Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all,

I'm currently working on an application and I'm struggling with a specific part of the question. I need to explain the transferable skills I have, how I demonstrated them and how I will apply them as a trainee solicitor. I am fine with the first two parts but I'm not sure how to do regarding the last one.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

For the third part, I'd recommend being as specific as possible about the kind of day to day tasks trainees undertake and where the transferable skills you're talking about in the first part comes in. For example, we all know trainees need organisational skills yes, but why? Potentially because as a trainee you'd be managing deal signings/closings, so needing to keep track of hundreds of documents requiring signatures from different people across different time zones. Basically for the third part demonstrate your understanding of the role of a trainee.

Jedward87

Star Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    I'm still waiting... it's been 3 weeks now, so starting to think that it's a no. Have you heard back yet?

I haven’t, I was told that I’d hear back between 2/3 weeks, and it’s past three weeks now. I’d bet it’s anytime this week but it’s just a bit frustrating, esp as other streams and offices have heard back.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Has Macfarlanes started giving out ACs for the TC? I've seen a few rejections on here but no ACs

I don't know if this will help, but to provide some context, when I applied for Macs' direct TC last year, my AC invite was in late July. They might be running things differently this year with such an increase in applications.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sam55

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    If this were me I would work on the basis that there are certain skills we all know a trainee has to have to complete their job to a high standard, and utilise one of them.

Take, for example, drafting skills and the ability to write to different audiences. I've built drafting skills over numerous platforms from working as a staff writer for a large magazine, to academic writing in University, to writing here in the forum, to consulting-based educational writing I do on the side.

I will apply those skills as a trainee because I will need to vary my writing style depending on the content, nature, and audience of the communication I'm making. E.g., if I am drafting a letter of advice which is to ultimately end up with a client, I need to explain things very differently to how I would need to write that same substantive content in a memo for a partner going into a meeting. Similarly, if I was drafting an update article for my practice area's section on the firm website, my writing style would be different again.

This question is asking you, in the simplest terms, to show that you have an understanding of the skills you need to become a solicitor and that you're capable of exercising them.

For the third part, I'd recommend being as specific as possible about the kind of day to day tasks trainees undertake and where the transferable skills you're talking about in the first part comes in. For example, we all know trainees need organisational skills yes, but why? Potentially because as a trainee you'd be managing deal signings/closings, so needing to keep track of hundreds of documents requiring signatures from different people across different time zones. Basically for the third part demonstrate your understanding of the role of a trainee.

Thank you so much both for your input, it makes more sense now!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Yep, the email with the test invite states “You will then receive an e-mail from us no later than 15 April 2021 confirming the outcome of your application”... hoping that’s still the case and we hear today
    Oh right! Thanks for reminding me :) I'm honestly dreading emails from grad rec.. they've all been rejections recently :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: John Travoni and Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.