Accepting a vac scheme before knowing outcome of another application?

B1806

Distinguished Member
Dec 31, 2019
Thus far I've done three vac scheme interviews and have received 1 offer (I've heard nothing back yet from the other two). I also have an interview coming up in 3 weeks for another firm (probably my biggest preference).

The issue is, the deadline to accept my current vac scheme offer is a week before my next interview, which means that if I want to get that scheme I have to decline this one. I was just wondering if it's possible to accept a scheme and then decline it if I get another offer. Does that commonly occur? What should I do alternatively?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey, first off congrats on your VS offer and the upcoming AC! You're doing so well!

To answer your question, yes you can accept one scheme and decline another, it happens a lot.

Personally, when I was juggling my scheme offers from last year I just accepted whatever came in first and then worried about clashed dates later when I'd received all my offers. So instead of declining one or another (after all the more chances at a TC the better right?), I emailed grad rec and asked if I could be switched to a summer scheme instead of a spring or just do a later scheme in the summer. From my experience, most firms are pretty flexible with this kind of thing, but it really depends on the firm.

You could email this firm now and ask if you can switch scheme dates, that way if you do get the VS with your first choice firm you'd still be in the clear. I think this would be a good approach because the sooner you let the firm know you need to switch dates the less likely it is that they'd have made preparations to onboard you and the easier it would be to move!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Hey, first off congrats on your VS offer and the upcoming AC! You're doing so well!

To answer your question, yes you can accept one scheme and decline another, it happens a lot.

Personally, when I was juggling my scheme offers from last year I just accepted whatever came in first and then worried about clashed dates later when I'd received all my offers. So instead of declining one or another (after all the more chances at a TC the better right?), I emailed grad rec and asked if I could be switched to a summer scheme instead of a spring or just do a later scheme in the summer. From my experience, most firms are pretty flexible with this kind of thing, but it really depends on the firm.

You could email this firm now and ask if you can switch scheme dates, that way if you do get the VS with your first choice firm you'd still be in the clear. I think this would be a good approach because the sooner you let the firm know you need to switch dates the less likely it is that they'd have made preparations to onboard you and the easier it would be to move!
    Thanks so much for your reply!

The firm I have an offer for doesn't offer separate dates for their schemes, unfortunately, which would mean that if I accepted their scheme right now and then accepted a clashing one, I would realistically only be left with the ability to reject this scheme. The other thing is that BOTH of the other firm's scheme dates clash with this one.

I'm guessing I should still accept, though, right?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

The firm I have an offer for doesn't offer separate dates for their schemes, unfortunately, which would mean that if I accepted their scheme right now and then accepted a clashing one, I would realistically only be left with the ability to reject this scheme. The other thing is that BOTH of the other firm's scheme dates clash with this one.

Yup, in that case I'd still recommend accepting this one first. After all there is no guarantee that you'll get an offer from your first choice firm and you don't want to be left without a VS at all. If you do get your first choice firm then renege on this firm. I know some people do ask firms if they can be transferred/considered for a direct TC app instead when they do have conflicting offers although I myself don't have experience with this, but just thought I'd mention the option!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Yeah just to add my 2 cents, I completely agree with what @Dheepa has said above. Would definitely accept the one you've got now and cross that bridge if and when you come to it later. I'd definitely ask to be switched to the Direct TC route as most firms are used to this happening and are often accommodating and, frankly, if don't ask you don't get! Best of luck with the scheme :)

B1806

Distinguished Member
    Dec 31, 2019
    Yup, in that case I'd still recommend accepting this one first. After all there is no guarantee that you'll get an offer from your first choice firm and you don't want to be left without a VS at all. If you do get your first choice firm then renege on this firm. I know some people do ask firms if they can be transferred/considered for a direct TC app instead when they do have conflicting offers although I myself don't have experience with this, but just thought I'd mention the option!
    Yeah just to add my 2 cents, I completely agree with what @Dheepa has said above. Would definitely accept the one you've got now and cross that bridge if and when you come to it later. I'd definitely ask to be switched to the Direct TC route as most firms are used to this happening and are often accommodating and, frankly, if don't ask you don't get! Best of luck with the scheme :)
    Thank you both! That clears things up a lot! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.