Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Will_

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Really last minute ask, have got the AC tomorrow, but...

Does anyone have any information on the NRF written task? I'm being assessed for a Spring Vac Scheme.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Reactions: J Malone

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

Does anyone have any information on the NRF written task? I'm being assessed for a Spring Vac Scheme.

Really sorry I can’t help specifically here Will but all the best with your AC! Remember, if there’s a lot of material, don’t be afraid to discard bits you feel are not important and write clearly and concisely. I’ve heard separating sections with sub-headings can be useful but I really don’t have any idea about NRF or what to expect. If you haven’t looked at the Slaughter and May interview thread yet maybe it would be worthwhile? They have a written element to their interviews and perhaps something will be helpful, even if a bit generic. Good luck and really hope you enjoy the day!! :)

Reactions: _Will_

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Unfortunately, we don't have too much info on the NRF interview. As Alice said, I'd just keep in mind the general advice for written exercises:
    • Read the client’s or lawyer’s instructions very carefully. The task/intro will often flag up points they want you to emphasise in your answer.
    • A good draft uses unambiguous language. Get straight to the point and provide clear definitive answers. Try to make sure every word is there for a reason. Use simple language and short sentences to convey your points clearly. Don't sit on the fence.
    • Take the time to plan your answer and try to identify the most relevant information to use. The assessors are looking to see who can distinguish between what is useful and what is not.
    • Have a clear structure: Consider using subheadings, numbered points and paragraphs to make your answer easy to read.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jay-Lo and _Will_

_Will_

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2019
    Really sorry I can’t help specifically here Will but all the best with your AC! Remember, if there’s a lot of material, don’t be afraid to discard bits you feel are not important and write clearly and concisely. I’ve heard separating sections with sub-headings can be useful but I really don’t have any idea about NRF or what to expect. If you haven’t looked at the Slaughter and May interview thread yet maybe it would be worthwhile? They have a written element to their interviews and perhaps something will be helpful, even if a bit generic. Good luck and really hope you enjoy the day!! :)

Unfortunately, we don't have too much info on the NRF interview. As Alice said, I'd just keep in mind the general advice for written exercises:
    • Read the client’s or lawyer’s instructions very carefully. The task/intro will often flag up points they want you to emphasise in your answer.
    • A good draft uses unambiguous language. Get straight to the point and provide clear definitive answers. Try to make sure every word is there for a reason. Use simple language and short sentences to convey your points clearly. Don't sit on the fence.
    • Take the time to plan your answer and try to identify the most relevant information to use. The assessors are looking to see who can distinguish between what is useful and what is not.
    • Have a clear structure: Consider using subheadings, numbered points and paragraphs to make your answer easy to read.
    Thanks guys -- really appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it goes!

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
    Has anyone heard back from Mishcon de Reya or Addleshaw Goddard recently? I submitted a VI for both of them a week and a half ago and not heard anything....

Log on to the portal for AG and check the status there because I got an AC invite on Friday but never received an email (still now!). Congrats on the DLA Piper AC! I still haven't heard back from them...

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Log on to the portal for AG and check the status there because I got an AC invite on Friday but never received an email (still now!). Congrats on the DLA Piper AC! I still haven't heard back from them...

I just tried that but it still says 'Invitation to video interview' which makes me concerned that my VI didn't submit properly. I sent them an email asking that they would confirm they have received my VI but haven't heard back!

Thank you, was very surprised actually as really thought I did terribly on the numerical test!

Maral

Dec 8, 2018
    I just tried that but it still says 'Invitation to video interview' which makes me concerned that my VI didn't submit properly. I sent them an email asking that they would confirm they have received my VI but haven't heard back!

Thank you, was very surprised actually as really thought I did terribly on the numerical test!
    When did you submit your VI? If you go back on to the VI invitation (on Sonu), it should say that it was successfully submitted.

Yeah, I don't think I did great on the tests which is why I'm worried. A few people have had AC invites so not sure why I haven't heard back (even if its a rejection!).

Insecable

Star Member
    Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 16
    Jan 13, 2019

I am in the same position. I definitely submitted my VI because it was confirmed by Sonru. Hopefully we hear back soon.

Reactions: Katie R
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.