Acquiring a foreign company

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi all, I have a quick question. If a company was acquiring another foreign company what are some of the considerations a lawyer would need to think of or instruct local counsel to do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all, I have a quick question. If a company was acquiring another foreign company what are some of the considerations a lawyer would need to think of or instruct local counsel to do?

what have you thought of so far?

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Tax considerations, cultural differences, different financing arrangements (i.e acquiring a foreign company which is a country that uses Islamic financing), timing in terms of different time zones

Good. But also laws and regulations...

MarathonNotaSprint

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020
A good (current) example of this would be the planned takeover of Italian company PartnerRe by the French company Covea. Looking at the challenges their lawyers are facing (such as applying French law to the termination of the transaction) would really help you answer this question, I believe

Reactions: W

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
I like to go through the departments of a law firm in these situations and think - What do they do? Would they be involved? So here, you might get to Competition, or whatever guise it comes in and then ask yourself: "Are there any competition/monopoly issues here that need addressing?". Do this for every department and you often will have a well-thought-out answer.

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
competition, employment, labour, corporate law (what kind of acquisition, a large plethora of details that would take a huge post to describe), financial law (borrowing restrictions etc), tax, IP, etc. Can be from a few to lots. It's a long story. Google Allen & Overy anatomy of a deal to have a snapshot. It's a video on YT; it was very helpful when I watched it for the first time :)

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
competition, employment, labour, corporate law (what kind of acquisition, a large plethora of details that would take a huge post to describe), financial law (borrowing restrictions etc), tax, IP, etc. Can be from a few to lots. It's a long story. Google Allen & Overy anatomy of a deal to have a snapshot. It's a video on YT; it was very helpful when I watched it for the first time :)
Thanks Frank! so I guess it’s pretty much the same points you look for when doing a domestic acquisition but then also going a step further by applying international law etc and other variables

Frank

Valued Member
Dec 12, 2018
Thanks Frank! so I guess it’s pretty much the same points you look for when doing a domestic acquisition but then also going a step further by applying international law etc and other variables

You're very welcome. On your point, yes and no. You would be looking at potentially the same things (though it's likely to be more in cross-border transactions, particularly outside the EU/EEA), but international law is actually excluded (based on your specific question). International public law refers to the legal obligations and relationships between sovereigns (hence in a private transaction it's useless). International private law is more about uniformisation, but don't really see this applicable per se; eg in dispute settlement yes - the codified UNCITRAL rules would be used in arbitration maybe.

Reactions: W

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
You're very welcome. On your point, yes and no. You would be looking at potentially the same things (though it's likely to be more in cross-border transactions, particularly outside the EU/EEA), but international law is actually excluded (based on your specific question). International public law refers to the legal obligations and relationships between sovereigns (hence in a private transaction it's useless). International private law is more about uniformisation, but don't really see this applicable per se; eg in dispute settlement yes - the codified UNCITRAL rules would be used in arbitration maybe.
Oh I see, thank you! So on your point on international private law, though like you say it might not be applicable depending on the transaction, would that usually cause for a situation where you would email the respective foreign legal counsels for local advice on that particular area of law?

Last edited:

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Oh I see, thank you! So on your point on international private law, though like you say it might not be applicable depending on the transaction, would that usually cause for a situation where you would email the respective foreign legal counsels for local advice on that particular area of law?
I do not think so

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.