2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys for those who applied to Ashurst in the covering letter did you lot discuss your interest in Ashurst or not as there is a question about why Ashurst is different in the application also. @Jaysen what are your thoughts on this as I know you said in one of the threads that some people have discussed their interest in Ashurst in the covering letter. Thank you in advance.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Guys for those who applied to Ashurst in the covering letter did you lot discuss your interest in Ashurst or not as there is a question about why Ashurst is different in the application also. @Jaysen what are your thoughts on this as I know you said in one of the threads that some people have discussed their interest in Ashurst in the covering letter. Thank you in advance.

Hey Asil, you might find this helpful :)

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    hi guys, I have a legal internship interview coming up (in-house intern at a startup) and was wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to prep for this kind of interview and what kind of questions to expect? - im so used to prepping for ACs and being so law specific that i'm not sure if it will be any different for somewhere thats not actually a law firm! Thanks for any help you can give!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey Asil, you might find this helpful :)

Thank you for this Jaysen.

Reactions: Jaysen

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I just had a call from a graduate recruiter at a law firm about a role she thinks I would be interested in, and it wasn't like an interview or anything but I was so surprised she called me and I was in the middle of an online session.... and so I feel like I blew it.

I do think I sounded enthusiastic about the role, but when she asked me about my career goal....all I could muster was that I want to qualify as a solicitor. I could tell by her reaction that she expected a bit more... but my stupid brain blanked and I didn't say anything else. Once the call ended my mind was flooded with so many things I could have added...and now I can just cry and am beating myself up because this can be such a great opportunity for me after months of struggling to find anything....and I feel like I didn't even make a good impression 😭😭😭😭😭
    Don't worry at all - it's not like you were anticipating the call in any way so I'd be really surprised if they were going to hold what you said to a high standard. They should know that you'd be shocked from receiving it totally out of the blue, I definitely wouldn't have been able to produce anything coherent!!! I really doubt that this will impact on your chances in any way so try not to worry about it :)

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    I haven't actually posted it here yet - a couple of weeks ago I was offered a TC :D

It took me 3 application rounds to get here. In previous rounds, I made the mistake of 'catching feelings' for one firm and then only really applying to them. Although this meant I usually got to AC, I had some development yet to do before I could stand out and be picked from the pool of seriously impressive candidates.

This round, I applied to 6 firms. I was offered 2 VSs and 1 direct TC. I withdrew from the last stage of a fourth firm and was rejected by the other 2, one post-app and one post-AC.

All of the firms I applied to have Tier 1 private client and/or family practices as this is what I feel most excited about (still keeping an open mind) but my TC offer is so tempting that I feel satisfied pulling out of one VS and asking not to be considered for a TC with the other.

I know this is 'the Corporate Law Academy' but, despite my infiltration as a private client applicant, I have learned soo much from everyone and found the forum so comforting during the process 🌟

l0133

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 14, 2020
    I haven't actually posted it here yet - a couple of weeks ago I was offered a TC :D

It took me 3 application rounds to get here. In previous rounds, I made the mistake of 'catching feelings' for one firm and then only really applying to them. Although this meant I usually got to AC, I had some development yet to do before I could stand out and be picked from the pool of seriously impressive candidates.

This round, I applied to 6 firms. I was offered 2 VSs and 1 direct TC. I withdrew from the last stage of a fourth firm and was rejected by the other 2, one post-app and one post-AC.

All of the firms I applied to have Tier 1 private client and/or family practices as this is what I feel most excited about (still keeping an open mind) but my TC offer is so tempting that I feel satisfied pulling out of one VS and asking not to be considered for a TC with the other.

I know this is 'the Corporate Law Academy' but, despite my infiltration as a private client applicant, I have learned soo much from everyone and found the forum so comforting during the process 🌟
    congratulations!!

• Love
    Reactions: LawGrad2019

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020

Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Private client is such amazing work!!!

relentlesspursuit

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 26, 2019

Huge congrats! Hope you have a well-deserved celebration outdoors this weekend

• Love
    Reactions: LawGrad2019
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.