TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellwilsen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2020
When LinkedIn tells you 3 lawyers from the firm that rejected you after the final TC application last cycle viewed your profile this week 🥲

trying very hard dan levy GIF by CBC

elizabethjo123

Star Member
Jan 7, 2021
Does anyone know if Slaughter & May will be reopening direct training contract applications in January/ at any point next year? The current deadline is October. I don't think I have enough experience to apply yet, so was planning on applying for the Winter Workshop, and as I can only make one application at a time it means I can't apply for a training contract as well. I'm really keen on the firm so I want to know if I should just go for it and apply for a training contract now, or wait and do the workshop and then apply for a TC when they reopen direct applications?

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
Feb 25, 2021
Can anyone give me some insight on whether I am best placed to apply for Slaughter and May's 'Winter Workshop' or just a direct TC? The winter workshop seems to indicate you have the opportunity to apply for a TC at the end, is this in the form of a TC interview or you have to complete the normal application process again?

For context, I am a first-class history graduate from Bristol who has just completed the GDL.

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
Can anyone give me some insight on whether I am best placed to apply for Slaughter and May's 'Winter Workshop' or just a direct TC? The winter workshop seems to indicate you have the opportunity to apply for a TC at the end, is this in the form of a TC interview or you have to complete the normal application process again?

For context, I am a first-class history graduate from Bristol who has just completed the GDL.
If I remember correctly from last year, winter workshop candidates were automatically considered for the TC. I think that means you didn't have to complete the TC application process again

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Struggling to find space on my Slaughter and May cover letter, is the address essential? Will it look less professional if I do not include it?
Take what I say with a grain of salt as I know no more than you do, but I wouldn't get rid of the address. I'd suggest to you that if you're struggling for space then you're writing too much for a cover letter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Struggling to find space on my Slaughter and May cover letter, is the address essential? Will it look less professional if I do not include it?
Their address I would, your address I have seen people not include and still be successful.

It is a cover letter and really should have the formalities of one.

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Their address I would, your address I have seen people not include and still be successful.

It is a cover letter and really should have the formalities of one.
Hi @Jessica Booker

The TCLA premium application guide for Slaughter and May said that the address was not a necessary formality. Would you say that I should try and shorten my cover letter to get the address in or should it be something I add in if I have space? Also do you think it would be alright to make it 11 instead of 12 font to perhaps fit the address in? Thanks.

SamTam99

Legendary Member
Jan 5, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker

The TCLA premium application guide for Slaughter and May said that the address was not a necessary formality. Would you say that I should try and shorten my cover letter to get the address in or should it be something I add in if I have space? Also do you think it would be alright to make it 11 instead of 12 font to perhaps fit the address in? Thanks.
I read a successful applicants cover letter a few days ago and they didn’t have any addresses on there. Considering they were offered a direct TC, I would agree that it’s not a necessary formality.

Reactions: tt_xo

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Hiya - did they respond to you by any chance? Was invited to the WG to be completed by the 6th of Sep - so clearly the recruitment process is still going.
Hi, have you heard anything further from Orrick post WG? I haven't heard anything since completion or from my email but I don't want to harass them and send a follow up as I know its a busy time for GR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.