TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karinny

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Question for anyone who has done the LPC (specifically at ULaw).

What is the main difference between the case study on the LLM and MSc?
    I just finished my LPC LLM, so I can provide some insight on the LLM side.

You do 4 electives of your own choice, instead of 3 which would otherwise be Law and Business on the MSc on top of Business Law and Practice as a core module.

For the LLM, you do a PPRR (Professional Practice Research Paper) which ULaw gives 14 sort of 'dissertation titles' you can chose from. They range from business ones to employment law or personal injury etc. You can chose any one title and the title gives instructions on what you should cover, so there's quite a lot of direction - you're not left on your own interpretation on what the title means and what not.

You have 3000 words to write the paper and then an additional 500 words reflecting on how completing the research paper contributed to your learning and development.

They release the title in Feb/March time and you have until early July to submit, so you have a lot of time to do it whether you chose to do it before or after all your exams. I did mine after my exams, there was a week between after all my exams finished and the due date for PPRR.

I can't give much info on MSc, but I believe on our campus LPC groupchat people mentioned doing more personal research and there might be more than one essay you have to write??? I can't be completely certain but if you're ever unsure and want to change from LLM to MSc or vice versa, you can (within reasonable time limits, I changed mine during my first term of the LPC)! I originally chose Msc but I realised business isn't really something I enjoyed too much and I liked how there was more choice when it came to what titles I could chose for LLM.

Hope this helps!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi all! I received a rejection after my first vac scheme which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought went really well, and I’m now feeling a bit down over what to do next. I’ve just finished my non law degree, and was planning on doing the GDL - but I’m now doubting if I’ll be able to secure a TC next cycle. Alternatively, I’m considering paralegalling next year to gauge a better idea of whether this career is definitely for me. Trying to be resilient by looking into my next options but I’m finding it a little bit daunting! Thank you :)
    I can relate to not knowing whether the career is for you - I did my LLB (civil law), then went straight into my LLM (UK) and came out of it feeling really overwhelmed. I had only just learned about TCs / vac schemes and I wasn't in a place to focus my attention on it yet - I also didn't know anybody in commercial law so the thought of people committing to a 4 year path seemed MAD to me. I started paralegalling about 2 weeks after my graduation and I have LOVED it, and honestly without it I don't know if I would have stayed in law because I just wouldn't have fully understood what it meant to work in law. If you can afford it I would say start the GDL (someone at my firm told me to get it out of the way while I still could before the SQE kicks off) - lots of firms will even considering refunding you for your GDL if you've completed it before you get a TC. I've only started TC apps this year, but have been feeling more confident than I think I would have if I had started doing so right away because I now know that no matter what, there are associates/partners who know I am competent to work at a firm - even if it takes me a little longer to get a TC!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: kr253, Jaysen and ZaraB
    A

Anon 11031

I just finished my LPC LLM, so I can provide some insight on the LLM side.

You do 4 electives of your own choice, instead of 3 which would otherwise be Law and Business on the MSc on top of Business Law and Practice as a core module.

For the LLM, you do a PPRR (Professional Practice Research Paper) which ULaw gives 14 sort of 'dissertation titles' you can chose from. They range from business ones to employment law or personal injury etc. You can chose any one title and the title gives instructions on what you should cover, so there's quite a lot of direction - you're not left on your own interpretation on what the title means and what not.

You have 3000 words to write the paper and then an additional 500 words reflecting on how completing the research paper contributed to your learning and development.

They release the title in Feb/March time and you have until early July to submit, so you have a lot of time to do it whether you chose to do it before or after all your exams. I did mine after my exams, there was a week between after all my exams finished and the due date for PPRR.

I can't give much info on MSc, but I believe on our campus LPC groupchat people mentioned doing more personal research and there might be more than one essay you have to write??? I can't be completely certain but if you're ever unsure and want to change from LLM to MSc or vice versa, you can (within reasonable time limits, I changed mine during my first term of the LPC)! I originally chose Msc but I realised business isn't really something I enjoyed too much and I liked how there was more choice when it came to what titles I could chose for LLM.

Hope this helps!
    This is extremely informative - thank you for taking the time to write it!

Reactions: karinny

SouffléSouffléSoufflé

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Mar 17, 2020
    I've known this news for a while now, but I've now been given permission to share it.

Guys, I got the call.

I've been offered a Training Contract with TLT!

I remember turning up to my first AC wearing £5 ASDA pumps that I'd had to superglue the night before as I couldn't afford to buy a new pair of smart shoes. I genuinely thought it was never going to happen to me, but it did.

I've not been as active on here recently as I felt like I needed to take a break from the online world for my mental health, this in combination with starting a new non-legal job meant I've felt a bit out of touch with the community here but I just wanted to say how much this forum has helped me. All the advice, all the support, all the positivity that this community has given me the past few years has made such a difference.

I think it is important to say that I am not a legal or commercial awareness genius. I worked really hard, and got lucky.

If anyone needs advice there are much more qualified folk, but please feel free to drop me a message. So many people have helped me along the way and its so important to pay it forward! I can't wait to become more active in this community again.

To give you some perspective the past three or so years I must have sent about 100 applications. I sent my first vacation scheme application in 2018. I got two vacation schemes, and one TC offer. You just need one yes.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've known this news for a while now, but I've now been given permission to share it.

Guys, I got the call.

I've been offered a Training Contract with TLT!

