Advice needed - SQE

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Hi all,

I'm thinking of self-funding the SQE at the University of Law next year (with a view to getting a paralegal role that'll lead to a TC) - I have a couple of queries about the various options open to candidates:

1. What does the timeframe tend to be for exams (i.e. if I started in September, roughly when would I be taking my exams)?
2. Would it be preferable for me to choose the LLM-style option (this has more content than the basic SQE 1 and SQE 2 courses, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the normal options, so I'm reluctant to pay more than I need to - on the other hand, I've been told by people I've spoken to at the University of Law that firms are tending to use this LLM option more than the other ones, so I'm also reluctant to pay for a course that some law firms might perceive as being inferior/not comprehensive enough!)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

@Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I'm thinking of self-funding the SQE at the University of Law next year (with a view to getting a paralegal role that'll lead to a TC) - I have a couple of queries about the various options open to candidates:

1. What does the timeframe tend to be for exams (i.e. if I started in September, roughly when would I be taking my exams)?
2. Would it be preferable for me to choose the LLM-style option (this has more content than the basic SQE 1 and SQE 2 courses, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the normal options, so I'm reluctant to pay more than I need to - on the other hand, I've been told by people I've spoken to at the University of Law that firms are tending to use this LLM option more than the other ones, so I'm also reluctant to pay for a course that some law firms might perceive as being inferior/not comprehensive enough!)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

@Jessica Booker
1) If it is a SQE1 and SQE2 prep course set within an academic year, I would expect you’d sit SQE1 in January and SQE2 in July. I am not sure when you would sit your other assessments if it was an LLM course though, I would assume May though.

2) Law firms won’t care where you have done a SQE prep course - they never cared where you did the LPC, so this won’t be any different (and ULaw are bound to say something to at benefits them in terms of selling courses).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.