TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No, I didn't hear back yet
Ok - from what you had posted earlier it sounded like you were suggesting the firm had confirmed to you that it was. No worries on the confusion though - we’ve had multiple posters confirm it isn’t needed now.

11_v_2887

Standard Member
Aug 12, 2021
Hello! I am planning to apply for my first vac schemes for Winter / Spring / Summer 2021/2022 (applied to one direct TC and was rejected pre-VI). I was wondering if anyone has advice for how to gain more commercial law experience to boost my vac scheme applications?

My background: I just graduated from a non-law degree with very good results from a very good uni, and I am working in pre-IPO due diligence for the NY stock exchange. I have previous experience in political risk and NGO work, as well as numerous academic research positions and experiences. Sadly not much experience in commercial law. I am a native speaker of Russian, so I am particularly keen on firms that work heavily on cases relating to former Soviet region.

Any advice on how to get more commercial legal experience would be very welcome!

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello! I am planning to apply for my first vac schemes for Winter / Spring / Summer 2021/2022 (applied to one direct TC and was rejected pre-VI). I was wondering if anyone has advice for how to gain more commercial law experience to boost my vac scheme applications?

My background: I just graduated from a non-law degree with very good results from a very good uni, and I am working in pre-IPO due diligence for the NY stock exchange. I have previous experience in political risk and NGO work, as well as numerous academic research positions and experiences. Sadly not much experience in commercial law. I am a native speaker of Russian, so I am particularly keen on firms that work heavily on cases relating to former Soviet region.

Any advice on how to get more commercial legal experience would be very welcome!

Thank you in advance!
Open days and attending career events would be a good start.

You may also want to do one or two of the virtual work experience programmes on platforms with Forage to ensure you can show proactiveness in pursuing commercial law.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Open days and attending career events would be a good start.

You may also want to do one or two of the virtual work experience programmes on platforms with Forage to ensure you can show proactiveness in pursuing commercial law.
Is there a website that consolidates all the dates of events like Open days and other events? I did read about such a website on this forum but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a website that consolidates all the dates of events like Open days and other events? I did read about such a website on this forum but I can't find it anymore.

Thanks.
I don’t think so unfortunately. As firms pay for advertising with different suppliers, you won’t find a comprehensive list on even the large legal websites like Legal Cheek or Lawcareers.net.

I know we try to consolidate a lot of this information as best as we can, but it’s a bit too early for us to do this for the upcoming cycle. Most firms won’t confirm their events and open days for another month or so.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

ALM_3

Aug 20, 2021
Definitely not too late - I don’t think any firm has closed application for winter schemes yet and many haven’t even opened applications for winter schemes yet.

As mentioned below, if you secure a VS there is typically a conversion assessment process off the back of it, which means it doesn’t matter if the scheme itself starts after TC deadlines. As you’ll probably only be able to complete one winter scheme though, you may want to make a mixture of direct TC and some VS apps.
Great, I understand now. Thank you!

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
So I am filling out a vacation scheme application but the wording of their questions is a bit funny. If they ask what interests me in working in this role/team, am I right to assume that they are asking what interests me in the role of a trainee? The second question is what excites you about the opportunity of an apprenticeship (I double checked this was the vacation scheme application), so I thought this question was trying to get me to talk about the vacation scheme in particular but I am unsure.

Reactions: yll

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
So I am filling out a vacation scheme application but the wording of their questions is a bit funny. If they ask what interests me in working in this role/team, am I right to assume that they are asking what interests me in the role of a trainee? The second question is what excites you about the opportunity of an apprenticeship (I double checked this was the vacation scheme application), so I thought this question was trying to get me to talk about the vacation scheme in particular but I am unsure.
For the first one, I think you want to focus on what it is they do at that firm in particular that interests you. Talk about their practice areas, what you're keen on, why you're keen on it, evidencing interest based on previous experiences where possible.

• 🏆
Reactions: tt_xo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Might want to contact the firm in question. It sounds like an error in the application, but it may mean you are completing an apprenticeship application (due to the firm’s error) rather than a vac scheme one.

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
Mishcons question is what interests you about working in this role/team

1. are they asking why I want to work in a specific team/ practice area at Mishcon?
2. is the question basically asking why I want to be a commercial lawyer?

Reactions: O

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For the extra curriculum and position of responsibility, questions is it better to talk about them briefly like a few lines or does using STAR or CAR make your application stronger what are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the extra curriculum and position of responsibility, questions is it better to talk about them briefly like a few lines or does using STAR or CAR make your application stronger what are your thoughts on this @Jessica Booker
    STAR/CAR only works for competency questions, where you are trying to identify a specific example that demonstrates a particular skill within an experience.

Your answers will becoming far too lengthy if you try to use STAR/CAR to describe a whole extra curricular.

My advice is to focus on your impact in the role. What did you achieve in the role/position.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    STAR/CAR only works for competency questions, where you are trying to identify a specific example that demonstrates a particular skill within an experience.also is bullet point good to use in these types of questions or sentences.

Your answers will becoming far too lengthy if you try to use STAR/CAR to describe a whole extra curricular.

My advice is to focus on your impact in the role. What did you achieve in the role/position.
    Thank you very much for this and is bullet points good to use in these types of questions or is sentences like in paragraphs better.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you very much for this and is bullet points good to use in these types of questions or is sentences like in paragraphs better.
    I’d go with prose unless you can format the answer with bullet points (eg you can format the text as you write it in the application)

Like you can format this text in the our forums.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.