TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
I have the same issue does this mean we can't apply for them again this year if we applied for them last year.
I am unsure as it doesn't state people cannot reapply anywhere and I am pretty sure from their policy last year they didn't mind applications from candidates who were previously rejected by them, perhaps I will reach out to grad rec.

Reactions: OB and Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, on the A&O vac scheme application there is no word limit in the work experience word limit. What would recommend as the words to use? @Jessica Booker
It depends on the work experience. I’d expect a longer entry for something that has been complex, varied and for a long period of time (say up to 350-400 words), but that work experience that is fairly straight forward, for a short period of time, or was a very defined role with limited responsibilities may only need 100-150 words (if that).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi. I've just submitted my application to A&O for the Winter Vacation Scheme, but they have since sent me two different emails with two separate and very different tests. One is the SJT that is mentioned on the website and the other is a 'Blended Assessment 2021'. I have never heard of this blended assessment test and it seems to have 3 parts (verbal reasoning, numerical reasoning, and SJT). Given I have 48 hours to submit my response (for one of them at least), does anyone have any ideas on which one to do/or whether I should just ignore this brand new 'blended' test? Perhaps, @Jessica Booker you might have an idea of how to go about this situation?
I’d personally do both and not ignore either of them.

Reactions: OB

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
It depends on the work experience. I’d expect a longer entry for something that has been complex, varied and for a long period of time (say up to 350-400 words), but that work experience that is fairly straight forward, for a short period of time, or was a very defined role with limited responsibilities may only need 100-150 words (if that).
Thank you!

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2021
Hi, does anyone know if A&O uses the same questions for winter and summer VS? I have written my answers for the Winter VS but am wondering if I should wait for the Summer portal to open in a few days since they review apps on a rolling basis. I waited to submit my application because I was doing a particularly interesting extracurricular activity that I wanted to include in my answers (it ended two days ago).

Alternatively, if I submit my winter application now, do you think my chances have significantly reduced since it's been over 2 weeks since the portal opened? (I'm also assuming that registering an account but failing to submit an application does not have automatically make me 'blacklisted')

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi, does anyone know if A&O uses the same questions for winter and summer VS? I have written my answers for the Winter VS but am wondering if I should wait for the Summer portal to open in a few days since they review apps on a rolling basis. I waited to submit my application because I was doing a particularly interesting extracurricular activity that I wanted to include in my answers (it ended two days ago).

Alternatively, if I submit my winter application now, do you think my chances have significantly reduced since it's been over 2 weeks since the portal opened? (I'm also assuming that registering an account but failing to submit an application does not have automatically make me 'blacklisted')
Is there a section to mention extra curricular’s on the app, I can’t find it

WillF

Star Member
Jul 31, 2021
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should include mitigating circumstance information for my A-Level results when applying to Slaughter and May summer VS, as they of course have no minimum requirement but look for 'good A-Levels'? My predicted grades and coursework were above the grades given (my exams were cancelled last year).

@Jessica Booker any help would be amazing - thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

It’s still early for the winter scheme. I doubt they have even got 20% of their apps yet.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I should include mitigating circumstance information for my A-Level results when applying to Slaughter and May summer VS, as they of course have no minimum requirement but look for 'good A-Levels'? My predicted grades and coursework were above the grades given (my exams were cancelled last year).

@Jessica Booker any help would be amazing - thanks!
It will be obvious you took your A-levels during Covid - so it doesn’t need fully explaining. I’d probably just put in your CV your expected grades and that your exams were cancelled, alongside your actual grades.

Reactions: WillF

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021

The graduate recruitment and various A&O BAs have mentioned that they recommend you sending off your applications to the firm within the first 6 weeks of the portal opening. So please do not worry if you’re thinking your chances have reduced bc two weeks have passed by. It’s better that you’re spending more time reviewing your application and sending in a more precise and solid application instead of rushing it with the assumption that there’s a time limit to being successful and receiving an AC.

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
Please keep us updated if you do, I'm having the same issue!
I have sent grad rec a message and they did not respond to me but now I have the option to make a new application on the portal! Also tagging @Asil Ahmad @Lumree and @OB for your info.

I also checked their Instagram FAQ (as the one on their website doesn't mention it) but they welcome applications from previously unsuccessful applicants.

• Love
Reactions: Lumree and OB

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I have sent grad rec a message and they did not respond to me but now I have the option to make a new application on the portal! Also tagging @Asil Ahmad @Lumree and @OB for your info.

I also checked their Instagram FAQ (as the one on their website doesn't mention it) but they welcome applications from previously unsuccessful applicants.
    Thanks for the update! :)

Reactions: ZaraB

lawstudent12345

Distinguished Member
    Feb 16, 2021
    The graduate recruitment and various A&O BAs have mentioned that they recommend you sending off your applications to the firm within the first 6 weeks of the portal opening. So please do not worry if you’re thinking your chances have reduced bc two weeks have passed by. It’s better that you’re spending more time reviewing your application and sending in a more precise and solid application instead of rushing it with the assumption that there’s a time limit to being successful and receiving an AC.
    Thank you, that's really good to hear :)

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

I was just about to post this I can start a new application now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.