AC tips, tricks, anti-barf pills and BAME resources?

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
Happy evening, ya filthy animals.

So in a shocking turn of events, I just got through to the Assessment Centre stage for Ropes & Gray's Vac Scheme! I’m equally elated and terrified. Anyone else got the email?

Pretty please, if you've got experience with R&G, do you mind sharing your tips for their particular style of assessment? Or does anyone have any resources to prepare for the components (negotiation exercise, elevator pitch style presentation, written exercise) through the R&G framework?

Lastly, I wanted to know if anyone knew of any program that helped you (maybe even on a 1 on 1 basis) prepare for interviews and negotiations. I haven't ever landed an AC and come from a non-law degree background so I feel like barfing (hence the title of the post) when thinking about being potentially grilled by a partner. I've heard there's resources like AS and Rare that help those from a BAME background succeed but Rare's not accepted me 2 years in a row and I've missed AS' deadline already I think.

Anyway, any support or thoughts would be accepted warmly. Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My tip if you can't find a AS/Rare type organisation to support you - find someone from Ropes & Gray you have a connection/similarity too.

For instance, a lawyer who went to your university or school. And then try and connect with them to get their support/advice.

Also speak to your university careers service as they may have some resources to support you too.

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
My tip if you can't find a AS/Rare type organisation to support you - find someone from Ropes & Gray you have a connection/similarity too.

For instance, a lawyer who went to your university or school. And then try and connect with them to get their support/advice.

Also speak to your university careers service as they may have some resources to support you too.
I've graduated and my University is one of those ruthless ones where they kick you out as soon as you throw your grad cap in the air! However, you're absolutely right about finding someone with a personal link - I'll give this a shot. Thank you so very much Jessica! 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've graduated and my University is one of those ruthless ones where they kick you out as soon as you throw your grad cap in the air! However, you're absolutely right about finding someone with a personal link - I'll give this a shot. Thank you so very much Jessica! 😊
Try your university alumni network too then. It is very surprising to hear that your uni won’t allow you to use the careers service if you have graduated in the last year as all their employability measures are based off of what you are doing 15 months after graduating!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.