A question about how to disclose module marks for non-law students on apps, please help?

AV2000

Jul 9, 2022
Long story short, I am a medical student wanting to pursue law instead. I have a question about disclosing grades. Unlike other degrees, are course doesn't get classes, we get put into 'deciles' instead (so 10 overall deciles) which is determined by our final examination mark. I scored 70% in my exam, which placed in the 3rd decile (so within top 30% of the year). How do I disclose this to law firms? This is our end of year exam, which is the only summative exam we have. We have further essay projects & a december formative exam which I am presuming will also need to be mentioned on the application.

However, we also have these weird 'progress tests' where our university makes us do 5th year exams each quarter term (basically to show progression/increase familiarity with actual medicine). NONE of the content on these progress tests is relevant to anything we've learnt (it contains questions from 3rd, 4th, 5th year) and for the 1st/2nd year it's meant to simply be an insight. However, the marks for it still show up in my transcript (the average 1st year marks for this test are 25%, which basically is due to chance rather than knowledge since it's a multiple choice exam). Do I need to disclose this to law firms? how do they look at module results for non-law students? I'm a little worried that law firms wouldn't know the context behind these 'progress tests' and doubt my academic capability?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Long story short, I am a medical student wanting to pursue law instead. I have a question about disclosing grades. Unlike other degrees, are course doesn't get classes, we get put into 'deciles' instead (so 10 overall deciles) which is determined by our final examination mark. I scored 70% in my exam, which placed in the 3rd decile (so within top 30% of the year). How do I disclose this to law firms? This is our end of year exam, which is the only summative exam we have. We have further essay projects & a december formative exam which I am presuming will also need to be mentioned on the application.

However, we also have these weird 'progress tests' where our university makes us do 5th year exams each quarter term (basically to show progression/increase familiarity with actual medicine). NONE of the content on these progress tests is relevant to anything we've learnt (it contains questions from 3rd, 4th, 5th year) and for the 1st/2nd year it's meant to simply be an insight. However, the marks for it still show up in my transcript (the average 1st year marks for this test are 25%, which basically is due to chance rather than knowledge since it's a multiple choice exam). Do I need to disclose this to law firms? how do they look at module results for non-law students? I'm a little worried that law firms wouldn't know the context behind these 'progress tests' and doubt my academic capability?
I would disclose the grades from the tests you have mentioned and the decile. If these don’t naturally fit into the application form, then use any extra information to provide clarity. If there is not one, send the detail in a follow up email.

Non law grades are looked at the same way as law grades, so they will want to see you did well during your degree and some of ability to assess progression of your studies.

Reactions: AV2000

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.