Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Wu

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 11, 2018
I think A&O take a significant amount from vac schemes. All the trainees I met at my recent AC had done some sort of VS or A&O First program with the firm and the trainee I was buddied with for the office tour couldn't think of any trainees (that they knew) who hadn't done such schemes. Worth noting I think!

Fair enough, I think A&O are similar to Freshfields in that they have 50 vac scheme places across winter and summer, but 80-90 tcs overall

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Without citing names, what does everyone feel about firms not giving feedback post AC?
    Obviously, it's time intensive and firms have plenty of interviewees, but applicants have also invested a lot of time applying, preparing and interviewing at the firm. I think it says a lot about the firm, especially because they're stepping away from a fairly standard practice.

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Obviously, it's time intensive and firms have plenty of interviewees, but applicants have also invested a lot of time applying, preparing and interviewing at the firm. I think it says a lot about the firm, especially because they're stepping away from a fairly standard practice.
    This is my point entirely. Preparing for an AC is no mean feat for a candidate and it should be a two-way system. It is deeply disappointing and as you say reflects on the firm IMO.

aditik

Star Member
    Aug 1, 2018
    I'm in the same boat as you, mine says updated January 28th too. Regarding your question, my friend, who got the WG-invite in the first wave, said her portal says updated on the day she got the invite

Ah right, thanks for the info :) Yeah really not sure what the update might mean, there was quite a debacle over this issue with respect to CC earlier last month, I am just going to let it be and wait for a reply ahah. Good luck to you with Freshfields and all your other applications :)

STWO

Distinguished Member
    Jan 5, 2019
    @AJALLTHEWAY @Felicia good luck for the VI guys :)
    How are you planning to prepare for it?
    I don't know if you've seen this before, but I found this which I thought might be useful: https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sec...-top-video-interview-tips-from-law-recruiters

I'm trying to gather as much information about the layout of the VI at the moment so thank you for that article! Prepping my why law, why Bristows answers as well as any competency questions that might pop up.

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Has anyone done the strengths test from Reed Smith and what was your experience? Was it like a SST/SJT?
    Hey, it's not situational judgement but resembles it because it asks how you would act in a situation. I think it's designed to not have a right or wrong answer, just answers that demonstrate different personality types. E.G. would you be the type of associate who jumps at the chance to develop commercial awareness by doing a secondment with a client or would you prefer a different stream of work. Hope that helps :)

Anaya

Premium Member
    Sep 13, 2018
    Hey, it's not situational judgement but resembles it because it asks how you would act in a situation. I think it's designed to not have a right or wrong answer, just answers that demonstrate different personality types. E.G. would you be the type of associate who jumps at the chance to develop commercial awareness by doing a secondment with a client or would you prefer a different stream of work. Hope that helps :)
    Thank youu thats helpful. Did you get your feedback report from them?

Catherine

Distinguished Member
    Nov 28, 2018
    Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone on this forum for help and advice - I have now been offered two summer vacation schemes!

Unfortunately, they overlap by one week. Does anyone have any advice or has been in a similar situation? I would really like to try and do both to maximise chances for securing a training contract and also really liked both firms at the ACs.
    One scheme is 3 weeks long, and I know that the first week is mostly introductory talks as the seats don't start until the second week. The other scheme is 2 weeks long.

I was thinking of ringing them both and explaining my situation and asking whether there was anything they could do. Does anyone think it is a good/bad idea to ask whether I could finish the shorter (2 week) scheme 2 days early, and start the longer (3 week) scheme 3 days late?

I want to know my options but at the same time don't want to make either firm think I am less interested in them!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Shearman post-vac scheme interview rejection, not overly surprised, was my first interview and think nerves got the better of me
    You did fantastically well to get to the interview stage and the first AC/interview is always the toughest I think!
    Very best of luck going forwards! The feedback should be very helpful for your next AC/interview :) :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.