Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
It seems that you have until 12:00 midnight to complete the interview. I would prepare as much as I can and complete it before this time.

Best of luck - relax and breathe, you are more capable than you are giving yourself credit for.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
It seems that you have until 12:00 midnight to complete the interview. I would prepare as much as I can and complete it before this time.

Best of luck - relax and breathe, you are more capable than you are giving yourself credit for.

That's really kind of you to say, thank you :) do you mean as in tonight i assume? :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Was really trying to refrain from asking and try to figure this out for myself, but I sent an email to Latham to clarify their deadline and whether we had Sunday to complete the VI or not and they said this:

'Thank you for your email. You have until midnight on Sunday 27 January to complete the video interview.'

But at 00:40am today I got an email saying this:

'Your last chance! Latham & Watkins’ interview deadline is on Sunday!

We wanted to let you know that this is your final opportunity to complete your Video Interview for Spring Vacation Scheme 2019.. The deadline for this interview is 27 January 2019 (GMT+00:00).'

I am honestly baffled - i was thinking this meant essentially 23:59pm on the 27th but the reminder email has really stumped me. I really could do with the extra day to prep but I might have to do it today. What do you guys think?

See, I still think you are right. It sounds like they're just reminding you that the deadline is midnight on Sunday, so you do have the extra day to prep. If it was today, surely they'd say the deadline is on Saturday?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    See, I still think you are right. It sounds like they're just reminding you that the deadline is midnight on Sunday, so you do have the extra day to prep. If it was today, surely they'd say the deadline is on Saturday?

This is exactly what I think too but why can firm's not just make it 100% clear and say 23:59pm? I would never usually assume a firm means the day before in these cases and when they had their deadline for the schemes themselves it was the end of the day on both dates they had specified.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    This is exactly what I think too but why can firm's not just make it 100% clear and say 23:59pm? I would never usually assume a firm means the day before in these cases and when they had their deadline for the schemes themselves it was the end of the day on both dates they had specified.

I agree, I can see why you're being careful - obviously, you want the extra day but you don't want to miss the deadline. Maybe, it's something worth pointing out to them after the process is over.

Personally, I'd go off the info they sent you when they replied to you (midnight on Sunday 27 January). If you do end up missing it, you should be able to explain the situation.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I agree, I can see why you're being careful - obviously, you want the extra day but you don't want to miss the deadline. Maybe, it's something worth pointing out to them after the process is over.

Personally, I'd go off the info they sent you when they replied to you (midnight on Sunday 27 January). If you do end up missing it, you should be able to explain the situation.

I agree and will say that I tried to gain clarification. I am really really nervous with VIs and like to take my time to make peace with it and ensure i feel as prepared as I can be because it makes me feel less panicked. I also cannot see the logic in setting what is essentially a Saturday deadline either if I am honest.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I agree and will say that I tried to gain clarification. I am really really nervous with VIs and like to take my time to make peace with it and ensure i feel as prepared as I can be because it makes me feel less panicked. I also cannot see the logic in setting what is essentially a Saturday deadline either if I am honest.

Makes sense. Good luck!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I know I probably look crazy and paranoid (taking one for the team here guys) but I emailed Launchpad's support service and they said this.

'Thank you for your message. I have looked into this for you and the deadline for your video assessment is at 23:59 on 27 January 2019 (GMT+00:00).'

I think that this, coupled with Latham's original message to me stipulating Sunday at midnight, is very conclusive that we have until tomorrow to do the test!

I asked them to clarify in terms of 23:59 and the date to make it absolutely concrete which seemed to have worked :)

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    For anyone waiting to hear back from K&E, I emailed them after not hearing back after completing the VI last week.

They said "we are in the process of reviewing all vacation scheme applications and video interviews and it may be that you don't hear from us for another week or so while we work through the whole volume."

Reactions: J Malone

sjs

Standard Member
    Dec 11, 2018
    Hey guys, to everyone who completed AND passed the HSF online assessment, is your online application status 'under review' (with an addendum stating 'we are reviewing your application')? I completed the HSF test 2 weeks + ago, but have not received my test results even after emailing them to ask! Wondering if 'under review' means they are reviewing my app now (implying I passed the test) or it simply means they have my application?

I received an email last Thursday saying I had passed the test and my application was under review. When I login it also says that my application is 'under review' - hope that helps!

aditik

Star Member
    Aug 1, 2018
    I received an email last Thursday saying I had passed the test and my application was under review. When I login it also says that my application is 'under review' - hope that helps!

Hey! Thank you so much, and good luck . I didn’t receive an email saying I passed but it says my app is under review??? Really not sure what to make of it, so I’ll let it be. I hope it will be good news for you!!

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Can somebody please explain the difference between competency and behavioural type questions?
    Competency: Why law? Why X firm? What do you think about X commercial issue? Basically testing your knowledge and competency of the legal profession and why you want to enter it.

Behavioural: How would you react in X situation? How can you draw on your experiences to help you with X? These will be more focused on you as an individual and what skills you have, as well as how you would act in certain circumstances.

Hope this helps!! :) This may not be 100% accurate but it is how I understand and differentiate between the two.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Can somebody please explain the difference between competency and behavioural type questions?

Hmm that's tricky but I would say behavioural are more testing your character perhaps? and I think competencies are looking for past experiences and demonstrations of particular skills. You can have the competencies a firm want like research skills and the ability to work well under pressure but you might not be a collaborative individual for example? Situational judgement tests can assess both your character and competencies. I would say those are the sorts of differences but that is quite hard to differentiate. if you look at the 175 interview practice questions available on the TCLA they have a section with character specific questions which might help with this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.