Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am pleased to finally announce that I have just accepted a training contract offer at a a magic circle firm after 2 years of applying and facing so many rejections. A massive thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences and tips on the forum. I do not think it would have been possible without you all, so, thank you. Lastly, best of luck with your remaining applications, interviews and AC prep, I know many of you will succeed and also obtain training contract offers very very soon so keep persevering, it only takes ONE yes!!!

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am pleased to finally announce that I have just accepted a training contract offer at a a magic circle firm after 2 years of applying and facing so many rejections. A massive thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences and tips on the forum. I do not think it would have been possible without you all, so, thank you. Lastly, best of luck with your remaining applications, interviews and AC prep, I know many of you will succeed and also obtain training contract offers very very soon so keep persevering, it only takes ONE yes!!!

Well done!!! You deserve it!!!

Reactions: S30 and Salma

_Will_

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Hi Guys,

Huge congratulations Salma! May I ask which firm you got the offer from?

Reactions: Salma

PMF_II

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Hi Guys,

Congratulations, Salma! So glad to see that your hardwork and perseverance paid off. All the best with your TC.

Reactions: AJ, Salma and S30

CF

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

Congratulations Salma! All the best for the future :)

Reactions: AJ and Salma

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
Hi Guys,

I smiled so big at my phone when I saw this. Congratulations! Absolutely deserving of it :)

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi Guys,

This is amazing Salma!!! Congratulations, you fully deserve it. Thank you for your constant encouragement and brilliant advice on the forum. All the best with your training contract.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hi Guys,

So pleased for you Salma x

Selina

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi Guys,

Amazing, Salma - many congratulations! Thank you for your consistent advice and words of wisdom here, I know they've really helped me personally. Best of luck with everything in the future. :):)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Guys,

Huge congrats Salma! Absolutely thrilled for you - there are few people more deserving :) Although I hope this doesn't mean we won't continue to hear your contributions which are always so helpful haha

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Macfarlanes PFO :( Starting to feel super discouraged with applications and now with university too! Don't have much hope for the remaining firms I'm waiting on but I've been looking at just becoming an au pair for a year or something, honestly not sure if there's even any point attempting to apply next cycle. I know that it's all about handle rejection and persevere but I'm not known for being good at dealing with rejection ah:oops:

Sorry for the depressing post, just feeling super down about it all!!

Take these rejections as positives. I think what a lot of students at uni don't realise is that once you are in work, you are in work. Just a lil fact to throw in there, the average age for entry onto the roll for solicitors for males was 30.0 and the average age for females was 29 in 2016-17 (https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/entry-trends/). So even if you miss the next 3 cycles (I imagine you are 19/20 if you are still at uni and applying for stuff) you still have almost 3x the time of being at uni before you buck the trend. That is so damn long.

I failed two cycles of applications (2nd and last year of uni) so I decided to put it all on pause and just take some time to reflect. Since then I've worked a full time non-law job for a whole year, worked at a top-tier (magic circle equivalent) law firm in a foreign country for a year whilst gaining my LLM from a top 10 global university, travelled said foreign country, completely changed the area of law that I thought I was interested in, joined a governance team in a global blockchain not-for-profit, helping set up one of the worlds first AI security token hedge funds, and I'm co-running a two man start-up commercial law firm in a foreign country. I finished uni in 2016 and I'm still not worried about not securing a training contract yet it is still something I aspire to do at some point.

What I'm trying to say is that even though rejections might mean you might have to wait another year, use that year to find out what you REALLY want to do and what really interests in you (whether that be law-related or not). Not having a TC this year, or even the next, is not the end of the world. I know this might be something that your parents would say to you to make you feel better about rejections but I genuinely mean it as someone who has been rejected and STILL hasn't got a TC. If I look back at 2016 and where I am at now I take all those rejections as a blessing because as the cheesy saying goes 'as one door closes, two (or ten) more open up' and I would not be doing all these things that I genuinely enjoy that are still very law related.

Ps. I am in no way saying that you shouldn't be ambitious and go for those training contracts whilst you are still in university. I encourage you to keep on applying and I have all toes and fingers crossed for you. And I am not saying that those who didn't take time out to do whatever they wanted are in no way lesser people in any respect and I am not trying to deter anyone from applying. This is just to provide some positive testimony from experience of having not secured a TC yet I am still loving life.

Good luck @MadisonK and hit me up if you want to chat about anything

• 🏆
    • 🤝
    Reactions: SG, Selina, STWO and 10 others

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hi Guys,

That's great! Congratulations. Always good to see a success story in all the craziness. Please don't leave the forum though your insights are always so useful!

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Take these rejections as positives. I think what a lot of students at uni don't realise is that once you are in work, you are in work. Just a lil fact to throw in there, the average age for entry onto the roll for solicitors for males was 30.0 and the average age for females was 29 in 2016-17 (https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/law-careers/becoming-a-solicitor/entry-trends/). So even if you miss the next 3 cycles (I imagine you are 19/20 if you are still at uni and applying for stuff) you still have almost 3x the time of being at uni before you buck the trend. That is so damn long.

I failed two cycles of applications (2nd and last year of uni) so I decided to put it all on pause and just take some time to reflect. Since then I've worked a full time non-law job for a whole year, worked at a top-tier (magic circle equivalent) law firm in a foreign country for a year whilst gaining my LLM from a top 10 global university, travelled said foreign country, completely changed the area of law that I thought I was interested in, joined a governance team in a global blockchain not-for-profit, helping set up one of the worlds first AI security token hedge funds, and I'm co-running a two man start-up commercial law firm in a foreign country. I finished uni in 2016 and I'm still not worried about not securing a training contract yet it is still something I aspire to do at some point.

What I'm trying to say is that even though rejections might mean you might have to wait another year, use that year to find out what you REALLY want to do and what really interests in you (whether that be law-related or not). Not having a TC this year, or even the next, is not the end of the world. I know this might be something that your parents would say to you to make you feel better about rejections but I genuinely mean it as someone who has been rejected and STILL hasn't got a TC. If I look back at 2016 and where I am at now I take all those rejections as a blessing because as the cheesy saying goes 'as one door closes, two (or ten) more open up' and I would not be doing all these things that I genuinely enjoy that are still very law related.

Ps. I am in no way saying that you shouldn't be ambitious and go for those training contracts whilst you are still in university. I encourage you to keep on applying and I have all toes and fingers crossed for you. And I am not saying that those who didn't take time out to do whatever they wanted are in no way lesser people in any respect and I am not trying to deter anyone from applying. This is just to provide some positive testimony from experience of having not secured a TC yet I am still loving life.

Good luck @MadisonK and hit me up if you want to chat about anything

Thank you so much, you are honestly an incredible human being. I really appreciate the support and I am positive you will go and do even more amazing things! It really helps to have this forum around.

• 🏆
    Reactions: bronson

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
    Jan 10, 2019
    Hi Guys,

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is absolutely incredible, we can't wait to hear all about you flourishing on that TC :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.