TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
I realise I am in a fortunate position so apologies if this comes across insensitively, but I've been offered a TC and I'm waiting to hear back from another firm that I recently completed a vac scheme at. The issue is that the second firm won't get back to me until early August, exactly the time when I need to get back to first firm by. I may not get an offer for the second firm so all this could be irrelevant, but when should I be letting the second firm know I have another offer? I don't want to be in the position where I lose the first offer while waiting for the second firm to get back to me.
Every firm I did a placement with told me that if I were to receive another offer I should get in touch and let them know.

Reactions: Kubed

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    I realise I am in a fortunate position so apologies if this comes across insensitively, but I've been offered a TC and I'm waiting to hear back from another firm that I recently completed a vac scheme at. The issue is that the second firm won't get back to me until early August, exactly the time when I need to get back to first firm by. I may not get an offer for the second firm so all this could be irrelevant, but when should I be letting the second firm know I have another offer? I don't want to be in the position where I lose the first offer while waiting for the second firm to get back to me.
    congratulations Kubed!! do you prefer the 2nd firm? if yes... I would say reach out to them! Let them know the position you find yourself in and who knows? maybe they could expedite the process. good luck!

Reactions: Kubed

s.omething

Apr 21, 2021
    Pleased to say after this very sad post a few months ago .... I just got a TC offer, at my first choice of firm. :) Funny how dramatically things can change in such a short period of time.

Popped a mini prosecco bottle, got myself a celebratory takeaway. But if I could go back and tell my A-Level self anything, it would still probably be to not do law, because the job market is so ridiculous. I'm really proud of myself that I managed to pull this off, despite getting so close so many times and getting nothing. But I was just as good a candidate six months ago as I am now, and I was rejected countless times. The element of 'luck' required in the training contract search is just too high. There are just too many law graduates out there. What a crazy system.
    Rejected by Dechert following VI.

I knew I f*d the first question (out of only three), but not gonna lie, this one has hit me really hard today. I've only got two other firms to hear back from that I applied to in January (BCLP and Arnold & Porter*)- and I'm pretty sure from what some have said in this thread that A&P have already sent out their invites. By the looks of it I've had my application rejected out of hand, despite having a TC interview with them last year and (though I didn't get it) they said they really liked me and that I should apply again. Now I'm going to have to start a whole new wave of applications for direct TCs. It just feels so daunting. I know most people here will be in the same boat, but just wanted to vent. I do have one vacation scheme to look forward to in June, but that scares me as well because I already had one in January and nothing came of it. HR said I had done really well, but it was between me and another person they thought seemed more committed to their practice areas. I really had tried my absolute hardest, and this is what scares me about the vac scheme I have coming up. I am determined to crush it, but I know that at the end of the day, my best might just not be good enough, and then I'll be back to square one.

I'm turning 30 in a matter of weeks, am about to finish my PhD, and I still have yet to launch my career. And the applications per place ratios just seem to be getting worse. I am just terrified and feel like a failure. Most of the time the rejections wash over me but this time it just really hit me. Sorry don't know where else to say this.

*Edit: three, also Peters & Peters, a boutique firm.

miso

Jun 4, 2021
    Yesterday, I received a call from a large national firm offering a legal assistant position which could potentially lead to a TC if I do well as an assistant. I also have 2 ACs coming up tomorrow and next week. The firm that offered me a legal assistant position want to know whether I will take their offer by tomorrow, which is when I have my first AC for my dream firm. I'm not sure what to do :(

I'm not sure whether to accept the legal assistant role knowing I have a decent job to start soon with prospects of gaining a TC with them. Or, risk it and reject their offer and see whether I will be successful for these 2 ACs I have coming up for actual TCs.

I'm really worried if I reject this legal assistant offer and I'm not successful at my ACs I would just really regret it and end up with no job at all.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Yesterday, I received a call from a large national firm offering a legal assistant position which could potentially lead to a TC if I do well as an assistant. I also have 2 ACs coming up tomorrow and next week. The firm that offered me a legal assistant position want to know whether I will take their offer by tomorrow, which is when I have my first AC for my dream firm. I'm not sure what to do :(

I'm not sure whether to accept the legal assistant role knowing I have a decent job to start soon with prospects of gaining a TC with them. Or, risk it and reject their offer and see whether I will be successful for these 2 ACs I have coming up for actual TCs.

I'm really worried if I reject this legal assistant offer and I'm not successful at my ACs I would just really regret it and end up with no job at all.
    Take it and leave later if the ACs go well! The job gives you the chance to learn how to handle essential tasks.

Reactions: W, miso and JoeyTr

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021

agree with @S87 Take it and leave later

Reactions: miso

finalyear

Standard Member
    May 28, 2021
    If you say personal reasons, the firm is potentially going to ask you whether it feasible for you to defer instead.

Just be honest - you are going into a career where integrity is vital.

The firm won’t really care what your reason is for reneging, they will just be disappointed that you are. Unfortunately this is part of the process and some damage will be made, but that’s ultimately a price you pay for securing multiple offers and having to choose one over the other. You have to let someone down.

As a matter of politeness, call the firm and confirm you will be reneging the offer previously given as you have another TC offer with another firm. Be prepared for them to ask you what firm it is. Then follow up in writing (Via email) to confirm you are reneging.
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I agree with you and Jacob that honesty is the best policy. Can I ask if it is a good idea to tell them what the firm it is?

