask about it only ask because I've chosen to mention it in my application. So don't worry too much about it and really, do what you want! ;)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.