S

Star Member
Apr 27, 2018
Hello,

i am aware for both AC's there is a case study interview.

If anyone has any guidance please can you let me know how I can prep for them, and if there are practice ones available at all online. I've never done a case study interview before so have no idea what to expect, would really appreciate any tips from anyone who has experience.

On a separate note - any advice on how to juggle 4 AC's all within just over a weeks time, whilst working full-time, I find that I'm only having my 1hr lunch break time to actually do preparation. To say im stressed is an understatement lol.

Thank you in advance!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

S

Star Member
    Apr 27, 2018
    Thank you v much!! I've taken the week off when I have 2 ACs literally one day after another, so that'll give me the weekend plus Mon-Wed. Unfortunately, I can't take the next 2 weeks off. I am WFH instead.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A kind soul who recently secured a CC training contract just sent me this. I hope it helps!

"The day starts off with a competency interview. It's relatively straightforward - just a chat about what you do outside the university, some basic competencies and your motivations for Clifford Chance.

Arguably, the hardest part of the day is the next part - written exercise and Partner interview. The case study is a written task where you have to highlight issues about a potential acquisition to a partner. The exercise is really time-pressured, so I would advise writing very concisely, with clear headings and mainly highlighting key points. It is essential that you know how transactions work, what practice areas may be involved and any current affairs that may affect the proposed transaction.

When presenting to the partner, its important to tackle is systematically. After that, its up to the partner to probe you and ask you questions about the case study. The partner may even talk about issues or your motivations beyond the case study. For my interview, my partner did not even read what I had typed out in the written exercise!

All in all, the AC at Clifford Chance is not particularly challenging, unless of course you get a Partner who deliberately makes it extremely technical. Even then, the issues in the case study are relatively straightforward. I think that the AC at CC is predominantly trying to get a feel of your personality. Bottom line, just be confident and be calm. As they will emphasise on the AC, they are looking for potential! A few of my friends who got the TC as well thought they bombed the Partner interview, but as long as you show a logical thought processes, you should be fine."

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    From another student who interviewed at CC this month:

"It was a two-part interview and for both I felt that it was pretty relaxed. The first interview was a typical competency interview (i.e. why law, why CC, and then 3-4 "tell me about a time when..." questions which I imagine vary across interviews, since my two interviewers seemed to have their own separate questions prepared). As far as the case study, it was essentially an M&A situation and advising a partner on whether the deal made sense based on some info they provided you on the companies. The partner definitely tried to challenge me, and occasionally he went in a direction where it wasn't entirely clear what he was looking for, but for the most part I think it's not too hard to do well in with minimal preparation. Compared to what I've heard about other firms, CC's interview didn't seem too bad."

Reactions: AJ

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just wanted to say thank you to you Jaysen and everyone else on this forum! I have finally done it and secured a TC with CC. Really appreciate all the help and support from here. If anyone needs any assistance at all please let me know!! I am more than happy to help.
    Huge congrats!

Reactions: S

heidipercyslinky

Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 28, 2019
    Just wanted to say thank you to you Jaysen and everyone else on this forum! I have finally done it and secured a TC with CC. Really appreciate all the help and support from here. If anyone needs any assistance at all please let me know!! I am more than happy to help.
    Congratulations! How did you find the AC? Any tips would be great!

S

Star Member
    Apr 27, 2018
    Thank you both!!

first interview

This is competency based. So I got asked first to highlight something from my CV and then the questions I got were dependant on my answers (though they have a bank of qs i think which they choose from, which sort of flows from ur answers). Nothing difficult though, examples included, teamwork, overcoming a challenge, why i would suit being a trainee and suit being at CC. I was also asked about a current issue on loans (only because i said i currently do work in that area, so just know that depending on the experiences/examples you mention you could get anything else asked from that). This is a v standard competency interview. As always use the STAR method and I imagine you will have examples of all the key competencies anyway. So just make sure you can explain everything clearly and concisely.

second interview
    This is based on a case study. You go into a room and have 30mins to read some docs and draft an email to a partner highlighting key issues. This is based on M&A. The doc isn't long like 3 pages there are commercial issues and then legal. Go through each of CC's practice areas and highlight the issues that could arise from the transaction. This is v open ended by the way and the interview will go depending on the issues etc you think could arise. So just know there is no right or wrong answer! You have about 10 minutes to present what you think are the key issues and then the partner questions you. Again with the questions, just think of solutions you can offer to the issues you spot, this doesnt have to be legal by the way, could be as simple as two parties just reaching an agreement on their own, just be able to justify it and say why it will be good for the client. For this it helps to link it back to the clients strategy. After then you'll get generic qs on why CC etc.

All in all my experience at CC was the best (not just saying it bc they offered me the TC lol). They are all so nice and friendly, and ultimately from what I realised is that CC want people who are enthusiastic, show an interest in the firm, and who have a personality. The interviews were not difficult for me at all, even the case study interview was like a general conversation. The partners guide you to the answers and explain everything very clearly, its not like you'll be in for a grilling or anything, they just want to see potential! So just be relaxed and be yourself - I know everyone says that but really at CC I was myself and even had a discussion with the partner about films ahah.

• 🏆
    Reactions: S30, Zahra, Salma and 3 others

heidipercyslinky

Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 28, 2019
    Thank you both!!

first interview

This is competency based. So I got asked first to highlight something from my CV and then the questions I got were dependant on my answers (though they have a bank of qs i think which they choose from, which sort of flows from ur answers). Nothing difficult though, examples included, teamwork, overcoming a challenge, why i would suit being a trainee and suit being at CC. I was also asked about a current issue on loans (only because i said i currently do work in that area, so just know that depending on the experiences/examples you mention you could get anything else asked from that). This is a v standard competency interview. As always use the STAR method and I imagine you will have examples of all the key competencies anyway. So just make sure you can explain everything clearly and concisely.

second interview
    This is based on a case study. You go into a room and have 30mins to read some docs and draft an email to a partner highlighting key issues. This is based on M&A. The doc isn't long like 3 pages there are commercial issues and then legal. Go through each of CC's practice areas and highlight the issues that could arise from the transaction. This is v open ended by the way and the interview will go depending on the issues etc you think could arise. So just know there is no right or wrong answer! You have about 10 minutes to present what you think are the key issues and then the partner questions you. Again with the questions, just think of solutions you can offer to the issues you spot, this doesnt have to be legal by the way, could be as simple as two parties just reaching an agreement on their own, just be able to justify it and say why it will be good for the client. For this it helps to link it back to the clients strategy. After then you'll get generic qs on why CC etc.

All in all my experience at CC was the best (not just saying it bc they offered me the TC lol). They are all so nice and friendly, and ultimately from what I realised is that CC want people who are enthusiastic, show an interest in the firm, and who have a personality. The interviews were not difficult for me at all, even the case study interview was like a general conversation. The partners guide you to the answers and explain everything very clearly, its not like you'll be in for a grilling or anything, they just want to see potential! So just be relaxed and be yourself - I know everyone says that but really at CC I was myself and even had a discussion with the partner about films ahah.
    Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for telling us about your experience! Great tips :D

Did the interviewers ask anything about recent deals?

Last edited:

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018

Massive congrats!!!

Reactions: S

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.