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021

I would accept the role but be clear about your intentions and any AC's that you already have scheduled that you would need time off for. Unless these are for TC's starting in 2021 then you have time to build valuable experience and earn whilst you await your start date if successful in securing a TC.

miso

Jun 4, 2021
    I would accept the role but be clear about your intentions and any AC's that you already have scheduled that you would need time off for. Unless these are for TC's starting in 2021 then you have time to build valuable experience and earn whilst you await your start date if successful in securing a TC.
    agree with @S87 Take it and leave later
    Take it and leave later if the ACs go well! The job gives you the chance to learn how to handle essential tasks.
    Thank you so much for your responses! As RoughWood mentioned, one of the ACs is for 2021, so would it be ok for me to only work the legal assistant role for a short amount of time (a 6 months fixed term contract) until I start the 2021 TC if I were to be successful?

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    Thank you so much for your responses! As RoughWood mentioned, one of the ACs is for 2021, so would it be ok for me to only work the legal assistant role for a short amount of time (a 6 months fixed term contract) until I start the 2021 TC if I were to be successful?
    do you know what the notice period is for the role yet?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah..but be smart. Do not go into your new role by saying oh by the way I am leaving! Just take the job because they have not assured that a tc will be offered to you. Plus, you are going to a party where you have not been invited to. Be smart..it is about money and experience!

JoeyTr

Valued Member
  • Jan 4, 2021
    yes the contract provides that it is 'terminable on one week’s notice by either party'
    definitely take the job - if you end up receiving an offer off the back of an AC, you can always leave. 1 week notice period is very reasonable so you're in a good position. Just play it smart like @S87 advised ;) good luck!

• Love

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hi guys, really need some advice and other people's viewpoints about doing the LPC next year. I just finished the GDL this year (self-funded) but have not secured a TC and am still in the process of applying but I'm really having doubts as to whether I'll be able to secure anything this year. I have an offer to do the LPC at ULaw in Sept this year but am unsure about whether I should take out a post grad loan for this or find other employment e.g. paralegal and carry on applying to TCs in the hopes of getting it funded (either the LPC or SQE). My main worry is that I don't want to fork out the money and have a loan if my future employer is going to put me through the SQE anyway but at the same time if I can help it, id rather go the LPC route and avoid being the guinea pig cohort for the SQE - if anyone is in a similar position please let me know! I'd love to hear what you are thinking :))

Reactions: ElleWoods

s.omething

Apr 21, 2021
    Hi guys, really need some advice and other people's viewpoints about doing the LPC next year. I just finished the GDL this year (self-funded) but have not secured a TC and am still in the process of applying but I'm really having doubts as to whether I'll be able to secure anything this year. I have an offer to do the LPC at ULaw in Sept this year but am unsure about whether I should take out a post grad loan for this or find other employment e.g. paralegal and carry on applying to TCs in the hopes of getting it funded (either the LPC or SQE). My main worry is that I don't want to fork out the money and have a loan if my future employer is going to put me through the SQE anyway but at the same time if I can help it, id rather go the LPC route and avoid being the guinea pig cohort for the SQE - if anyone is in a similar position please let me know! I'd love to hear what you are thinking :))
    My personal view: Don't pay for the LPC. If you get a TC, they will pay for you anyway. If you don't get a TC, you won't have wasted your money. Only do it if you're pretty god damn sure you're gonna get a TC, otherwise why put yourself in even more debt, it's not worth it. The legal training industry is such a racket, it exploits people who are looking for a job that statistically speaking they more likely than not will not get.

Reactions: GXA123 and FM302989

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I agree with you and Jacob that honesty is the best policy. Can I ask if it is a good idea to tell them what the firm it is?
    They might ask you anyway. I always used to ask as I wanted to know who my competitors were.

AH97

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 30, 2019
    Can't fully believe I'm writing this but, following a successful VS, I've been offered a TC at my dream firm!!!

I've been a bit MIA on TCLA since I started a new job in January but all of the advice I received on this forum last year was instrumental to my success so thank you so much everyone!!

If anyone wants any advice or has any questions, feel free to message me and I'll do my best to help 🤍

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is a bit blunt (sorry it’s one of those weeks where you get super blunt Jess giving you advice!)

You tell the firm you have certain days booked for annual leave (your assessment centre dates) and you cannot work on those days ahead of you accepting the assistant role.

You accept the job unless they have problems with you taking the above days off. If they do have a problem with you taking time off, then you weigh up the risks (you don’t have to tell them it’s for an AC, you can just say you have personal/family commitments on those days).

You go to your ACs if that is all feasible.

You wait to see if you get an offer first from any other firms

If you do, you’ll just resign at the appropriate time and work your notice period.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

First off, huge congratulations on your TC offer! Always nice to see active members get those TCs!! I would tell the second firm that you have another offer and also inform the first firm that you're waiting to hear back from another firm by X date and ask for extra time past X date to consider both offers. This is what I did in a similar position!

Reactions: Jaysen and Kubed

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Every firm I did a placement with told me that if I were to receive another offer I should get in touch and let them know.

congratulations Kubed!! do you prefer the 2nd firm? if yes... I would say reach out to them! Let them know the position you find yourself in and who knows? maybe they could expedite the process. good luck!

First off, huge congratulations on your TC offer! Always nice to see active members get those TCs!! I would tell the second firm that you have another offer and also inform the first firm that you're waiting to hear back from another firm by X date and ask for extra time past X date to consider both offers. This is what I did in a similar position!
    Thank you all very much! I will definitely touch base with both firms.

I am so grateful for all the support and information on these forums. My vac schemes and TC offer would not have been possible without you all. I will definitely be sticking around and trying to help others with their journeys to a TC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.