AC at DWF

louislitt

Aug 11, 2018
Hi,

I have an assessment centre at DWF, does anyone have any advice or tips they can share? It involves:

• panel interview
• group exercise/presentation
• checking exercise

What is the best way to prepare for unseen presentations/group exercises and checking exercises?

Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Hi,

I have an assessment centre at DWF, does anyone have any advice or tips they can share? It involves:

• panel interview
• checking exercise

What is the best way to prepare for unseen presentations/group exercises and checking exercises?

Thanks in advance!

I remember speaking to someone recently who had a DWF interview - will see if he has any advice! Do you know what they mean by checking exercise? Is that like proofreading?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'll see if I can find some trainees. Will also share some advice on presentations/group exercises shortly.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi,

• panel interview
    • checking exercise

Thanks in advance!

I spoke to a few future trainees at DWF and they have kindly offered to give you some advice for the AC. I will PM you.

It's generally difficult to prepare for group exercises (which is partly the point). But here's some thoughts:
    • Practice expressing your views out loud, or if possible, within a group. Try to articulate your points clearly, but simply.
    • You want to be confident, but not forceful. Think about your non-verbal body language when you speak. Sit up straight, smile, and use gestures to help get your message across.
    • Practicing debating. Choose a topic and find someone to play devil’s advocate. Try to defend your position. Then practice arguing the opposing point of view. See if you can stay calm under pressure. I’ve seen many candidates lose their cool during group exercises, and it never goes down well.

Last edited:

taneshS

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Feb 26, 2018
    Hi,

• panel interview
    • checking exercise

Thanks in advance!

For the checking exercise, I saw someone ask this on TSR when I was looking into it. Fourth post down: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=78958532&highlight=

Reactions: louislitt

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    I know you've had plenty of advice by now, but here's some more from a future trainee!

"My top tips would be to know the firm well (products/services they offer and how this sets them apart from their competitors), think about their international expansion (in my interview I was asked a lot of questions about this), in the interview (which was a member of grad recruitment and 2 partners) just be genuine and show them why you will fit the firm. The questions were scenario based and competency based mainly so it is key to find a way to incorporate knowledge of the firm into the answers.

From what I have heard they have changed the AC since I did mine but in the group activity I had I would say the tips would be to show leadership skills when needed, communicate well with the others, make only valid points (do not just say things because you think you need to speak as much as you can!). I also had to do a presentation (there was a list of topics to choose from which you got on the day). Tips would be use the whiteboard/paper you are given, make sure you stick to time limits, if you do not have much knowledge of the topic then that isn’t the end of world as they are focusing on your presentation skills (eye contact, speed of speech etc). The final activity I had was a written test, I don’t have many tips for that that I’m afraid, the instructions they gave were easy to follow so just make you you plan your time well to get it completed!"

Reactions: Ali2020

WMA

Feb 17, 2020
    Hey, sorry for the late post, but I have an AC with DWF tomorrow with the same structure as above, all these tips were super useful and if you have any more I'd love to know! Many Thanks :)

Reactions: Alice10

Alice10

Jan 27, 2019
    Hey, sorry for the late post, but I have an AC with DWF tomorrow with the same structure as above, all these tips were super useful and if you have any more I'd love to know! Many Thanks :)

Hi, hope the AC went well for you.

Is the interview entirely to do with situational strengths? (i.e 'what would you do in this situation')

WMA

Feb 17, 2020
    Hi, hope the AC went well for you.

Is the interview entirely to do with situational strengths? (i.e 'what would you do in this situation')
    Hey,
    Yeah it was very situational strengths based and a couple of questions about teamwork and building relationships. You cant really prepare for any of the Q's so dont worry about them asking things you wont know the answer to :)

Reactions: Alice10

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey Jaysen, would you mind PM'ing me that advice too?
    Thanks!

Hey, I'm afraid the advice they gave was a few years ago for that particular person in the forum. Apologies I can't be of more help here but you may find a search in the forum to be more useful (back then, we had a fraction of the threads we have now).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.