I remember turning up to my first AC wearing £5 ASDA pumps that I'd had to superglue the night before as I couldn't afford to buy a new pair of smart shoes. I genuinely thought it was never going to happen to me, but it did.

I've not been as active on here recently as I felt like I needed to take a break from the online world for my mental health, this in combination with starting a new non-legal job meant I've felt a bit out of touch with the community here but I just wanted to say how much this forum has helped me. All the advice, all the support, all the positivity that this community has given me the past few years has made such a difference.

I think it is important to say that I am not a legal or commercial awareness genius. I worked really hard, and got lucky.

If anyone needs advice there are much more qualified folk, but please feel free to drop me a message. So many people have helped me along the way and its so important to pay it forward! I can't wait to become more active in this community again.

To give you some perspective the past three or so years I must have sent about 100 applications the past two years. I sent my first vacation scheme application in 2018. I got two vacation schemes, and one TC offer. You just need one yes.
    Amazing news - congratulations!!

These types of posts are a really nice reminder as why the forum is here!

Happy Season 10 GIF by The Voice

• 🤝
    Reactions: SouffléSouffléSoufflé

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I can relate to not knowing whether the career is for you - I did my LLB (civil law), then went straight into my LLM (UK) and came out of it feeling really overwhelmed. I had only just learned about TCs / vac schemes and I wasn't in a place to focus my attention on it yet - I also didn't know anybody in commercial law so the thought of people committing to a 4 year path seemed MAD to me. I started paralegalling about 2 weeks after my graduation and I have LOVED it, and honestly without it I don't know if I would have stayed in law because I just wouldn't have fully understood what it meant to work in law. If you can afford it I would say start the GDL (someone at my firm told me to get it out of the way while I still could before the SQE kicks off) - lots of firms will even considering refunding you for your GDL if you've completed it before you get a TC. I've only started TC apps this year, but have been feeling more confident than I think I would have if I had started doing so right away because I now know that no matter what, there are associates/partners who know I am competent to work at a firm - even if it takes me a little longer to get a TC!
    Entirely agree with this post as this is exactly how my journey has been so far too!

Reactions: TC fiend

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I'm so sorry that I'm just seeing this (haven't been feeling too well this week) but huge congratulations and thank you so much for the shoutout - it's made my day haha! ☺️ Fingers crossed the scheme helps you the same way it helped me!
    No worries at all, I hope you feel better! Thank you for your breakdown below further to @Lumree's post, the opportunities on the scheme sound amazing and I can't wait to get stuck in!

• Love
    Reactions: Dheepa

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    1. Does anyone know what you get from being a RARE candidate (and I don't mean being on their programmes, like discuss or articles)?

2. Does anyone know what the online form for a Sidley Austin vacation scheme application entails/includes?

Last edited:

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    Hi all,

Apologies to reach out on this forum but I am getting desperate.

I am researching the impact of pro bono work on lawyers for my master’s dissertation. I am hoping to conduct some interviews with lawyers to gain their perspective on the matter. I am hoping to conduct these interviews between 11-20th August. Within this time frame, I am extremely flexible. The contents of these interviews will of course be strictly confidential and anonymity can be granted to those who request it.

Does anyone here think they may be able to take part? Or even take part themselves? The only mandatory requirement of interviewees is that they must be, or must have previously been, a lawyer. Any level of lawyer seniority (from trainee to partner) is welcome. A consent form will be provided to those that wish to take part prior to the interview date.

An interview will only require between 30-60 minutes of time and will be conducted on Zoom/Skype. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

PM me if you can be so kind as to help out a student in need!! Thank you!

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    1. Does anyone know what you get from being a RARE candidate (and I don't mean being on their programmes, like discuss or articles)?
    Yeah, you get bespoke application packs on their partner firms with all the key things you should write about in your applications. You can get feedback on your applications and if you progress to interviews, their mock interviews are really helpful. You also get invited to RARE events hosted by their partner firms. Also, you get a lot of reminders about deadlines to keep you on track!

Last edited:
    Reactions: Dwight

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi all,

Apologies to reach out on this forum but I am getting desperate.

I am researching the impact of pro bono work on lawyers for my master’s dissertation. I am hoping to conduct some interviews with lawyers to gain their perspective on the matter. I am hoping to conduct these interviews between 11-20th August. Within this time frame, I am extremely flexible. The contents of these interviews will of course be strictly confidential and anonymity can be granted to those who request it.

Does anyone here think they may be able to take part? Or even take part themselves? The only mandatory requirement of interviewees is that they must be, or must have previously been, a lawyer. Any level of lawyer seniority (from trainee to partner) is welcome. A consent form will be provided to those that wish to take part prior to the interview date.

An interview will only require between 30-60 minutes of time and will be conducted on Zoom/Skype. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

PM me if you can be so kind as to help out a student in need!! Thank you!
    I might be able to help with this, but I'm not sure. Feel free to DM me, I'll explain my position and can see if it's helpful.

Glayson Tavares-Costa

M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 8, 2021
    Got a TC offer just an hour earlier- still buzzing! 😁😁 Can't wait to move to the City 🏙️.

This was my second cycle, and I got other VS's this year where I didn't convert. Keep going everyone, you will get there eventually. Congratulations to everyone else who also heard good news recently!
    Congrats!!! Well done :) Is your TC offer with Ashurst? I wondered as I am waiting to hear back re my direct TC app! I hope you get to celebrate properly this weekend!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.