3 vacancies at 3 different offices - same firm - can I apply to all 3?

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
Fieldfresher is doing an insight week over the summer and has 3 applications for their 3 offices in London, Manchester and Birmingham.

Can I apply to all 3 or am I only supposed to apply to one?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fieldfresher is doing an insight week over the summer and has 3 applications for their 3 offices in London, Manchester and Birmingham.

Can I apply to all 3 or am I only supposed to apply to one?
I would suggest only applying to one. The criteria for the programmes will be the same, it is just to create different pipelines of talent and monitor that for each office more carefully.

Reactions: jamieclarke

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
Can I add a 2 hour virtual insight evening on my CV/Linkedin?

Also, is there any point applying for an open day/insight week if it is close to the deadline and they recruit on a rolling basis?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can I add a 2 hour virtual insight evening on my CV/Linkedin?

Also, is there any point applying for an open day/insight week if it is close to the deadline and they recruit on a rolling basis?
I personally wouldn’t add this to your CV or LinkedIn under work experience, but some people add these things to other sections.

I’d still apply if applications are still open and you are interested in the firm.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
A common question that comes up when applying for insight days is what business news story has interested me.
Can I use the Uber case as my story, or am I supposed to use like an actual story from and article and not a case?

Also, can I apply for the Hill Dickinson insight scheme, because it comes in conjunction with a TC, but that is to commence in September 2024? Thanks.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
A common question that comes up when applying for insight days is what business news story has interested me.
Can I use the Uber case as my story, or am I supposed to use like an actual story from and article and not a case?

Also, can I apply for the Hill Dickinson insight scheme, because it comes in conjunction with a TC, but that is to commence in September 2024? Thanks.
You can use the Uber case in your application. Just be mindful that this is often quite a popular story to talk about, so I think you’ll have to ensure you talk about this well and really show your analysis to stand out from the crowd.

It looks like the Insight programme is a good route to take if you then want to apply for a TC with HD.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
Hi, I've my first interview with a law firm for a first year scheme next week.
Apart from the obvious why commercial law/this firm, what other sort of questions could pop up?
Any tips on what to say for why this firm would be appreciated as well because I am struggling to think of what to say.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I've my first interview with a law firm for a first year scheme next week.
Apart from the obvious why commercial law/this firm, what other sort of questions could pop up?
Any tips on what to say for why this firm would be appreciated as well because I am struggling to think of what to say.
There might be some basic competency questions asking you to talk about times you have developed a particular skill set too.

With the why firm, try to break down what is important to you in your career or at this early stage what you are inquisitive to learn more about and how the firm can potentially provide those opportunities, whether through the first year programme or through future opportunities.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
Hi again, strange question incoming, but DLA Piper and Eversheds Sutherland have recently upped their NQ salary to £65k and £63k respectfully. One of my three choices for a mentoring scheme that I am on was Addleshaw Goddard, and I picked them as a choice because I am not keen on moving to London. Because most people do want to work in London, and AG pay is low in London, the choice isn't popular and I am bound to get them for this reason.

I said that I would be willing to have them as my sponsor, because I am presuming that AG will follow suit and up their NQ salary to around the 60k mark (they currently pay £50k), and I was wondering whether this is likely and if you agree?
It isn't too late for me to change my options, and the other choices are high paying US firms.

Thanks,
Jamie.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi again, strange question incoming, but DLA Piper and Eversheds Sutherland have recently upped their NQ salary to £65k and £63k respectfully. One of my three choices for a mentoring scheme that I am on was Addleshaw Goddard, and I picked them as a choice because I am not keen on moving to London. Because most people do want to work in London, and AG pay is low in London, the choice isn't popular and I am bound to get them for this reason.

I said that I would be willing to have them as my sponsor, because I am presuming that AG will follow suit and up their NQ salary to around the 60k mark (they currently pay £50k), and I was wondering whether this is likely and if you agree?
It isn't too late for me to change my options, and the other choices are high paying US firms.

Thanks,
Jamie.
Are you looking at this just for a mentoring programme perspective or for a longer term career?

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
It comes with work experience at the firm as well, so I'm presuming that the firm I get with will boost my chances of me attaining a TC with them, so I see this choice as potentially affecting my longer term career.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It comes with work experience at the firm as well, so I'm presuming that the firm I get with will boost my chances of me attaining a TC with them, so I see this choice as potentially affecting my longer term career.
I wouldn't necessarily equate a mentoring programme with where you will end up as a career. There are going to be far more many variables that influence your career rather than a mentoring programme and a potential work experience opportunity off the back of it.

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
It is guaranteed work experience, but I know that doesn't guarantee me a TC offer from them in the future, but I thought it would help a lot.

What are your thoughts on working in regions, because everyone seems to be so London obsessed? What's the benefit of working in London, apart from the bigger salaries?

On the topic of salaries though, with how expensive people say London is, 65K in regions can't be any worse than 100/105k in London?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is guaranteed work experience, but I know that doesn't guarantee me a TC offer from them in the future, but I thought it would help a lot.

What are your thoughts on working in regions, because everyone seems to be so London obsessed? What's the benefit of working in London, apart from the bigger salaries?

On the topic of salaries though, with how expensive people say London is, 65K in regions can't be any worse than 100/105k in London?
I would still not worry too much about it being a guaranteed work experience programme - you'll have plenty of time to build up experiences outside of the firm you have a mentor at. I wouldn't say one placement would have that big an impact - it doesn't with the 100s of people I have seen with other mentoring programmes anyway.

I think you have to work where you are happy to work and live. Most people head for London because they either live close to London or are willing to work in the city. Many people don't want to do that though - they want to be close to home or have ties to other locations.

The benefits of London really depend on what motivates you - you are much more likely to work with certain clients on certain matters in London than you are in other locations.

It really depends on what region you want to compare London too. Renting a one-bed apartment in zones 1-3 in London will be anywhere between £1500-3000 a month depending on the precise location. Going out in London is typically more expensive than other cities/locations - it wouldn't be surprising to spend £6 on a pint or £7.50 on a gin & tonic for instance. A gym membership in the city could easily be £80 a month.

This article might help with comparative cost of living: The True Cost of Living in UK Cities | ABC FINANCE

jamieclarke

Dec 30, 2021
Hey, I've a few more questions if you don't mind answering them. Would be a greta help.

1.) How easy is it to move firm after I've completed my training, I'm thinking if they don't retain me for any reason, or I decide I don't like the firm and another firm does an area of law I am interested in, or I move to London and want to move back north after my TC.
2.) Promotion or partner pay. I don't know how to ask this but an example should explain it. I do my TC at a firm in London on a £100k NQ salary and a firm that has a £125k NQ salary. But the former firm actually has more opportunities for promotion with higher pay packets, so the firms are luring you in with a high NQ salary, but if you want to a lower paying NQ firm you would be earring more years down the line. I think LC did an article about this before. Also, there's averages on the Legal Cheek, but every partner has a different % so they it isn't that useful of a tool.
3.) I know many students use the logic as, the more the firm pays, the more hours you will be working. Would you say this is fairly true. However, I've been to a few open days and the trainees say that the workload is relatively the same across offices, but I do doubt how honest an answer that is. Would a DLA Piper associate at £95k NQ be doing the same hours as a £150k NQ associate.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.