Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Rejection from Travers post-app.

That rounds off my application cycle! 6 ACs, 5 VS offers and numeerrrooouuss rejections!

I'm sure I'll be back soon to tackle some direct TC apps :)

Absolutely amazing - congratulations! PS: I really wouldn't worry about making direct TC apps at all ;)

Reactions: 33c and breadpitt

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    You can ask but be prepared for the firm to say no. I'd also be wary of how this would affect your chances at the TC since you'll be gaining less exposure and potentially be assessed on less tasks. I know someone personally who was allowed to do only one week of a vac and somehow got the TC offer, but I would say this is the exception and definitely not the norm.
    Thank you Dheepa :)

Reactions: Dheepa

Gs4

Star Member
    Feb 18, 2021
    Did anyone else get an email from Fieldfisher to say they are cancelling the final assessment centre for the diversity access scheme because places are now full? It was meant to be next week. realllyyy frustrating

• Sad
    Reactions: Legalmel_99

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but my vac schemes overlap by a week. They don't do direct training contract route - do you think it would be appropriate to ask if I am allowed to only complete one week of the VS? Because if not, I' would have to turn down the offer.
    I requested this of a firm yesterday but understandably, they said no. Always worth asking though :)

Reactions: breadpitt

Kola

Legendary Member
    Sep 27, 2020
    Did anyone else get an email from Fieldfisher to say they are cancelling the final assessment centre for the diversity access scheme because places are now full? It was meant to be next week. realllyyy frustrating

What is the point of a diversity access scheme if you're not even going to let the candidates who applied get their foot in the door? :rolleyes:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! I applied to a firm end of January & haven't heard a peep since. Is it worth me asking them for an update? should I call or email? @Jessica Booker maybe you can provide some insight...

Thanks everyone!
    Email in the first instance. Call a couple of weeks later if you haven’t heard back.

Reactions: JoeyTr

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What is the point of a diversity access scheme if you're not even going to let the candidates who applied get their foot in the door? :rolleyes:
    They potentially may have found diverse talent through the direct route. But agree there is little point of running a scheme if you aren’t going to allow people the opportunity to complete it.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    anyone heard from dechert since ac? orrick since wg? and goodwin [for direct] since email just before easter?
    I haven't heard from Orrick since WG - submitted by WG on 22/03. They're most recent email suggested we'd hear back before the end of this week but then again, they've said that before then postponed so not entirely sure.

Reactions: Jammo58 and Adrian_Healey

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    I haven't heard from Orrick since WG - submitted by WG on 22/03. They're most recent email suggested we'd hear back before the end of this week but then again, they've said that before then postponed so not entirely sure.
    oooh when did they email you? only because i've not received anything. hope we hear back soon - the wait is becoming excruciating.

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Hi, I'm no expert but as a recent graduate, I found the cover letters that I have progressed to interviews with were heavily based on the skills in the job description and person specification. I tend to structure my answer by showing how I demonstrated each of the skills asked of me in a similar way to a law application, using STAR and quantifying my experiences where I could. I'd also include specific information on the criteria they requested like my availability and right to work in the UK. Hope that helps!

Very simply, write:

- why them
    - why the opportunity
    - why you

As advised above, look closely at the job description and try to link specific details about you to the requirements of the job.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

ola830

Star Member
    Jan 9, 2021
    Hi,

I've successfully applied to a few non-law graduate schemes now and my general CL structure is

1. Why am I interested in the role/opportunity - I'd focus on demonstrating a tangible link between my own experiences and the role
    2. Why that particular company
    3. Why me - what skills I could bring and linking it very clearly to the skills and responsibilities mentioned in the job description

I also think that compared to law firm cover letters, you should keep non-law ones as short as possible. Anything over a page and its probably already too long.
    Thank you!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    oooh when did they email you? only because i've not received anything. hope we hear back soon - the wait is becoming excruciating.
    First email post-WG - 26/03 stating we would hear back by the end of the following week.
    Second email post-WG - 01/04 - suggested that because there had been so many high-calibre apps the short-listing was taking longer than expected and we should expect to hear back in the next two weeks (that was exactly 2 weeks ago today)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.