AC - is each part given equal weight?

KB2020

Future Trainee
Aug 4, 2020
Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone knew if during the assessment day each part is weighted equally or if certain parts are more heavily weighted eg. interview.

I had an AC recently and I think that I messed up the written exercise due to missing a key clause so I'm wondering whether that would automatically rule me out.

Thanks,

hd112211

• Feb 20, 2021
    Hi all,

I was just wondering whether anyone knew if during the assessment day each part is weighted equally or if certain parts are more heavily weighted eg. interview.

I had an AC recently and I think that I messed up the written exercise due to missing a key clause so I'm wondering whether that would automatically rule me out.

Thanks,
    I'd be interested to know what everyone's thoughts are on this as well.

JKs

Feb 24, 2019
    This is going to be different for each firm. On the Linklaters AC, we were told that we had to pass each component of the AC in order to be made an offer (i.e. doing well in one interview was not going to mitigate not doing as well in the other interview). Similarly, at an AC for another firm that I did around 4 years ago, my feedback was that they were unable to give me an offer as I did not pass one of the tests that we had to do on the day despite receiving really positive feedback for my interview and group exercise.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi all,

Thanks,
    Yeah this will literally be firm by firm I'm afraid. Some firms will heavily prioritise the interview, some firms will require you to do well in all 3 of the assessed parts of the day... there's no real way of knowing so best bet is to just give all of them your best shot!

Reactions: KB2020

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Hi all,

Thanks,

Hey, just to add to what others have said - it really does depend on the firm.

I have been allocated on the waiting list for two firms because I passed an interview and group exercise really well but not so well on the written exercise!

I’ve also had firms automatically rule me out for the same reason because they need candidates to pass everything to a certain standard

Having said that, I know people who passed other exercises but failed to complete their written exercise and was still awarded a VS offer.

So it really depends on the firm. Try not to dwell too much on it.

Best of luck

Reactions: KB2020

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.