Advice needed on SQE and career in general

jn21.apps

Standard Member
Jul 26, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping to get some advice on what steps I should take to best advance my career. I'm a final year LLB student at a RG Uni (graduating July 2022). This application cycle I was unable to convert 2 ACs for a Vacation Scheme at two National / Mid-Market firms. The resulting uncertainty has caused quite a few dilemmas.

Currently, I'm looking at 2 potential next steps:
1. Self-Fund the SQE starting September + Apply for Vac Schemes at the same time
2. Look for law-related work ASAP (e.g. paralegal, legal assistant, document review) + Apply for Vac Schemes at the same time

I have a few questions, which will help me out a lot:
1. Would self-funding the SQE increase my chances of securing a VS/TC for the concurrent application cycle?
2. I don't have any prior legal work experience. Would it be impossible to secure a paralegal or legal assistant job after graduating?
3. Is it worth self-funding the SQE, given I would be doing it before a potential TC anyways?
4. How can I continue to improve my profile after university (given I lose access to opportunities offered at university)?

I am open to suggestions which I may not have considered already. Also, I would be eligible to do the LPC; would there be any advantage to doing it as opposed to the SQE?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: elainehua

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Hello, these are just my thoughts on the above:

Firstly, congrats on securing two VSs in your second year - that's an amazing achievement and I'm sure these two experiences will help you in future VC/TC interviews.

Self funding the SQE v gaining legal work:
Personally, I would look for legal work experience over self funding the SQE, just because the SQE is still in its early stages therefore firms may want to put their trainees through a tailored version of the SQE. Gaining a TC first is likely to mean that your future firm will pay for your SQE course, give you a grant and you'll get to study with future trainees at your firm.

The main advantage of self-funding the SQE is that once your TC is secured, you may have the opportunity to be put in an earlier intake.

Answers to the questions above:
1. If you're looking looking at firms which do offer training funding/grants, I don't think self-funding the SQE would increase your chances of securing a VS/TC. When firms are interviewing you, my understanding is that this isn't a big factor.

2. You do have legal work experience - you have two VSs :). There are plenty of legal assistance/paralegal/doc review roles which don't require any work experience. A lot of these roles are advertised on LinkedIn.

3. Same as above - personally, I wouldn't self-fund as this doesn't increase your chances of securing a VS/TC (but others may have different advice).

4. You can still talk about everything you have done in university on the TC/VS apps you send out. You can always get involved in local sports clubs, volunteer opportunities and there are loads of organisations you can get involved with to increase your commercial awareness (Aspiring Solicitors, GROW etc). Also, a lot of firms will open applications for their open days in Sept.

5. LPC v SQE: I think a lot of people who are considering self-funding have this question and there is a lot of advice on the SRA website. However, as firms are generally moving towards the SQE I think I would be leaning towards this route. Again, that's probably a reason I would be keen to get a TC first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Abii and jn21.apps

jn21.apps

Standard Member
Jul 26, 2021
Hello, these are just my thoughts on the above:

Firstly, congrats on securing two VSs in your second year - that's an amazing achievement and I'm sure these two experiences will help you in future VC/TC interviews.

Self funding the SQE v gaining legal work:
Personally, I would look for legal work experience over self funding the SQE, just because the SQE is still in its early stages therefore firms may want to put their trainees through a tailored version of the SQE. Gaining a TC first is likely to mean that your future firm will pay for your SQE course, give you a grant and you'll get to study with future trainees at your firm.

The main advantage of self-funding the SQE is that once your TC is secured, you may have the opportunity to be put in an earlier intake.

Answers to the questions above:
1. If you're looking looking at firms which do offer training funding/grants, I don't think self-funding the SQE would increase your chances of securing a VS/TC. When firms are interviewing you, my understanding is that this isn't a big factor.

2. You do have legal work experience - you have two VSs :). There are plenty of legal assistance/paralegal/doc review roles which don't require any work experience. A lot of these roles are advertised on LinkedIn.

3. Same as above - personally, I wouldn't self-fund as this doesn't increase your chances of securing a VS/TC (but others may have different advice).

4. You can still talk about everything you have done in university on the TC/VS apps you send out. You can always get involved in local sports clubs, volunteer opportunities and there are loads of organisations you can get involved with to increase your commercial awareness (Aspiring Solicitors, GROW etc). Also, a lot of firms will open applications for their open days in Sept.

