Addleshaw Goddard

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi Guys,

I am trying to answer to this question: Collaboration is everything here at AG, we're a forward thinking organisation where talented people come together to solve complex problems for our clients, if you were recommending the firm to a potential new client – what would you describe as our most unique selling points?

I have various elements to consider such as ability to diversify the firm's business, technology and so on. But, I am struggling with the first part of the question how should i approach it? Should I mention my experience where I collaborated with others?

Arash

Dec 11, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am trying to answer to this question: Collaboration is everything here at AG, we're a forward thinking organisation where talented people come together to solve complex problems for our clients, if you were recommending the firm to a potential new client – what would you describe as our most unique selling points?

I have various elements to consider such as ability to diversify the firm's business, technology and so on. But, I am struggling with the first part of the question how should i approach it? Should I mention my experience where I collaborated with others?
Hi S
I'm looking to apply to AG and was searching around and found their Youtube channel , you might find some hints in their training related vids. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWrUaf5LUgi8ItTwLxaaXKw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Guys,

no - the question is not asking you to do this.

Reactions: S87

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Guys,

The first part is just giving you some context to the question.

I'd just flag, I see quite a few applicants approach this from the angle of how law firms can generally market themselves. Just make sure you're first taking the time to research AG and what makes it unique; this is an opportunity for you to show that you understand the firm and what makes it different.

Also note that the question is asking about how you'd recommend the firm to a potential new client, so consider what would be important here from their perspective.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    The first part is just giving you some context to the question.

I'd just flag, I see quite a few applicants approach this from the angle of how law firms can generally market themselves. Just make sure you're first taking the time to research AG and what makes it unique; this is an opportunity for you to show that you understand the firm and what makes it different.

Also note that the question is asking about how you'd recommend the firm to a potential new client, so consider what would be important here from their perspective.
    Thank you so much

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    just to add my two cents here - try to stick to maybe 2 or 3 points here as you really want to be showing some analysis. As Jaysen said, it is a new client so show an appreciation of what that might mean and always remember that a client's needs come first. You also want to be making sure that whatever you discuss is truly unique to Addleshaw Goddard - try not discuss things like a full service offering on a surface level because this is not unique to them. Really deep dive into their firm - look at linkedin - what have they shared, what are their lawyers sharing which might give you a glimpse into how they're trying to do things differently. You could also try and search for new clients and think creatively about why you think they might have selected AG as their legal counsel.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    just to add my two cents here - try to stick to maybe 2 or 3 points here as you really want to be showing some analysis. As Jaysen said, it is a new client so show an appreciation of what that might mean and always remember that a client's needs come first. You also want to be making sure that whatever you discuss is truly unique to Addleshaw Goddard - try not discuss things like a full service offering on a surface level because this is not unique to them. Really deep dive into their firm - look at linkedin - what have they shared, what are their lawyers sharing which might give you a glimpse into how they're trying to do things differently. You could also try and search for new clients and think creatively about why you think they might have selected AG as their legal counsel.
    Such a good advice!!

You are such a star @Alice G

• 🏆
    Reactions: Alice G

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    For the "current legal issue" question, does the topic need to be a strictly legal issue or a commercial issue?

I'm sort of struggling with ideas for this as even on the Chambers Student practice areas page most of the issues appear to be commercial issues, rather than legal..

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the "current legal issue" question, does the topic need to be a strictly legal issue or a commercial issue?

I'm sort of struggling with ideas for this as even on the Chambers Student practice areas page most of the issues appear to be commercial issues, rather than legal..

What’s the specific wording of the question?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Please choose a current legal issue that interests you and describe how it affects/may affect one of our key practice areas? (250 words)

To me that is very much suggesting legal first but that the “commercial” implications will come from it given the “affects one of our key practice areas”.

KS94

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 21, 2018
    To me that is very much suggesting legal first but that the “commercial” implications will come from it given the “affects one of our key practice areas”.

Thanks Jessica.

For some reason I'm really finding myself struggling with this. It's probably a standard question for most but I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

I've found AG's key practice areas, found a few legal issues, but they just don't seem like they will have the depth I need for this. For example, Brexit is a huge one but I'm sure everyone's had enough of it now. Really stuck at the moment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks Jessica.

For some reason I'm really finding myself struggling with this. It's probably a standard question for most but I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall.

I've found AG's key practice areas, found a few legal issues, but they just don't seem like they will have the depth I need for this. For example, Brexit is a huge one but I'm sure everyone's had enough of it now. Really stuck at the moment.

Is there something more specific within Brexit though? A particular legislative change you could focus on? What particular commercial matters interest you, and then work backwards to find the legislation around it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.