TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibs97

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2020
q for people who are paralegals or have done some paralegalling in the past – if you have a VS with the firm is it generally ok to ask for time off to complete the scheme?

contemplating trying to find a paralegal position and differing my LLM (abroad) place for a year to try TC recruitment again but I'm not sure what would "look better" when I'm reapplying – if anyone has any thoughts/experience w this I'm keen to hear it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
q for people who are paralegals or have done some paralegalling in the past – if you have a VS with the firm is it generally ok to ask for time off to complete the scheme?

contemplating trying to find a paralegal position and differing my LLM (abroad) place for a year to try TC recruitment again but I'm not sure what would "look better" when I'm reapplying – if anyone has any thoughts/experience w this I'm keen to hear it!
Very much depends on variables here:

- some people find it easy to get time off, some don’t. However, most will have to declare that you will be employed elsewhere and this is where it can get tricky even if you are allowed the time off.

- depending on how close a competitor the two firms are, you may find both sides less willing for you to undertake the internship

- even if they are happy, some firms can’t be bothered with the conflicts checks then needed. That might not just be your employer, it might be the firm who you’d be interning with - the checks could take a while and could flag up you can’t work, or are limited to the departments you can work in. This complication means sometimes firms just won’t bother with the process.

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Dwight - thanks for your question!

You're correct regarding me garnering the TC via the direct-TC route; however, in my case, there is a bit of nuance to the journey.

I originally applied for A&O's summer vacation scheme and was subsequently offered an interview. However, prior to my interview, my personal circumstances changed, so I politely asked if they would consider changing my interview from a summer vacation scheme interview to a TC interview.

In my case, they were extraordinarily generous and interviewed me for a TC instead.

Consequently, I'm afraid I can't quite help you with your first question. Additionally, unfortunately, I can't advise on the second question - I don't have the figures. However, I would not worry too much about that. Focus on the route that is best for you.

Luckily, to help, I can describe some pros and cons of applying via each route (in abstraction):

Applying for a vacation scheme:
+ You get to experience the firm for yourself (work, people, culture, and so on). No amount of research online is a sufficient replacement. This will help you to determine whether the firm is the right fit for you (and you for the firm).
+ You get some excellent work experience.
- It is, naturally, a lengthier process when it comes to securing the TC.

Applying for a TC:
+ It is a faster process if you just have the "end goal" in mind (namely, the TC).
- You will not garner all the benefits as part of a vacation scheme.

However, some things to note. I had already had some work experience with A&O before applying to them. Hence, although, sadly, my circumstances did not allow me to go for the vacation scheme (which I would have really enjoyed in itself!), I was still comfortable and, naturally, elated, to interview for a TC directly.

And finally, yes, from my perspective it seems like the application process is similar (online application form, situational judgement test, and final assessment centre).
Thank you for your response, @Neville Birdi It explains a lot!

When does A&O typically hold ACs for their summer vacation scheme? Jan, Feb or March?

In addition, do you think it really matters if I apply to the A&O TC instead of the vacation scheme having no work experience with A&O. I do have prior experience in terms of schemes and legal work. Would really appreciate to hear your opinion too, @Jessica Booker.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your response, @Neville Birdi It explains a lot!

When does A&O typically hold ACs for their summer vacation scheme? Jan, Feb or March?

In addition, do you think it really matters if I apply to the A&O TC instead of the vacation scheme having no work experience with A&O. I do have prior experience in terms of schemes and legal work. Would really appreciate to hear your opinion too, @Jessica Booker.
A&O will recruit a fair number of people form direct TCs given their total TC numbers, so I don’t think this is an issue, especially if you are confident they are the right firm for you and you have legal work experience/other vacation schemes.

Reactions: Dwight

MJ90

Esteemed Member
  • Jan 9, 2020
    Hi guys, does anyone have any advice/are there any posts I might have missed, about the Freshfields Written Assessment for the TC route (I assume its the same one they use for vacs). Been given no guidance whatsoever!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi guys, does anyone have any advice/are there any posts I might have missed, about the Freshfields Written Assessment for the TC route (I assume its the same one they use for vacs). Been given no guidance whatsoever!
    Hey! I think you should check out the "Ask a Freshfields trainee " thread by Alice G. Not sure if that is the exact name but it is definitely the best compilation of all the things that might help you get the TC.