5. LPC v SQE: I think a lot of people who are considering self-funding have this question and there is a lot of advice on the SRA website. However, as firms are generally moving towards the SQE I think I would be leaning towards this route. Again, that's probably a reason I would be keen to get a TC first.
Thanks for your reply Lisa,

Just to clarify, I didn't manage to get those 2 VSs. I was rejected at the assessment centres for both. I should've been a bit clearer on that haha.

Your input is very helpful though. It sounds like the uncertainty surrounding the SQE syllabus at the moment would make biding my time and applying for the next cycle without self-funding a better option.

As for the legal assistant/paralegal/doc. review roles, are these recruited for at a certain time in the year, or is it demand dependent?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
Sep 2, 2020
There is no cycle for paralegal roles so you could apply immediately. You might just want however to obtain a masters loan and do the LPC in September full time as you are still allowed to remain under the previous system having started your LLB in time and hope a firm will take you on without the SQE as a lot of firms like the older familiar LPC route. I do realise most of the bigger firms have moved en masse to the SQE about this year but not all firms will have done so - however I am certainly not an expert.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Thanks for your reply Lisa,

Just to clarify, I didn't manage to get those 2 VSs. I was rejected at the assessment centres for both. I should've been a bit clearer on that haha.

Your input is very helpful though. It sounds like the uncertainty surrounding the SQE syllabus at the moment would make biding my time and applying for the next cycle without self-funding a better option.

As for the legal assistant/paralegal/doc. review roles, are these recruited for at a certain time in the year, or is it demand dependent?
Ah apologies - I completely misread that but it's still an achievement to get to the AC stage.

Paralegals/doc review roles are recruited for all year around but I think there is more demand in July/Aug, as a number of paralegals leave their roles to start their trainings contracts/LPC in Aug/Sept.

I think it may be worth using the search function on this site too, to see what others have considered when weighting up the same decision you are now. Ie.g. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nd-sqe-prep-course-vs-wait-for-tc-offer.4566/

As I said, in the meantime, I would prioritise submitting a few good apps before the end of this cycle, getting to 2 ACs already means you're clearly writing good applications.

Reactions: jn21.apps

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
I'm a current LPC student, I do it part time and started in 2020 so prior to the SQE starting. I only took my place on the LPC as I got a full fee scholarship from the Law Society. I would not have self funded it. I have found in apps in this cycle that many firms would now requite me to to do SQE 2 to begin a 2024 TC.

I am a current paralegal and got my first London based commercial law paralegal role without the LPC with 2.1 non RG LLB. I would work in your position, many firms will fund the SQE but not necessarily retrospectively so you may end up spending money you didn't have to, especially as you reached AC this cycle so you clearly have strong potential to get a TC. Also working in a business role will hugely help your real world commercial awareness and working as a paralegal will give you a huge amount of transferable skills and insight into the work - whether that be by being in a firm and seeing how they really work or in-house and seeing what legal work clients require from law firms and working with them.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
I'm a current LPC student, I do it part time and started in 2020 so prior to the SQE starting. I only took my place on the LPC as I got a full fee scholarship from the Law Society. I would not have self funded it. I have found in apps in this cycle that many firms would now requite me to to do SQE 2 to begin a 2024 TC.

I am a current paralegal and got my first London based commercial law paralegal role without the LPC with 2.1 non RG LLB. I would work in your position, many firms will fund the SQE but not necessarily retrospectively so you may end up spending money you didn't have to, especially as you reached AC this cycle so you clearly have strong potential to get a TC. Also working in a business role will hugely help your real world commercial awareness and working as a paralegal will give you a huge amount of transferable skills and insight into the work - whether that be by being in a firm and seeing how they really work or in-house and seeing what legal work clients require from law firms and working with them.
wow - amazing to have had your whole LPC paid for by the Law Society, I didnt even know they did this!

Last edited:

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    wow - amazing to have had your whole LPC paid for by the Law Society, I didnt even know they did this!
    They do - it's a diversity initiative and includes mentoring opportunities as well. It's a terrific opportunity for people who might not otherwise be able to thrive.

If anyone reading this is considering their options and know they've really had to cross some oceans to get to this point, the deadline for 2022 is 20 April and you need to fit the eligibility criteria:

elainehua

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Hi, I realised that your post is almost 1 year!

I am in a very similar situation as you now (final year RG LLB student, in the dilemma of not getting VS), except I am also an international student with visa problems to sort out... (from what I read, I think paralegals sounds like the most desirable options in securing TC, but the difficulty is whether firms are willing to sponsor tier 2 visa)

I am curious as to what you resolve in doing in the end. What whether you have any advice for me. Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.