Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    After an interview/AC how long does it normally take to hear back if successful? ie when should you give up hope haha?
    Think it literally depends on the firm ahaha. Macfarlanes call successful people 1-2 days after the AC and you receive a rejection email in a similar timeframe so they're normally really good but other firms I'm not sure

Reactions: datguyak

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    After an interview/AC how long does it normally take to hear back if successful? ie when should you give up hope haha?

It really varies from firm to firm. Some firms (e.g. HSF, Ashurst) have been known to give some offers out on the day of the interview/AC, many firms tell people within a week, some wait until after all ACs are complete.

Some firms are quite bad with rejections though. Last year, I had a 30 day wait and a 50 day wait for two of my post-AC rejections.

Reactions: datguyak

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you so much Jaysen!

The portal looks correct and tried to call Paul who is the recruitment manager but I couldn’t get through. Do you think I should email to check or just leave it? Not sure what to do for the best! :)

Personally, I'd leave it as I don't think this was a mistake. You do sometimes hear stories about mistakes like this, but it's very rare!

That said, if you think it'll bother you - there's no harm in confirming.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Personally, I'd leave it as I don't think this was a mistake. You do sometimes hear stories about mistakes like this, but it's very rare!

That said, if you think it'll bother you - there's no harm in confirming.

Thank you Jaysen, I think I will leave it because I think that surely they would notice I’ve booked my slot and that it would be an error. Don’t want to look too doubtful! I appreciate your help! :)

datguyak

Esteemed Member
    Nov 20, 2018
    Think it literally depends on the firm ahaha. Macfarlanes call successful people 1-2 days after the AC and you receive a rejection email in a similar timeframe so they're normally really good but other firms I'm not sure

It really varies from firm to firm. Some firms (e.g. HSF, Ashurst) have been known to give some offers out on the day of the interview/AC, many firms tell people within a week, some wait until after all ACs are complete.

Some firms are quite bad with rejections though. Last year, I had a 30 day wait and a 50 day wait for two of my post-AC rejections.

Ah okay cheers guys- just was a bit concerned because everyone seems to hear back immediately if it's positive news- probs just happens to be certain firms

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you so much! Won’t believe it until next Tuesday probably
    I had an interview with them last cycle, my first ever and I was nervous. I, like you, had very little notice for this. It was with head of Grad Recruitment Paul Gascoyne and a partner. It was based a lot on my application - and the application questions. How Shearman maintains competitive advantage (which is still a question in the app I believe), Why Commercial law, why London. I also had a commercial interest question. Be confident and take your time. Maybe use the three point answer. Firstly, I believe...secondly etc.
    Good luck and be yourself, let them get to know you. - I liked the firm a lot.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I had an interview with them last cycle, my first ever and I was nervous. I, like you, had very little notice for this. It was with head of Grad Recruitment Paul Gascoyne and a partner. It was based a lot on my application - and the application questions. How Shearman maintains competitive advantage (which is still a question in the app I believe), Why Commercial law, why London. I also had a commercial interest question. Be confident and take your time. Maybe use the three point answer. Firstly, I believe...secondly etc.
    Good luck and be yourself, let them get to know you. - I liked the firm a lot.

Ahh this is so helpful! Thank you! I wasn’t too sure what to expect at all so that is really useful to know. I will have to try and prep effectively for this sorts of questions and just really hope I get my Hogan Lovells feedback before then too!

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Ahh this is so helpful! Thank you! I wasn’t too sure what to expect at all so that is really useful to know. I will have to try and prep effectively for this sorts of questions and just really hope I get my Hogan Lovells feedback before then too!
    Take a look on their website - I am sure you have already - there are some FAQs with Paul Gascoyne and they run through what they are looking for in podcasts. The website is quite comprehensive and very useful.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Take a look on their website - I am sure you have already - there are some FAQs with Paul Gascoyne and they run through what they are looking for in podcasts. The website is quite comprehensive and very useful.

Ansolutely! One of the reasons I like the firm is because they help applicants so much with their material! Thank you for your suggestion! :)

Roland

Distinguished Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Hey guys! I just got invited to do a video interview for Gowling WLG's summer vacation scheme after passing their game-based behavioural test (which was very different).

The email says 'it is a short interview to give you a realistic preview of the type of work we do at Gowling WLG and also what our culture is like. This means that we will present you with a scenario and will ask you how you would deal with it, what action you would take and how you would achieve a positive outcome'.

Has anyone done a video interview with them before? I'm guessing this a situational judgement test in the form of a video interview (and probably mixed with competency based questions). Any tips would be appreciated! I've also posted a new thread in the 'interview discussion' session but thought I'd share it here as well. Thank you!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: J Malone, Roch1234 and PHT
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.