Advice Needed- Fail to Convert VS into TC. Re-apply for VS or Apply directly for a TC?

AspiringLawyer

Dec 30, 2019
Hello Everyone!

I have just came across TCLA (must have been living under a rock) and was wondering if anyone in the community has any advice for me based on my situation.

By way of context, I am a recent First Class Law Graduate from a Russell Group University. In the Summer of 2018, I undertook a Vacation Scheme at Norton Rose Fulbright but unfortunately did not manage to convert it into a TC. I was also NRF's Campus Ambassador. The feedback I received was positive, but my final TC interview let me down where I persisted with my point of view, as I thought I was trying to be 'caught out', yet later realised I had been mistaken. I was told at the time to re-apply, but during the final year of university, I suffered from difficult family circumstances and so chose to focus on my studies. I have recently got back in contact and asked NRF's HR if I can apply again based on my prior experience and I was advised I could apply for the Spring VC or the TC directly.

My question is which opportunity I should apply for. On one hand I view the VC as a way of showcasing my resilience, how I have worked on my feedback and a way to demonstrate how much my commercial awareness has improved. On the other hand, perhaps I would be more likely to be given a TC interview as 'one last shot', considering I have already experienced the NRF culture and gained experience there.

I feel like I am in an unusual position and don't really know what route to take, yet feel there is nothing to loose by making one last application!

Thank you all in advance for any views you might have.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would just apply for the TC - you have done the VS, and you were successful on the basis of it. Going for a direct TC will offer you the opportunity to re-interview.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hello Everyone!

I have just came across TCLA (must have been living under a rock) and was wondering if anyone in the community has any advice for me based on my situation.

By way of context, I am a recent First Class Law Graduate from a Russell Group University. In the Summer of 2018, I undertook a Vacation Scheme at Norton Rose Fulbright but unfortunately did not manage to convert it into a TC. I was also NRF's Campus Ambassador. The feedback I received was positive, but my final TC interview let me down where I persisted with my point of view, as I thought I was trying to be 'caught out', yet later realised I had been mistaken. I was told at the time to re-apply, but during the final year of university, I suffered from difficult family circumstances and so chose to focus on my studies. I have recently got back in contact and asked NRF's HR if I can apply again based on my prior experience and I was advised I could apply for the Spring VC or the TC directly.

My question is which opportunity I should apply for. On one hand I view the VC as a way of showcasing my resilience, how I have worked on my feedback and a way to demonstrate how much my commercial awareness has improved. On the other hand, perhaps I would be more likely to be given a TC interview as 'one last shot', considering I have already experienced the NRF culture and gained experience there.

I feel like I am in an unusual position and don't really know what route to take, yet feel there is nothing to loose by making one last application!

Thank you all in advance for any views you might have.
I would also advise going for a direct TC - if there is a cover letter or a space in which to do so, I would advise you discuss what it is you have done to try and work on the feedback you received. This sounds like in all fairness it was just an unfortunate misjudgement rather than something you can inherently work on but I think it can be good to show your growth and development when reapplying to a firm and demonstrates maturity and introspection :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.