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
    I was curious about this too! @Alice G would you be able to provide some insight into what this entails? Freshfields have been mysteriously vague about it!

pbyrne

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 15, 2021
    I was starting to think I'd never be able to say this but - I've just been offered a training contract at one of my top choice firms!!

I'm still in a slight state of disbelief and shock as I was thinking about giving up after this cycle, and I just wanted to let people know who may be feeling disheartened after rejections and not know where they're going wrong - this was my fourth cycle. I have loads of paralegal and non-legal experience and despite a couple of final round interviews early on I didn't get beyond application form stage for ages, and could not figure out where I was going wrong.

To be honest I still don't know! Application forms that I thought were v strong got nowhere, and firms I thought I was perfect for because of my experience still rejected me. 10 mins after I got the call to offer me the TC I got rejected by another firm at application form stage! This process is really demoralising, but I'm proof that if you keep at it you'll eventually get there.

I am by no means an expert but here is what I've learned:

- application forms are a skill in themselves (which is something I didn't realise for a long time) - use resources on TCLA and youtube (I can recommend some videos I used) to break down what makes a good answer.
    - figure out your weaknesses and work on them. as a slightly older applicant (I did other things in my early-mid 20s) my commitment to law was questioned a lot. I now have three years of paralegal experience to back my interest in law despite my earlier career path, and that's been really helpful in interviews.
    - sometimes you can do everything right and it still won't work out: my second cycle I got through three intense interviews to the final round at one firm and (as I thought) nailed every assessment, but got told in my feedback that I "didn't seem committed enough to the firm". I still find that one baffling because it was genuinely my first choice at the time and if they really thought that why take me all the way through to the final interview?!
    - there is no magic formula to this, it's just a lot of hard work and (I think) a lot of luck.

I'm super happy to send people resources I found helpful/generally chat if you're struggling with the process.

Also - this is the first year I've used TCLA and I have found it all hugely helpful - but special thanks to @Jessica Booker, @Jacob Miller @Dheepa @Jaysen for answering my questions with so much patience as I'm sure they're ones they've been asked a million times before.

Last edited:

O

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 27, 2019
    I was starting to think I'd never be able to say this but - I've just been offered a training contract at one of my top choice firms!!

I'm still in a slight state of disbelief and shock as I was thinking about giving up after this cycle, and I just wanted to let people know who may be feeling disheartened after rejections and not know where they're going wrong - this was my fourth cycle. I have loads of paralegal and non-legal experience and despite a couple of final round interviews early on I didn't get beyond application form stage for ages, and could not figure out where I was going wrong.

To be honest I still don't know! Application forms that I thought were v strong got nowhere, and firms I thought I was perfect for because of my experience still rejected me. 10 mins after I got the call to offer me the TC I got rejected by another firm at application form stage! This process is really demoralising, but I'm proof that if you keep at it you'll eventually get there.

- application forms are a skill in themselves (which is something I didn't realise for a long time) - use resources on TCLA and youtube (I can recommend some videos I used) to break down what makes a good answer.
    - figure out your weaknesses and work on them. as a slightly older applicant (I did other things in my early-mid 20s) my commitment to law was questioned a lot. I now have three years of paralegal experience to back my interest in law despite my earlier career path, and that's been really helpful in interviews.
    - sometimes you can do everything right and it still won't work out: my second cycle I got through three intense interviews to the final round at one firm and (as I thought) nailed every assessment, but got told in my feedback that I "didn't seem committed enough to the firm". I still find that one baffling because it was genuinely my first choice at the time and if they really thought that why take me all the way through to the final interview?!
    - there is no magic formula to this, it's just a lot of hard work and (I think) a lot of luck.

I'm super happy to send people resources I found helpful/generally chat if you're struggling with the process.

Also - this is the first year I've used TCLA and I have found it all hugely helpful - but special thanks to @Jessica Booker, @Jacob Miller @Dheepa @Jaysen for answering my questions with so much patience as I'm sure they're ones they've been asked a million times before.
    Amazing news, congrats!!!!

Reactions: PK and pbyrne

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Brilliant news - many, many congratulations!!!

Reactions: pbyrne

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This is amazing news - I had a feeling it was only a matter of time. Congratulations and well done!

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

• Love
    Reactions: pbyrne
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.