Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi, I have an assessment centre coming up and one of the tasks is a group exercise. I've never done a group interview before. Could anyone please share some tips and advice from their interview experience and any Dos and Don'ts. Thank you in advance!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi, I have an assessment centre coming up and one of the tasks is a group exercise. I've never done a group interview before. Could anyone please share some tips and advice from their interview experience and any Dos and Don'ts. Thank you in advance!
Hi :) this isn’t necessarily an interview as such in my experience but more of a task in a group. They are assessing how well you work with other people which means striking a good balance between contribution and listening. It’s best to show that you can contribute sound ideas and explain them well and palatably. It’s also good to show attention to other and maybe invite people to say what they think about what you’ve said and demonstrate you’ve listened to any pointers people make. Really just be yourself but self aware and don’t be afraid to be the time keeper because time management is key and it’s good for someone to remind the group that you might need to round up a point and move on! Sorry this is quite basic but it’s my initials thoughts :) I’m sure somebody else can expand and give you some further advice (I’ve only done one group task so I’m not as experienced :) )

v123

Valued Member
Jan 16, 2019
Hey all! I posted elsewhere earlier but I'm attending the ACE (Acing Assessment Centres session) at BPP next week. You can get free tickets on Eventbrite. I can provide feedback for all following next Wednesday or I'm sure there are still tickets left online :)

Reactions: wwood and Alice G

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
I heard back from Dechert and it was a rejection... It was my first AC so regardless I'm happy about getting the experience. For my feedback call I was told I came across strong at interview for both motivation and the case study. It was the written exercise that got me. I overcomplicated my response so it wasn't clear. I'm disappointed but now I know what I need to work on for future ACs.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I heard back from Dechert and it was a rejection... It was my first AC so regardless I'm happy about getting the experience. For my feedback call I was told I came across strong at interview for both motivation and the case study. It was the written exercise that got me. I overcomplicated my response so it wasn't clear. I'm disappointed but now I know what I need to work on for future ACs.

As disappointing as rejection is I think the partner interview is often the hardest so really well done for doing so well with that and have confidence in yourself for that, really. I did my First written exercise for Latham recently and had some advice since from Slaughter and May about this as I have another one coming up with them. The best thing is to use headings and write very simply and also ensure you assess all the options put to you. I said to myself I would read for 20-25 mins and spend the rest writing regardless of what I read to give myself time to write and re-read :) I hope this is slightly helpful and well done again because it sounds like you had a very successful first AC (far better than my first one!!)

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
As disappointing as rejection is I think the partner interview is often the hardest so really well done for doing so well with that and have confidence in yourself for that, really. I did my First written exercise for Latham recently and had some advice since from Slaughter and May about this as I have another one coming up with them. The best thing is to use headings and write very simply and also ensure you assess all the options put to you. I said to myself I would read for 20-25 mins and spend the rest writing regardless of what I read to give myself time to write and re-read :) I hope this is slightly helpful and well done again because it sounds like you had a very successful first AC (far better than my first one!!)
Thanks Alice and good luck with Slaughter and May!

Esteemed Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi :) this isn’t necessarily an interview as such in my experience but more of a task in a group. They are assessing how well you work with other people which means striking a good balance between contribution and listening. It’s best to show that you can contribute sound ideas and explain them well and palatably. It’s also good to show attention to other and maybe invite people to say what they think about what you’ve said and demonstrate you’ve listened to any pointers people make. Really just be yourself but self aware and don’t be afraid to be the time keeper because time management is key and it’s good for someone to remind the group that you might need to round up a point and move on! Sorry this is quite basic but it’s my initials thoughts :) I’m sure somebody else can expand and give you some further advice (I’ve only done one group task so I’m not as experienced :) )
Hi Alice, thank you ! This was really helpful

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
I SCORED AN INTERVIEW AT CLEARY!!!! They didn't even send me a rejection email last year! THANK YOU JAYSEN FOR YOUR FORUM!!!!

Screwed up my Australian firm interview HAHA but oh well I learnt a lot!!! Gonna prepare like crazy this time!

Great news!! All the very best :)

Reactions: wwood

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I SCORED AN INTERVIEW AT CLEARY!!!! They didn't even send me a rejection email last year! THANK YOU JAYSEN FOR YOUR FORUM!!!!

Screwed up my Australian firm interview HAHA but oh well I learnt a lot!!! Gonna prepare like crazy this time!

Well done!

Reactions: wwood
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.