What distinguishes you from other applicants to this position?

gigi23

Distinguished Member
Jan 18, 2019
Hello!

I'm about to start another TC application and I've stumbled upon this question: "What distinguishes you from other applicants to this position?"
I'm planning on answering it much like I would a "Why you?" question but I wonder if there's anything I should pay attention to considering the specific wording of the question which is one I haven't encountered yet in any other app I've done. Obviously, I don't know who the other applicants will be so it is rather difficult to completely stick to the question o_O But is answering it 100% like I would a "Why you?" question the right way to do it?

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on this :)

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
I answered mine like a why you question. Listing the skills I have that I think are relevant to the firm and for some (that explicitly say they are training future partners) I talk about my desire to be a partner one day and contribute to the firm in a greater capacity (so basically my genuine commitment to staying and progressing with that specific firm)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Yep I'd treat it like a why you question.

I'd just flag up: make sure you avoid making generic statements. The question is all about what distinguishes you, so you want to focus on your unique selling points that make you a strong candidate. You must also use clear evidence to back up your points.

For example, writing that you are "resilient and hard working" on its own would come across as generic and baseless.

Reactions: AJ

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.