Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Without citing names, what does everyone feel about firms not giving feedback post AC?

I think it's quite a frustrating thing. I think I know which firm you're talking about, and I know someone who got rejected post-AC there and then ended up going into the firm's office and getting feedback in person because she was especially keen to get her feedback

aditik

Star Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hey guys! Does anyone here know what an 'update' on your application portal could mean? I just checked my Freshfields portal and saw that it said 'updated January 28th 2019', but previously it said '3rd January 2019'? I am probably being really hysterical hahah but I've seen a few on the forum have received WG test invites for the Freshfields TC app, did your portals update on the day you received the test?

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Is this the case? I thought the majority of firms now recruit from vac schemes

From my understanding, many UK firms take a lot of trainees from straight TC applications (e.g. CC, FBD, A&O, Linklaters, Slaughter and May, Travers Smith, Macfarlanes, NRF, Hogan Lovells, Ashurst), with a few exceptions (HSF, Clyde & Co, CMS), then many US firms take predominantly from vac schemes (e.g. Gibson Dunn, Kirkland, Davis Polk, Shearman, Cleary, Skadden) with a few exceptions (Latham, sort of White & Case) who take a few from straight TCs

It really varies from firm to firm though

• 🏆
Reactions: Selina, Jai C. and Daniel Boden

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hey guys! Does anyone here know what an 'update' on your application portal could mean? I just checked my Freshfields portal and saw that it said 'updated January 28th 2019', but previously it said '3rd January 2019'? I am probably being really hysterical hahah but I've seen a few on the forum have received WG test invites for the Freshfields TC app, did your portals update on the day you received the test?

I'm in the same boat as you, mine says updated January 28th too. Regarding your question, my friend, who got the WG-invite in the first wave, said her portal says updated on the day she got the invite

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
From my understanding, many UK firms take a lot of trainees from straight TC applications (e.g. CC, FBD, A&O, Linklaters, Slaughter and May, Travers Smith, Macfarlanes, NRF, Hogan Lovells, Ashurst), with a few exceptions (HSF, Clyde & Co, CMS), then many US firms take predominantly from vac schemes (e.g. Gibson Dunn, Kirkland, Davis Polk, Shearman, Cleary, Skadden) with a few exceptions (Latham, sort of White & Case) who take a few from straight TCs

It really varies from firm to firm though

I think A&O take a significant amount from vac schemes. All the trainees I met at my recent AC had done some sort of VS or A&O First program with the firm and the trainee I was buddied with for the office tour couldn't think of any trainees (that they knew) who hadn't done such schemes. Worth noting I think!

Reactions: Alice G and JL
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.