TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
I emailed FF yesterday regarding my app (I am waiting post WG which I’ve completed on 2nd August). They said they’re still in the process of reviewing all of our scores for the next stage. They said they would be in touch next week.
I haven't even received a WG invite! I'm assuming they rejected me but are waiting to send out rejection emails - bit of a bummer because I thought I'd at least get the WG invite lol

Reactions: ssolicitorz

jo123

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 29, 2019
    For those who are working full time, will you be applying for Vac Schemes or TCs?
    Firms recruit more from Vac Schemes but it may not be possible to take time off >.<. Thoughts?

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    For those who are working full time, will you be applying for Vac Schemes or TCs?
    Firms recruit more from Vac Schemes but it may not be possible to take time off >.<. Thoughts?
    I'll prioritize direct TC applications from firms which are known to give a good number of direct TCs every year, and only do vac scheme applications for firms I'm really interested in that either don't have a direct TC route or are just not known for taking people through that route. Re taking time off - I'll cross that bridge when I get there!

SD

Standard Member
    Aug 6, 2019
    I emailed FF yesterday regarding my app (I am waiting post WG which I’ve completed on 2nd August). They said they’re still in the process of reviewing all of our scores for the next stage. They said they would be in touch next week.
    That’s really helpful! Thank you very much for sharing! I asked them about my WG percentile results and a little anxious. Fingers crossed it works out

Iris best

Distinguished Member
    Oct 29, 2020
    Sorry they said they would be in touch this week or next week ? Someone said last week it would be this week, so now I’m confused !

D

Deleted member 2707

If an interview question was framed as a “what” or “how”, should I still use STAR?

For example if the question was “what was your greatest failure,” should I stick to the STAR structure? I tend to find it difficult to use STAR in these situations and was told to only use them for “Tell me a time when..” questions.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    If an interview question was framed as a “what” or “how”, should I still use STAR?

For example if the question was “what was your greatest failure,” should I stick to the STAR structure? I tend to find it difficult to use STAR in these situations and was told to only use them for “Tell me a time when..” questions.
    Personally, I find loosely following a CAR structure helps make sure I don’t ramble in these sorts of questions. For example, ‘Context’ would cover what and where your greatest failure was, then ‘Action’ would cover what you did to improve, and ‘Result’ could be what you achieved thanks to your ‘Action’.

I’d just follow that narrative in my head to feel comfortable I’d covered what I needed to.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

“What was your greatest failure” could easily be reworded into “Tell me a time you experienced your greatest failure” so it still applies.

D

Deleted member 2707

Personally, I find loosely following a CAR structure helps make sure I don’t ramble in these sorts of questions. For example, ‘Context’ would cover what and where your greatest failure was, then ‘Action’ would cover what you did to improve, and ‘Result’ could be what you achieved thanks to your ‘Action’.

I’d just follow that narrative in my head to feel comfortable I’d covered what I needed to.
    Thank you! I try to follow STAR but I often end up straying a little to the narrative- just confirming if that was alright for an interview or if I should stick strictly to the STAR :)

“What was your greatest failure” could easily be reworded into “Tell me a time you experienced your greatest failure” so it still applies.
    Thank you Jessica!

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    If anyone has any tips on how not to go nuts waiting for a response after an AC please let me know!! :eek:🤯
    Keep occupied! It's easy to say 'try not to think about it' but much harder to actually do - do whatever you normally do chill out and fill your schedule up with errands/activities etc. This was the only thing that worked for me when waiting

AW_08

Valued Member
    Dec 20, 2019
    So I heard from W&C and had a VI today, but the system crashed before the second question and when I changed browser, it went straight to question 3 and then submitted it all. I've emailed HR to ask if can re-do, but I am panicking and absolutely gutted. Has this happened to anyone else? And please please tell me that it worked out fine 🥺🥺

Reactions: Tushar
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.