2020-21 Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    Hello, I have a quick question, I wonder whether, in an application, it is better to use "unlawful" instead of "ultra vires". Ultra vires is obviously legal jargon and it fits better with my answer but at the same time I don't want it to sound too pretentious for lack of a better word.

Many thanks!

A

Anon 11031

Hello, I have a quick question, I wonder whether, in an application, it is better to use "unlawful" instead of "ultra vires". Ultra vires is obviously legal jargon and it fits better with my answer but at the same time I don't want it to sound too pretentious for lack of a better word.

Many thanks!
    I reckon sticking with "unlawful" is better. Most house writing styles are very much avoidant of legal jargon now, and there's a massive shift away from using overly complicated language as lots of people feel it makes the law inaccessible.

But that's just my opinion!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Many thanks!
    Yeah, I always went by the rule of 'if I included this would a client with no legal knowledge understand what it means?' If the answer's no then I would use a simpler term. In this case, I'd use unlawful for that reason :)

Reactions: MLF

MLF

Valued Member
  • Mar 15, 2021
    I reckon sticking with "unlawful" is better. Most in house writing styles are very much avoidant of legal jargon now, and there's a massive shift away from using overly complicated language as lots of people feel it makes the law inaccessible.

But that's just my opinion!
    Yeah, I always went by the rule of 'if I included this would a client with no legal knowledge understand what it means?' If the answer's no then I would use a simpler term. In this case, I'd use unlawful for that reason :)
    Thank you both, really helpful!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Anon 11031

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d echo this for any jargon/acronym, not just legal speak.

Reactions: MLF

SamTam99

Legendary Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Tbh, I actually want to know when their vac scheme is because work have told me I need to put in provisional dates for annual leave asap. Reckon it's okay to email them and ask that? And just tag at the end, when are we likely to receive an outcome?
    Are they even definitely having a vac scheme? I know in previous years they’ve said that the vac scheme forms part of their final assessment for the TC, but there has literally been no mention of a vac scheme happening this year, or any dates given, and the application was for a direct TC. I’m very confused at this point 🥴

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Are they even definitely having a vac scheme? I know in previous years they’ve said that the vac scheme forms part of their final assessment for the TC, but there has literally been no mention of a vac scheme happening this year, or any dates given, and the application was for a direct TC. I’m very confused at this point 🥴
    On their careers portal and trainee solicitor job description it has a heading of 'vacation scheme' and at the end it says 'DAC Beachcroft runs a combined application process, with the vacation scheme forming part of the assessment process for training contract place.'

But honestly, considering how the deadline was literally ages ago I don't know how they've left it this long to even start inviting people to ACs let alone VS!

Reactions: SamTam99
    A

Anon 11031

On their careers portal and trainee solicitor job description it has a heading of 'vacation scheme' and at the end it says 'DAC Beachcroft runs a combined application process, with the vacation scheme forming part of the assessment process for training contract place.'

But honestly, considering how the deadline was literally ages ago I don't know how they've left it this long to even start inviting people to ACs let alone VS!
    I feel the same way. My work are probably not going to be happy if I have to take loads of time off without a great deal of notice!

Reactions: SamTam99

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    I sent an email and will update you if they reply. I really need to know when they're likely to hold the vac scheme/whether they are having one!

I also just asked when we're likely to know the outcome of the VI!
    Thank you for taking one for the team <3

I really hope they do reply...in a timely manner...😭 😂

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hello all! It’s been a bit of a stressful time at the day job so I had checked out of TC applications. Coming back to them now, and I see that I’ve missed several deadlines. I know that the answer is likely to be if you don’t apply, you don’t have a chance, but, realistically, is there any point is stressing over applications this late in the game? Some of the remaining firms have quite small intakes too - like Boodle Hatfield, Withers, Penningtons. Any insight / thoughts would be great!

PS: I see Dentons is still taking applications? I don’t know why I thought they had finished their recruitment. Does anyone know if they review on a rolling basis?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.