TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
NRF WVS Offer!!! 🥳
@George.E., from a fellow George, congratulations!

This is really great news. NRF are a fantastic firm.

I'm sure you will smash the scheme 🚀

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

AW_08

Valued Member
Dec 20, 2019
Hi @AW_08,

I am really sorry to hear this. If it helps, I never applied to a WVS (only Spring and Summer!). You really do have plenty of time left this cycle. You are arguably in an even better position than I was too because you have applications written which you can iterate and improve upon.

Do you know the firms that you are going to apply to for Spring and Summer schemes?

Always here if you need any further help or guidance!
Thank you so much for your kind words and offer of help!

I've got a spreadsheet of firms that I've still got left, so hoping they'll be better. Just not too sure where I'm going wrong - really wish they offered some form of feedback!

Reactions: Rob93 and George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you so much for your kind words and offer of help!

I've got a spreadsheet of firms that I've still got left, so hoping they'll be better. Just not too sure where I'm going wrong - really wish they offered some form of feedback!
@AW_08,

I am really pleased to hear that you have a spreadsheet. Being organised ahead of time is invaluable.

I also completely empathise with you.

I think the most helpful (general) tips that I have are:

1. Make sure that you are signposting and using a clear structure.
2. Reach out to trainees/associates at the firms that you are hoping to apply to and ask about their experiences. Try then to integrate this into your applications.
3. Do not be afraid to re-write old applications. It seems like hard work, but do not keep a structure just because you did it before. Improve on it if, after being honest with yourself, you think it needs it.
3. Keep grinding. This process can seem unfair and random at times. I found that my successes came in fits and bursts. It will come right, just keep your nose to the grindstone.

We are rooting for you!

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2019
L&W PFO just came in! That was the last of my WVS apps - hoping that Spring/Summer will be more successful!!
Same! I honestly don’t know how to make my application better. Can’t figure out what the firm is looking for.

on a separate note does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from A&O after a direct TC app?

Sending everyone love! Push on till Christmas. Have faith in you all! ❤️

• 🤝
Reactions: S30, bibss and OB

AAA_a

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 14, 2019
Same! I honestly don’t know how to make my application better. Can’t figure out what the firm is looking for.

on a separate note does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from A&O after a direct TC app?

Sending everyone love! Push on till Christmas. Have faith in you all! ❤️
Yeah I was confused with A&O as well. Applied in late Sep for March 2024 TC, I've seen both PFO and AC being sent out but still silence for me.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hi George.

I got an offer from White & Case to participate in their WVS and I was wondering how was your experience with them and if you have any tips/advice, especially regarding the presentation for the training contract interview, the interview and how to secure the TC? Many thanks.
Hi @jamesfp,

First of all, huge congratulations for getting on the scheme. I am sure you know, but W&C get a scary number of applicants for each place they have on their vacation schemes, so it really is a massive achievement to have got this far.

Second, I really loved the firm. As a result my training contract decision was very difficult.

It is a tough vacation scheme and they are looking to test you. Out of the three I did, it was one of the most strenuous. Having said that, I felt very supported throughout (the GR team are really lovely) and am still in touch with a number of the others who completed the scheme with me.

My general tips would be:

1. Make the most of the opportunity. The tasks that you are given are difficult and they are designed to be testing. Some are also harder than others, so be aware of that and make sure you are putting aside enough time for each during the scheme. Be strict with yourself on this too. Do not leave it all to the last minute.

However, remember that everyone will be finding them tough. Just because people are not necessarily admitting to it, does not mean that they are finding everything easy(!).

2. Be proactive. W&C are a firm which admires and likes proactivity. Take a look at their practice areas in London and think which you are interested in. Ask your buddy/supervisor when you arrive whether they know of anyone in X, Y, Z practice areas and whether it would be possible to speak with them.

Be proactive (and ambitious) too in terms of your work. Go the extra mile and ask if there is anything more that you can do to be helpful.

3. Actively seek feedback. This is something that I found really useful in terms of my professional development and is, I think, an attribute that my supervisor and buddy liked. Ultimately the VS is an opportunity for you to trial being a trainee, so act like you would if you were one.

Personally, I wanted (and want) to improve from as early in my career as possible. Getting an insight into my strengths and weaknesses at this stage (i.e., on a VS) was (and is) invaluable. I would highly advise you to seek feedback too.

4. Make sure you read instructions. I have heard that in previous years some people failed to read the task instructions carefully enough. This resulted in missing off a key document, meaning that they did not get the TC(!).

5. With regards to the TC interview: practice. In fact, practice as many times as you can and time yourself. Explain why you chose your topic (this will make sense when you get on the scheme) and go above and beyond with your research. This will show an active interest. The presentation is short, however, so do not try to fit too much in.

6. Really think about whether this is a firm where you want to work. Ask questions (but don't just for the sake of it as it makes zero difference) during presentations. Be your authentic self and question whether or not you 'fit' at the firm. If you think you do, and you do the above, I am sure that you will do very well.

7. This is more of an over-arching point, but it really is invaluable: check your work. Spelling mistakes in emails are easy to make and when made, they make a big difference. So before you send an email, read it back-to-front, re-read it and then send it (this thread might be helpful). Taking 30 seconds before sending an email is a very good way to avoid silly errors and will save you a lot of stress in the end.

Incidentally, is your VS in person?

I really do wish you the very best of luck.

Please do reach out if you would like any more advice 🏎️

AspiringSol

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 6
Nov 9, 2020
hey does anyone know what word count we should aim for in the MoFo application? there’s no actual word count provided… I was thinking 300 words? Or is that too little?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    On my Clifford Chance portal it says updated today and I submitted over a week ago. Is this a good sign or not? I’m worried I’ve been rejected already
    Hey! I am not sure about this but this is what I guess (I think updated is when you accessed you app again and therefore it is updated) like you updated it it yourself because it shows the same for me.

Koinuuu

Oct 18, 2021
    hey does anyone know what word count we should aim for in the MoFo application? there’s no actual word count provided… I was thinking 300 words? Or is that too little?
    I'm not sure how correct I am, but the lack of word count will be intentional and that made me think it was part of the test. I think as long as you're saying what you need to say without being verbose and overdoing it, you should be fine! Not sure if that makes sense, but I thought it might be helpful.

Reactions: AspiringSol

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    Hey! I am not sure about this but this is what I guess (I think updated is when you accessed you app again and therefore it is updated) like you updated it it yourself because it shows the same for me.
    I think it displays when they viewed your application but you may be right.

Ugh I noticed that for my response for one of my questions I wrote "I have" twice.... so the statement reads this: "As a student academic mentor of five first year law students since September 2020, I have I have helped my mentees adjust to university..."

is this an automatic PFO? I think my grammar and spelling otherwise is consistent and correct- this seems to be the only mistake.

Reactions: GXA123

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I think it displays when they viewed your application but you may be right.

Ugh I noticed that for my response for one of my questions I wrote "I have" twice.... so the statement reads this: "As a student academic mentor of five first year law students since September 2020, I have I have helped my mentees adjust to university..."

is this an automatic PFO? I think my grammar and spelling otherwise is consistent and correct- this seems to be the only mistake.
    Dw as much about it Jessica mentioned many people that this never affected them as long as your app quality is high. Goodluck <3

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Is it normal to still be able to update and edit your app for CC? I recently submitted my app but second guessed if it really went through because im still able to edit it ?!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.