Accepting TC offer with upcoming vacation scheme?

Bobsdr

Apr 30, 2023
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on my current situation.

I was fortunate enough to get two vacation scheme placements (one spring and one summer). I have completed my spring scheme and recently found out that I was successful and was offered a training contract. I am absolutely delighted and really grateful, I really enjoyed my scheme and can envision myself working at this firm. However, they have sent me a contract to sign within a stipulated time period that is before my summer scheme. I don't currently have a strong preference between the two firms but I feel that without going to the summer scheme, experiencing the firm and familiarising myself with the culture, I won't know which would be better suited for me to train at. I obviously don't want the 1st firm to think that I am just waiting out for a better option, but similarly I think I will regret not going to the summer scheme in case it is a better fit for me.

Note: I have checked my contract and there is nothing that specifically says that I cannot attend vacation schemes with other firms.

What are my options? Should I accept this offer and just not say anything? Will they be able to do anything if I decide to turn it down later? Alternatively, is it better to be honest and ask them if I could let them know after my other scheme?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on my current situation.

I was fortunate enough to get two vacation scheme placements (one spring and one summer). I have completed my spring scheme and recently found out that I was successful and was offered a training contract. I am absolutely delighted and really grateful, I really enjoyed my scheme and can envision myself working at this firm. However, they have sent me a contract to sign within a stipulated time period that is before my summer scheme. I don't currently have a strong preference between the two firms but I feel that without going to the summer scheme, experiencing the firm and familiarising myself with the culture, I won't know which would be better suited for me to train at. I obviously don't want the 1st firm to think that I am just waiting out for a better option, but similarly I think I will regret not going to the summer scheme in case it is a better fit for me.

Note: I have checked my contract and there is nothing that specifically says that I cannot attend vacation schemes with other firms.

What are my options? Should I accept this offer and just not say anything? Will they be able to do anything if I decide to turn it down later? Alternatively, is it better to be honest and ask them if I could let them know after my other scheme?

Thanks!
You should also check your VS offer letter as this can also state you can’t have accepted a TC elsewhere.

But assuming your VS hasn’t got a term and given there is nothing in your TC offer, you can do your VS and if you get a TC from them too, you can renege your offer for the original TC. The only time this becomes an issue is when you have received any form of financial or training support from the firm, and that can include starting the onboarding processes for the GDL/LPC/SQE.

If you reneged, technically a firm could pursue you for breach of contract but the reality is that they are not going to do this. The time/costs of this don’t make any sense when it is easy to replace you. It is different if you have sought money/training from the firm - they could look to recover those costs (even if you don’t start the course, if you have started onboarding to law school/prep courses, the firm may be liable for those costs).

You can ask them whether they can extend the offer until after you vacation scheme though. Many people request this each year. The firm may say no though - although many will allow this at the same time.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
You should also check your VS offer letter as this can also state you can’t have accepted a TC elsewhere.

But assuming your VS hasn’t got a term and given there is nothing in your TC offer, you can do your VS and if you get a TC from them too, you can renege your offer for the original TC. The only time this becomes an issue is when you have received any form of financial or training support from the firm, and that can include starting the onboarding processes for the GDL/LPC/SQE.

If you reneged, technically a firm could pursue you for breach of contract but the reality is that they are not going to do this. The time/costs of this don’t make any sense when it is easy to replace you. It is different if you have sought money/training from the firm - they could look to recover those costs (even if you don’t start the course, if you have started onboarding to law school/prep courses, the firm may be liable for those costs).

You can ask them whether they can extend the offer until after you vacation scheme though. Many people request this each year. The firm may say no though - although many will allow this at the same time.
Hi Jessica,
Was hoping to piggyback off this question - if you ask to extend, is it ever a possibility that the firm withdraws the offer in response?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,
Was hoping to piggyback off this question - if you ask to extend, is it ever a possibility that the firm withdraws the offer in response?
I guess there is a possibility but there is always a possibility of a offer being withdrawn.

I just think it is ridiculously unlikely they will withdraw if you ask. They think you are a good hire - they aren’t just going to backtrack now because you are asking something fairly reasonable.

The worst that is likely to happen is they say no to the extension and then you have to work out what you want to do from there.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.