TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer

Esteemed Member
Oct 4, 2020
Hiya I did Hogan AC on Tuesday and was offered the winter VS the next day!

On a side note - just want to say thanks to everyone on here and all the valuable content. This is my first ever cycle and I had no idea what a vac scheme was or how to approach any of this stuff even 3 months ago. I've literally looked at every single thread over the past 3 months and every resource on here and been to every virtual event I can and been meticulous with my approach (i've had a diary with what I'm doing each day dependent on deadlines etc. from August 25th that continues through to December).

If anyone has any questions defo message me as I'm keen to give back. I know how alien the process looks, particularly if you're a non-law student (or non-law grad like me!). However, it makes a lot more sense once you drill down to what law firms are actually looking for and what exactly you are looking for.
when did you do your WG?

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2019
Hi guys just trying to apply to A&O - not sure if this has already been asked, but theres only the option to put down marks for 20 modules for undergrad whereas I took 22 but there doesn't seem to be anywhere where I can upload a transcript or note the extra modules - has anyone worked out how to get around this?
I've emailed grad rec but I assume they're busy with winter vac scheme stuff so are taking a while to reply

Thanks for your help!

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
Does anyone have any tips for the Simmons app? I'm finding it hard to make my app interesting when it's so open ended in the 250 word Q. Also, for the work experience section, should I be writing about what I learnt (e.g., saying I improved my communication skills from a customer facing role) from different jobs or simply just writing my duties (e.g., served food etc)?

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Anyone know which firms have relatively 'generic/easy' applications? I am currently working full time and unfortunately barely have any time to write applications, let alone do research into v niche questions on some apps.
I also work full-time, and have a second part-time job and study the LPC part-time - even the easy apps need some level of research, and definitely if you get past the initial app stage. Instead of focusing on easy applications I focus my applications, doing fewer apps, focusing on quality over quantity. Your application is bound to be better if it's a firm you really want as opposed to you feeling it takes less effort to apply so applying for that reason.

Reactions: gg332dd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.