2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

ab1147

Esteemed Member
Jan 21, 2021
Does anyone know what the term dates (Autumn intake that is) were for the GDL at BPP and ULaw this academic year?. I might have to defer my May exams to August due to extenuating reasons and want to know whether I can still start the course after I get my results by the end of September ish. Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Any help would be really appreciated.

Also if I was to get a TC offer, would law firms allow me to start the course slightly later due to this reason @Jessica Booker? Surely they wouldn't mind as long as I get a 2:1 overall in my undergrad right?
I’m doing the GDL at BPP and we started on 7th September, but I know people who were allowed to enrol up to two weeks after the initial start date. My friends at ULaw started their teaching at the end of September I think! Hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry this is not law related but I have an interview for a Policy Adviser role at the Civil Service. Its a behaviours/strengths based interview but I haven't done an interview in a while so was hoping to get some tips? I currently work at the CS but my interview was exceptionally easy and only took 15 minutes so I don't think its a good comparator!
Is this for HM Treasury or another department?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what the term dates (Autumn intake that is) were for the GDL at BPP and ULaw this academic year?. I might have to defer my May exams to August due to extenuating reasons and want to know whether I can still start the course after I get my results by the end of September ish. Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Any help would be really appreciated.

Also if I was to get a TC offer, would law firms allow me to start the course slightly later due to this reason @Jessica Booker? Surely they wouldn't mind as long as I get a 2:1 overall in my undergrad right?
I have known sponsored future trainees starting the GDL 1-2 weeks later than the course start date. Think the courses generally start the third week of September, but it's been a while since I have enrolled someone on to a course, and things may change this year given both Covid/SQE stuff

Msh123

Jul 10, 2019
What does it mean if you've been waiting to hear back post-final stage for 6 weeks and have been told the firm is still collecting feedback?? Is that their way of saying we're leaving PFOs till the end so we will reject you later, or they genuinely have not decided?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What does it mean if you've been waiting to hear back post-final stage for 6 weeks and have been told the firm is still collecting feedback?? Is that their way of saying we're leaving PFOs till the end so we will reject you later, or they genuinely have not decided?
Most likely they are still interviewing other candidates and won't make a decision on you until it all interviews are concluded. It's not a negative though - grhy could easily have decided to turn you down if they didn't think you were up to the standard try would expect.

lawnoodle

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 23, 2021
Sorry this is not law related but I have an interview for a Policy Adviser role at the Civil Service. Its a behaviours/strengths based interview but I haven't done an interview in a while so was hoping to get some tips? I currently work at the CS but my interview was exceptionally easy and only took 15 minutes so I don't think its a good comparator!
I work for HMRC and my role required an interview that lasted about an hour (I work in compliance). What sort of advice are you looking for? I'll try my best to answer any questions you might have! ☺️ Feel free to PM if you need to.

Lawstudent1997

Star Member
Mar 2, 2021
Anyone still not heard back from Withers post interview? I emailed 3 weeks ago and they said they were making ‘final decisions’ that week but my interview was 9 weeks ago now :( just feel like if they have a reserve list and I’m on it it would be nice to know or just send me a PFO- the waiting is killing me haha

• Sad
Reactions: LawGrad2019

WRM19

Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 11, 2020
Has anyone else not heard from Winckworth Sherwood? I had my interview in early February and still haven't heard. I know a few people have had PFOs and some have had direct TC interviews. I'm not sure whether to email them in case there has been an admin error or to just keep waiting!
Hey! I interviewed with them last year, it was rather disappointing but they’d totally forgotten to give me a response. A good 3 weeks went by before I emailed and they said they thought they’d contacted me - so definitely worth getting in touch with them if you don’t hear!

• ✅
Reactions: chloe_

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey everyone. I've been lurking but this is my first post. I'm a non-law student and I have no real law work experience apart from online sherpa/forage schemes. Unfortunately I was not successful in any of my VS applications. Is there any point in applying for direct TCs? If so, could anyone suggest any firms which take a substantial amount of their graduates from direct TC applications, in particular I would like to focus on environmental/energy/real estate.
    You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by applying, so yes there is always a point in applying! Plenty of people secure TCs without legal work experience and the forage schemes are good way to demonstrate your motivation in apps. This thread has a list of firms that recruit heavily from TC. NRF is pretty EMI focused and BCLP are quite strong in real estate - don't know any other firms off the top of my head unfortunately.

Reactions: Jaysen

Holly

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi, does anyone know if Forsters give their vac scheme offers via email or telephone? I know they are not going to get back to us until the end of the month (cry) but I think I will be somewhere with bad phone signal that week.

Sorry, no idea. But I’d have a voicemail set up in case they can’t get through to you by call.