TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you George for this answer!

I'm also fortunate enough to be attending, (in person as much as possible!) and I am wondering how long after the scheme TC offers are made?
@LongSufferingLawGrad this is fantastic news!

I did not realise you had been successful with your W&C application!!

So first, I need to post a celebratory gif:

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

Second, the WVS is likely to be different to the Spring scheme that I did. GR will tell you when you start (in my experience they told us the exact day!). Sorry that I cannot be more help than that.

After you finish and it does come to that day, my advice is really to try not to sit by your phone waiting. It was honestly awful and stressful. We can chat about that when the time comes 🚀

For now though, I really hope that you have/are celebrating.

Great news all round @jamesfp, @LongSufferingLawGrad and @mm26!

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Hi, I'm in the final year of my law degree and am slightly confused about if I am eligible to apply for the 2023 Clifford Chance training contract vacancy (deadline is tonight) or if it has to be the 2024 one?
If you graduate in the summer of 2022 with a qualifying law degree and are then able to immediately start your LPC and complete it by mid-2023 at the latest, then yes you can apply for CC's 2023 TC

Reactions: OB and Haris

rose0904

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 6, 2021
So I was looking at a firm's vac scheme application form and filling in details about my uni results so that I could get to the next page which has the actual questions on. I had put a year 1 module mark and pressed enter on my keyboard to get onto a new line to put another module mark, and it submitted the whole application! I'm not even sure how this has managed to happen because surely there must have been other compulsory questions on the pages ahead that I hadn't answered yet. It just took me to a page that said 'your form has been submitted successfully, a member of our team will be in touch shortly'. It's a local firm that I'm not even sure I was going to apply to but it's such a face palm moment. Shall I try and contract grad rec and explain? I hadn't even entered my work experience properly.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    So I was looking at a firm's vac scheme application form and filling in details about my uni results so that I could get to the next page which has the actual questions on. I had put a year 1 module mark and pressed enter on my keyboard to get onto a new line to put another module mark, and it submitted the whole application! I'm not even sure how this has managed to happen because surely there must have been other compulsory questions on the pages ahead that I hadn't answered yet. It just took me to a page that said 'your form has been submitted successfully, a member of our team will be in touch shortly'. It's a local firm that I'm not even sure I was going to apply to but it's such a face palm moment. Shall I try and contract grad rec and explain? I hadn't even entered my work experience properly.
    Are you able to withdraw your submission? some firms let you withdraw and submit again, but defo email GR, what was the firm?

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone! Does anyone have an tips for what HSF are looking for skills-wise in their test? I've done the practice test on the website a few times- when it comes to choosing the most effective and least effective option in the situation they give, I always manage to get one right and one wrong🤣. Do they prioritise any skills over others i.e. teamwork or communication? These tests always seem to stump me

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    @LongSufferingLawGrad this is fantastic news!

I did not realise you had been successful with your W&C application!!

So first, I need to post a celebratory gif:

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

Second, the WVS is likely to be different to the Spring scheme that I did. GR will tell you when you start (in my experience they told us the exact day!). Sorry that I cannot be more help than that.

After you finish and it does come to that day, my advice is really to try not to sit by your phone waiting. It was honestly awful and stressful. We can chat about that when the time comes 🚀

For now though, I really hope that you have/are celebrating.

Great news all round @jamesfp, @LongSufferingLawGrad and @mm26!
    Thank-you George - v. kind of you!

A glass of champagne was enjoyed and I am now looking forward to getting involved!

Your support is much appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - contact them to explain. Sometimes technical glitches happen, so I wouldn’t worry about it.

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    So I’ve done 8 applications so far and had 5 rejections. I feel a bit demoralised/dejected and lacking motivation. Does anyone have any good advice to get past these feelings and keep going? I want to take a small break but December is approaching and I want to get more apps in but don’t want to burn out 😢
    Hey Melissa,

I feel you! Just remember it only takes one firm to say yes and you will get there! Be reflective and try to offer a refreshing insight to who you are, your interest in law and why that particular firm, in all of your apps!

Be good to yourself and take some time off! Start again feeling rested and ready to commit again. It is very early in the recruitment period and you still have still time to send off apps for spring and summer opportunities!

hannaheshaw04

Jul 24, 2021
    Hi, I need to complete Clyde & Co's VI - it says to complete within 5 days from the receipt of the email, does that include the day it was sent or is it within the next 5 days as in the next day = day 1.
    Also any tips for the VI would be v helpful! Thanks

@Jessica Booker

Last edited:

Amanpreet Kaur

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Hi, I have submitted the Jones Day application form and realised I mixed up my two answers, for the achievements question and hobbies question. I have put my hobbies answer in the achievement section and vice versa. Do you think this will be a major set back/automatic rejection as it is pretty clear they are in a mixed up order? I have just looked over and am pretty stressed about it!

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

1. The Simmons & Simmons summer vac scheme application window runs from the 19th September to the 19th December. Do you feel that if I get my application in before the end of Monday, I've got a decent chance of having my application reviewed before all places get filled?
    2. The Jones Day application form asks candidates to lists occasions they've attended a "Jones Day event" - do you reckon this includes its live online Question Time Q&A session?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have submitted the Jones Day application form and realised I mixed up my two answers, for the achievements question and hobbies question. I have put my hobbies answer in the achievement section and vice versa. Do you think this will be a major set back/automatic rejection as it is pretty clear they are in a mixed up order? I have just looked over and am pretty stressed about it!
    I think this isn’t absolutely a killer but it really does depend on the strength on the rest of your application. Consider it as your first strike rather than a strike out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I need to complete Clyde & Co's VI - it says to complete within 5 days from the receipt of the email, does that include the day it was sent or is it within the next 5 days as in the next day = day 1.
    Also any tips for the VI would be v helpful! Thanks
    Unfortunately there will not be a standard on this. For some firms, it would include the day you got the email, for others it would mean the first day starts tomorrow like you have suggested. I would always go with the earlier date though unless you are given a specific date to complete it.

This thread is really useful for VI hints and tips:

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

1. The Simmons & Simmons summer vac scheme application window runs from the 19th September to the 19th December. Do you feel that if I get my application in before the end of Monday, I've got a decent chance of having my application reviewed before all places get filled?
    2. The Jones Day application form asks candidates to lists occasions they've attended a "Jones Day event" - do you reckon this includes its live online Question Time Q&A session?
    1) yes - they won’t have received the majority of their applications yet (unlikely to until at least a week before their deadline£

2) Yes - online events would be included in that category

Reactions: pfoapplicant

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    To those who have heard back positively from Reed Smith post SST, out of curiosity, how long did it take to hear back and what were your strengths? Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.