Addleshaw Goddard VI

nonlawhelpme

Standard Member
Dec 22, 2021
Hi I just got invited to a VI with Addleshaw Goddard and wondered if anyone had any tips as this is my first cycle of applications so I'm pretty new to it all. What type of questions should I expect? Or are there any hints from people that have already interviewed could give me to prepare for?
Any advice would be much appreciated!!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi @nonlawhelpme, welcome to the forum!!

I don't know about Addleshaw Goddard in particular, but here are some general video interview tips:

Video Interviews - Tips and tricks:
How to sound more natural in answering VI questions - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....cheme-applications-discussion.2732/post-66504

More general tips on VIs - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nything-new-tcla-team-members.2911/post-46361 (refer to the post above the linked post as well)

Finally, TCLA's founder @Jaysen has compiled some of his own tips:

You're not alone if you find video interviews hard.

I suspect you haven't had significant exposure to answering one-way pre-recorded questions in front of a camera. It's a weird set-up, so it's perfectly normal if you struggle with keeping to time and staying composed.

The good thing is you can get better at video interviews over time. You can improve by practising short answers to on-the-spot questions.

To prepare, I suggest simulating a video interview as closely as possible. Find a time when you can complete your video interview free from distraction. Then:

1. Find a list of interview questions (like this one or this one) that you haven't prepared for.
  2. Give yourself 30 seconds to 1 minute to prepare.
  3. Record yourself answering those questions under varying strict time conditions of 1-2 minutes.
  4. Review your recording: Are you projecting your voice? Varying your tone? Gesturing? If you were the interviewer, would you find your answers convincing?
  5. Rinse and repeat until you can comfortably* answer any question within the time limit.

You will never know the questions that will come up across all video interviews, so the goal is to get better at answering on-the-spot questions, while staying composed and finishing on time.

Your answers will never be perfect, but you will get better at forming good answers under tight time conditions.

I hope this all helps :)

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.